how tight is too tight: an uncooked liner conundrum

Thinking about buying some new low volume intuition pro tour liners. Tried them on at the bootfitter and they are very tight around the top of my foot and generally extremely snug. Bootfitter says this is expected and baking them will fix the issue, but I don't want to spend 200 dollars on something that ends up being useless. If I have a good LV shell fit, how should the liner feel before cooking?

An intuition should be uncomfortably tight prior to backing. In the process of baking the liner softens allowing it to compress to form into shape around your foot.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    An intuition should be uncomfortably tight prior to backing. In the process of baking the liner softens allowing it to compress to form into shape around your foot.

/thread

if they are too tight you could get them molded again

I had pwraps in a mercury shell , when i upgraded to a Vulcan shell I thot I could just swap em and be good cuz its suposed to be the same shell but actualy the Vulcan is just a red C-hair lower in volume than the mercury so buddy ( pretty much the pro ) at Intuition in Vancover remoulded with the buckles cranked a couple more notches

I have 15mm behind my heel in a shell fit, what do you have ?

you could ask Intuition for another opinion
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Not sure, but I recently found boot Nirvana by putting a 102mm lasted Powerwrap higher volume liner in my Krypton Pro (comes stock w/ 98mm lasted Powerwrap); it was also ~1/8" longer.
    Baked with a big toe cap and quarter sized pad on my inner ankle.
    Seems to have cured my chicken feet / huge ankle issue.

For the last three ski days I haven't had to unbucked my boots all day!

May you also find boot Nirvana.

Do Boothisattvas exist?
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

This. I was asking myself the same questions as you my first time. They HURT out of the box before baking. In hindsight though they could even have been a touch tighter and might've baked even better.

They're sweet.

you wana go on shell fit and don't worry about the unbaked fit

If you have ever tried the Garmont from 10 yars ago like the Endorphin or Adrenilen it was unpossible to ski or even wear those boots for > 5 minutes in the shop without baking, the bootfitter had to basicly guarranty the fit

So for a low volume pro tour liner, the correct size should be "buckles close, feet in pain after 5-10 minutes"

Last year I bought a Pro Tour MV for my Vulcans, baked them, fits great.

I bought some used TLT6P shells (black/orange the wider ones) hoping that I could just re-use the Pro Tours without rebaking, but it’s extremely tight, no way I can ski them as is.

Since I already baked the liners for the Vulcans, not sure if the foam can still compress enough to accommodate my feets in the TLT6, or if I should buy some Pro Tours LV.

Even if it worked then I may have a sloppy fit in the Vulcans I guess, ideally I wanted to use the same liner in both shells. Though choice !

Quote Originally Posted by soyboy80 View Post
    So for a low volume pro tour liner, the correct size should be "buckles close, feet in pain after 5-10 minutes"
    I have the pro tour medium volume. It was moderately uncomfortable before even doing up buckles. Had I attempted to keep the uncooked package on my feet for 5 to 10 minutes, pain would have been more than mild discomfort.

It sounds like you're on the right path.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    you wana go on shell fit and don't worry about the unbaked fit
    Exactly.

Read above. How it feels before heat molding is irrelevant.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    Last year I bought a Pro Tour MV for my Vulcans, baked them, fits great.

I bought some used TLT6P shells (black/orange the wider ones) hoping that I could just re-use the Pro Tours without rebaking, but it’s extremely tight, no way I can ski them as is.

Since I already baked the liners for the Vulcans, not sure if the foam can still compress enough to accommodate my feets in the TLT6, or if I should buy some Pro Tours LV.

Even if it worked then I may have a sloppy fit in the Vulcans I guess, ideally I wanted to use the same liner in both shells. Though choice !
    Some times you can swap liners i did this with some Sidas liners I swapped straight over from my Xena's to the mercury

and then Mercury is virtualy the same shell as Vulcan but I think the TLT6 is just way too different,

I would look for another liner

if you never done a shell fit you put yer nekid foot in the shell with no liner, with toes touching front of boot look for 9-14mm between heel & boot shell, some people use fingers but its better to use an object like a sharpie felt marker which is 15mm