Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I’m fucked. What’s atomics warranty policy?

I dropped onto a rock and the top sheet is beginning to separate. Can I repair these? And/or will atomic replace them since I’ve only skied them 10 days? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1592.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	308745

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

isn't that kinda like wrecking a car and trying to get it fixed under warranty?

My buddy blew out the sidewall like this under his binding on his G3 saints.

We fixed it by cutting out the sidewall, digging the damaged core out of the ski, putting it on it's side, and filling the void with epoxy resin mixed with cut up fiberglass mat. It cured perfectly flat and smooth into a new sidewall and core. He got another few seasons out of them, highly recommended fix.

What kind of manufacturing defect are you going to claim happened?

PM Rontel, he use to work at Atomic in the warranty department.

yer fucked

but giver a try
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Back in the atomic Beta days, I took a huge air and mega-slap-landed (tails landed first, and...slam!) on some bulletproof. The stupid plastic tip broke off the ski and went flying. I figured it was pilot error but figured I’d try Atomic anyhow. I was 100% honest about what happened, and...they hooked me up with a new pair of skis.

So probs worth at least giving them a call. Good luck

Now you're going to find out which shop has skills in the back room, and which shop doesn't.

can we see the bases? If there isnt an obvious point of contact (which I can't see in these pics) i'd say it might actually be a warranty issue. Giver a shot.

Obviously, not a manufacturer defect. That being said, I honestly think it comes down to where you purchased the skis from and what you paid for them. If you bought them from a shop that is close to skiing, is a moderate to big account for Atomic in that territory, and you paid within 10-15% of MSRP, I think you would have a pretty good chance at a good faith warranty or perhaps a single ski kicking around their warranty dept for very cheap.

Gflex epoxy and lots of clamps. Leave clamped for a few days

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    can we see the bases? If there isnt an obvious point of contact (which I can't see in these pics) i'd say it might actually be a warranty issue. Giver a shot.
    Yeah there is a super obvious point of contact haha and you can see 2 sets of stress marks on the side wall haha. Really it’s definitely user error but maybe atomic will take pity on my soul.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1596.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	308761

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    My buddy blew out the sidewall like this under his binding on his G3 saints.

We fixed it by cutting out the sidewall, digging the damaged core out of the ski, putting it on it's side, and filling the void with epoxy resin mixed with cut up fiberglass mat. It cured perfectly flat and smooth into a new sidewall and core. He got another few seasons out of them, highly recommended fix.
    Yeah there’s no way I have the skill to do this+I’m at snowbird approximately 2376 miles away from my ptex and lighter. Fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Now you're going to find out which shop has skills in the back room, and which shop doesn't.
    Yeah on that note how’s snowbirds shop? I’ll go in today and see what they say. Maybe I can leave the skis with em for a few days

Quote Originally Posted by bowboybb View Post
    Yeah on that note how’s snowbirds shop? I’ll go in today and see what they say.
    I'm sure they've seen something like it before, looking forward to what Atomic says

Yeah there is a super obvious point of contact haha and you can see 2 sets of stress marks on the side wall haha. Really it’s definitely user error but maybe atomic will take pity on my soul.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1596.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	308761

sure doesnt look like a bad enough hit for the damage done if you ask me. ive for sure had bigger coreshots that didnt result in topsheet delam. Hell that looks like total structural failure.

Good luck with warranty. I would for sure try, and if you are in SLC now Atomic (Amer) is in Ogden.

^^^ skiing across a rock shouldn't blow out the sidewall and topsheet. However stomping the landing on one just might.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Yeah there’s no way I have the skill to do this+I’m at snowbird approximately 2376 miles away from my ptex and lighter. Fuck.

Dang, too bad nobody around Snowbird sells p-tex LOL

For a DIY fill with epoxy and clamp job it will take a day or two to fully cure enough to ski on again. After that, ski with that damaged ski on your left so the good edge is inside.

I’m betting if you’re straight up honest you either get new skis or super discounted skis.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I’m betting if you’re straight up honest you either get new skis or super discounted skis.

And then they can tell everyone how core they are and that they're sponsored by Atomic hahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    What kind of manufacturing defect are you going to claim happened?
    "I was just skiing along"
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    sure doesnt look like a bad enough hit for the damage done if you ask me. ive for sure had bigger coreshots that didnt result in topsheet delam. Hell that looks like total structural failure.

Good luck with warranty. I would for sure try, and if you are in SLC now Atomic (Amer) is in Ogden.
    Yeah that’s my feeling as well. Main issue is i don’t have proof of purchase since I bought off eBay for 275.

What’s the atomic shop at Ogden like? Is it worth my time to go there?

except he didnt slide across a rock and shred some p-tex , he dropped straight on to a rock in a direct hit which caused some pretty big structural damage, it might pry apart, jam in some 2 part, clamp, not much base damage but its still gona need more than a lighter and some p-tex,
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yeah that’s my feeling as well. Main issue is i don’t have proof of purchase since I bought off eBay for 275.

What’s the atomic shop at Ogden like? Is it worth my time to go there?
    You broke $275 eBay skis and you want them to be warrantied?

Take a lap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    ^^^ skiing across a rock shouldn't blow out the sidewall and topsheet. However stomping the landing on one just might.
    I don’t really see this happening to a ski from companies with burly construction like ON3P, Moment, Icelantic, etc.