Question Sony A7r III Users - Crop Mode?

To the A7r 3 users out there, do you use crop mode much? If so, have any crop mode images you can share? Any gotchas with crop mode while using FE lenses? On paper it seems like you've got the best of both worlds...super high resolution with the ability to extend your reach in crop mode.

Initially, I was looking at the A7R 4...while it creates stunning images, I'm a little hesitant with the file sizes it generates at 120 megs per raw uncompressed. The more I find out about the 3, particularly with the firmware update in 2019 which folks seem to rave about (improved already fast focusing), it seems like the right camera for me. Would a crop mode pic be of similar quality to something from an A6X00?

I've never used the A7Riii, but I had the A7iii for most all of 2019 and I used crop mode quite a bit. On our Chasing Epic trips, I almost always took the A7iii and 18-135mm lens. On the A7iii, the files were reduced to 10MP in crop mode... not a big deal for my use (online posting and social media), but it's one thing to be aware of.

I didn't notice any change in performance when it comes to AF, etc. Here are a few shots I took throughout the year:

Thanks...Looks pretty good. The A7r 3 puts out an 18MP file so it will probably work just fine. Think I can sell my A6300 and just have a two camera quiver, the RX100 VII and then the A7R 3.

Don't have any samples as i haven't shot on that body much - but when I've played around with it I found the resolution more than suitable for internet release. And being able to increase the range you can shoot out to is really nice.

A7r IV arrives today. Overkill but my older macbook pro handles the raw files just fine in DXO, so I'll just deal with the storage issues.

Sony A7r III Users - Crop Mode?

Ugh, external hard drive is your friend..

I’m running a mac pro from 2012 and it continues to be a beast. No sense in bogging it down with huge image files.

Just a quick update...took the A7R IV out to a wildlife refuge. Absolutely stunning photos. Used the 70-200 FE f4 and switched to crop mode for extra reach. When I looked at the detail of the photos on the computer, I though I accidentally shot in full frame. The cool thing is that i set up a custom button to switch from crop to full frame on the fly, so as you look through the view finder you can see the difference before you take the shot. Really happy I went wit the 4 because the speed, ergonomics and focusing are all awesome. I bet the next release of the A7 will have a lot if not all the same benefits minus the 60MP sensor.

I'll be using crop mode a lot...like two cameras in one. A6300 is on ebay as I type.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado_Freeskier View Post
    Just a quick update...took the A7R IV out to a wildlife refuge. Absolutely stunning photos. Used the 70-200 FE f4 and switched to crop mode for extra reach. When I looked at the detail of the photos on the computer, I though I accidentally shot in full frame. The cool thing is that i set up a custom button to switch from crop to full frame on the fly, so as you look through the view finder you can see the difference before you take the shot. Really happy I went wit the 4 because the speed, ergonomics and focusing are all awesome. I bet the next release of the A7 will have a lot if not all the same benefits minus the 60MP sensor.

I'll be using crop mode a lot...like two cameras in one. A6300 is on ebay as I type.
    absolutely agree on A7R IV, the quality of photos is amazing!