Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I sold all my touring gear last summer. Couldn't keep up with the Jones and it was all getting dated anyways, and hadn't used it in a while.
    If I started over, I'd get a 100mm waisted ski with decent tip and tail rocker, camber under foot, and Fritschi Tectons (with a spare toe in case of failure en-route).
    And probably start going to the gym again. I'm slightly tall and 215 lbs dry, hence the 100mm waist ski. If I was actually fit, I'd settle at 95mm and reap the slightly
    lighter setup rewards. Small JONGS might even want to consider 85mm. For small, lightish JONGS (< 155 lbs), I'd say that 85mm is a perfectly reasonable width unless
    high always expected BLOWER INDEX LEVEL.

Nothing worse than side-hilling a 100mm ski, with a 25lb to 30 lb pack, for 11+ kms per day,
    only to discover that the float that 100mm provides is not nearly enough to keep skier + pack,
    afloat. If it is really about 'the down' then go 112mm or wider in powder.or hire a skidoo.

What use is any UNICORN SKI if the weight of the gear is going to leave
    said ATHLETE exhausted by the time they get to the cabin, or get to the saddle,
    to bag a peak and do an actual fun run or two?

Better to take a skinny ski and actually learn to ski powder (dolphin, bounce or whatever) than a fat ski and
    suffer lifting that beast with every step.

I don't tour anymore, so take that all with a grain of salt.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Dooley View Post
    Those look pretty awesome. Anyone have experience on them, or know where to get them? On first glance, uber-euro, probably no stateside distribution?
    https://offpistemag.com/ogso-skis-quiver-of-one/

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Thinking of going for the vision 98 as well, 6'1", 165 lbs. Could I get away with the 179 and a light boot? Or is the ski easy enough to ski to get a 186 for tooring only? Haven't had a chance to see the skis in person.
    I think that is another “know thyself” question and answer. I chose the Vision 98 as my lightest, narrowest touring ski as part of a three ski touring quiver. I like it because I’m used to skis with mount points of -3 to -6cm from true center, flat or minimal camber, and soft to medium flexing tip and tails. I’m 5’10” 145 lbs. If you are looking for a ski with those attributes, then I think the Vision 98 would work well for you.

The rocker profile on that Down ski looks awesome. What would the mount point be from true center?

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I think I could do that. It just looks right.
    104 is manageable up and down.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    I think I could do that. It just looks right.
    104 is manageable up and down.
    Just manageable? 10-15 years ago a104 waisted touring ski was considered a wide ride

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Just manageable? 10-15 years ago a104 waisted touring ski was considered a wide ride
    Weeeeell, it is a bit heavy at 3.2 lbs per ski.
    But I'd say 100mm is a target and honestly the extra 4mm isn't going to be a deal breaker.
    It isn't a spring tour ski, but those dimensions would hit the spot pretty well for any PNW off-piste/backcountry.
    With that nice rocker and almost flat base, it would ski well,
    even with a hot coffee in one hand.

May The Schwarztor be with you.

Been digging around for a new pair of everyday soft snow touring skis for the with a modern shape and came up with a list of possible suspects. Trying to keep it 95-100 in the waist and under 1500gr for a 178 length, medium flex, reasonable price (~$500)
    Dynastar Mythic 97 - Been on these for 3 seasons and love them. Peter Glenn has the 177s for $499 right now
    Beast 98 - It was on the short list, i was trying to stay under 1500grams though
    Volkl VTA 98 - Just ordered a pair
    2020 Camox Freebird - rocker still seems pretty traditional?
    2020 K2 Wayback 96 - ditto, but there seems to be a be good reviews out there. The 106 has a nice long rocker on it.
    Fischer Hannibal - Loved my 100s, would buy again
    DPS - The tour build up seemed pretty soft and $$$
    Movement - $$$
    Voile V6 - Had the V8, thought it was ok, didn't like the tail and the soft flex and skied short. I had a pair of Vectors a long time ago too.
    G3 Seekr - Hard to find info, lot of dough for a Chinese ski
    Kastle TX98 - Would buy a pair if I find a deal on the 178s. Looks interesting
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

^ the TX98 looks veeery similar in dimensions to the 179 Carbon Bro’s I used to have but broke one of. that ski was perfect for everyday soft snow skiing. Kaestle is just expensive

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Dynafit Beast 98
    Volkl Mantra V-Werks
    Volkl BMT 94 (as mentioned)

4FRNT Raven - maybe the best variable condition backcountry ski IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    This is what I have for this purpose. Easy to pivot on shit / frozen snow as you make it back to the trailhead. A little wider and heavier (not much) than the OP requested, but it's pretty close.
    x3
    I've been on these exclusively this year.
    I was looking for a light weight version on the Devastator (power steering, mank eating, pivot machines) but was concerned with the lack of tip width in the Raven. These are the narrowest skis I've used in years but, since I live in NM, not Japow, I realized the majority of bc days are not in 3' of blower so I gave them a shot. 4FRNT's "try for three days guaranty" helped ease the worry.
    I've been blown away by the performance. I've had them in knee deep fresh and shin deep sticky, sierra-style, inbounds, cut up mank and they have amazed me. While not quite the crud destroying power of the Devis, they are are far closer than they have any right to be.
    Definitely punch above their weight class.
    At 1700 grams, perhaps a little heavier than the OP was looking for but well worth it for the strength in variable, i.e. most real backcountry, conditions.
    Maybe not a full on Unicorn, but close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

How has the Dynastar Mythic not come up yet? Surely it has and I'm just not reading things right? Sounds like almost exactly what you want...

How about the movement Alptrack 100?
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

^ neither are full rocker, afaik

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    How has the Dynastar Mythic not come up yet? Surely it has and I'm just not reading things right? Sounds like almost exactly what you want...
    Because it has a shit ton of camber and side cut, which is the exact opposite of what the OP wants.
    Perhaps it’s amazing in weird snow despite that....