Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Jacket repair help

My Trew pit zit came unwelded. It has done this twice before in which i used an iron to reattach it. This last time I used seam seal. Well the seam seal didn’t bond well with the rubber edge of the zipper. Made for a cold day skiing today. I need ideas in how to repair this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1890.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	179.1 KB 
ID:	308717

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    My Trew pit zit came unwelded. It has done this twice before in which i used an iron to reattach it. This last time I used seam seal. Well the seam seal didn’t bond well with the rubber edge of the zipper.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...king+gear+with

I wonder why it didnt work ? I've stuck latex rubber to coated nylon or gortex for beer or money literaly hundreds of times in my dry suit repair gigs

did you rough up the edges of the area to be joined with emery cloth and/or clean with some fucking nasty solvent like acetone, toluene cuz body oils can interfere with the product sticking ?

I would try the liquid ureathane product again, i would clean well, I would try to clamp or weight the area during the cure, If that is hard to do ( and it does look that way) do it in several applications, cover the repair with a piece of plastic bag and clamp or weight

then once its restuck do a second app of AQS with some backing material over the joint, I would cut an inch of super thin nylon material OR a used dryer anti-static sheet works awesume cuz you can squeegee AQS right thru it,

Use a little bit of aqs to stick the backing material down, cover with some plastic bag and clamp or weight

you really want to be careful to not get aqs in that zipper, so cover it with masking tape
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Not that it helps but what size jacket? I have a Trew Cosmic that I think is the same orange, size large. It's got about a half season on it, selling cause the sleeves are a little short for me. PM me if you're interested.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Maybe a warrant issue. If not Rainy Pass Repair is the best in the business and do great work. http://rainypass.com

Rainy Pass does good work, although you can buy a decent used sewing machine for the price of one or two Rainy Pass repair bills.

I have repaired several welded seam failures by sewing them, an easy fix with a home sewing machine by someone with basic sewing skills. I recommend setting up a home machine with V46 thread and #16 needle for these sorts of repairs. You may need to adjust the tension if the machine was previously set up for wimpy dressmaker thread.

Thanks for the ideas everyone! Not sure why the repair failed as I took all the necessary precautions before and during the application.
    Swerve, I’ll shoot a pm.
    GeezerSteve, sewing this up was my next move as i have a sewing machine and use it pretty regularly.
    I’ll coat the threads with aqua seal when complete.

Will Trew not repair?

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Will Trew not repair?
    It’s an older jacket that has seen a ton of days. I would rather repair it myself then have to ship it off and wait 2-3 weeks for it’s repair and return.

Gotcha

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Thanks for the ideas everyone! Not sure why the repair failed as I took all the necessary precautions before and during the application.
    Swerve, I’ll shoot a pm.
    GeezerSteve, sewing this up was my next move as i have a sewing machine and use it pretty regularly.
    I’ll coat the threads with aqua seal when complete.
    Somebody commented that using AQS is not rocket science but actualy IME its messy tricky shit to work with for a good repair, for literaly hundreds of drysuit repairs glueing latex seals to gortex I have never sewn anything

Ain't fancy, but I've had good luck with gorilla tape and then using a hair dryer + pressure to weld the glue to the fabric. Also works for whitewater kayak repairs with overlapping runs of tape.

ain't permanent either ^^ I used to layer ductape on WW kayak hulls, it would take alot of scuffage on rocks showing no wear but you had to replace the tape twice a season

That was not my experience, at least with tape on the inside of the boat and not subject to abrasion.

If you are cold with your pit zip down you aren't skiing hard enough...
    C'mon 2F I thought you were hot shit!?!

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    If you are cold with your pit zip down you aren't skiing hard enough...
    C'mon 2F I thought you were hot shit!?!

Hahahaha!
    I was expecting warm temps so just a light base layer on under jacket. The wind was ripping so with wind chill it was 12 deg.

We could use some cold weather smdh

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    We could use some cold weather smdh

I hear that. Hope you guys get it with much needed precipt!

Pray for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    That was not my experience, at least with tape on the inside of the boat and not subject to abrasion.
    First trip with a 4" crack right under the seat of a dancer, I put on 3 overlapping layers, ran it over 2 doz gravel bars and the tape was still all there.

I did that for 5 yrs before getting rid of the boat, the tape would just weather so that outside silver layer would seperate from the other stuff/come off so it was better to just scrape it all off twice a season and reapply for what a roll of ductape costs

Jacket repair help

Update. Completely redid the repair with new AQS. Followed my normal protocol for prepping the area. Clean, scuff, clean again with alcohol. Applied AQS. Let it tack, applied both surfaces. Got creative with being able to apply weight to the seam as it’s an awkward location. Let cure for 48hrs.
    Repair held up perfect for 3 days of powder frenzy last weekend. Guessing my AQS from the first batch was bad since it was old.

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    Also works for whitewater kayak repairs with overlapping runs of tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    ain't permanent either ^^ I used to layer ductape on WW kayak hulls, it would take alot of scuffage on rocks showing no wear but you had to replace the tape twice a season
    The real fix here is a weld.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    The real fix here is a weld.
    I’ve seen vinyls mastic and seam grip work wonders on creek boats.
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChief View Post
    I’ve seen vinyls mastic and seam grip work wonders on creek boats.
    I wonder how well a bondic repair pen would work for this. Instant repair

2F, curious if you contacted Trew and if so what they said.

I have an old Trew jacket that's my favorite piece. It's having a few minor but annoying failures and I've not reached out to them in consideration of its age and the fact that the failures are good old fashioned 'normal wear and tear'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.