Cracked boots [Not boots on crack]

So, I noticed about a week ago, a crack in my K2 Pinnacle boots. This is the original "transparent" Pinnacle - 2014-2015, IIRC - not the newer more florescent lime green, opaque ones.

And not just in one boot, but in both - in the exact same location and size.

Is this a common thing for lots of overlap boots, something "special" on the Pinnacles, or am I just "special" and the one on crack?
    These probably have ~100-125 days on them.

[Fortunately, I'd picked up another pair of boots, as a "just in case" pair (Technica Cochise Pro), wondering when/if my boots might die - so it's not a huge deal - but it's one of those "Should I plan for this on the regular?" questions.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cracked-boots-20191226_202059.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	933.5 KB 
ID:	308265  

Not common for overlaps. Very common for that K2 boot as i know a few that had that exact issue.

Exact thing happened on a pair of transparent orange langes I had. Drilled a small hole at the terminus of the crack and it was good to go for another season after that.

I like the newer Pinnacles [and the newest mindbenders look very sweet]

Are there similar problems with the more recent Spynes/Pinnacles? I'm probably going to start bottom-feeding for cheap boots that come across my radar and seeing what's nice that's a couple of seasons old for cheap. And my feet aren't unusual, so I can't mostly fit any 25.5 I run across.

To put it in perspective, I'm probably only out $150 total for both the Pinnacles and the Technicas. The Pinnacles were in super sweet shape (looked unused) more than 4 years ago, and the Technicas are in reasonable shape. So, I may be looking for quite a while before I find that "deal" - which is fine. I'm patient, and I'm set for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    Exact thing happened on a pair of transparent orange langes I had. Drilled a small hole at the terminus of the crack and it was good to go for another season after that.
    Yeah, that's an option. Anyone have an opinion about doing that. [I suppose, if I don't find it impacts the performance, it's probably just up to a "feel" thing. But still open to the experts opinions....]

Is it possible that the over flap side got snagged under when buckling them in a hurry? That would totally cause the shell to crack right about there.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Yep. Drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it from growing and ski on.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Is it possible that the over flap side got snagged under when buckling them in a hurry? That would totally cause the shell to crack right about there.
    While I'm hesitant to GUARANTEE it's never happened, I'm nearly certain it's never happened. In every case I've seen where that happens, it puts a kink in the other overlap piece. In fact the used Technicas I picked up recently had obviously had it done to them. It wasn't super bad, but it was pretty ugly. A heat gun and some flat-jaw needle-nose pliers removed most of the kink, and they mate quite a lot better (lie flatter).

That happened to my Rossi Squad 130s about a 1cm long and never increased and didn't seem to affect flex much. My old lange freeride 120 started cracking in a season and got a replacement pair of shells after two seasons. Crack was pronounced by then and was affecting flex. Replacement shells lasted about same. So were dead after two seasons.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

I just noticed the same exact thing on both shells of my 2014 Lange rx 120s. It might be in my head, but I think the flex feels less progressive. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2800.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	308276

I notice some of the reports are about translucent plastic. Is there something about that formulation that might be a cause of the problem?

Also, repeat of the question about the newer Pinnacles. Has anyone seen this on the newer versions? [A mag has offered me a pair of newer Pinnacles, and I'm considering it. But if it's a continued problem, I'm not sure I should go that direction. Perhaps just get through the season with the Technicas.]

Can you really add translucent color to plastic ?

I'm betting translucent plastic just doesn't have any color added

which is most likely to be what weakens plastic

I've got translucent Dalbellos which I have misbuckled ... no probelms
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

^^ @Mister-snarky-pants...

...Or the translucent is a fairly different formulation to allow it to be extra clear, instead of say, hazy/milky, yet colorless. And that different formula has different physical properties.

10 yars ago you would be lambasted on TGR for snow flake-age

but I don't wana damage your psyche any further ...TGR a kinder/gentler place

I don't know anything about plastic so I can't say, there is probably a post in TGR somewhere on the make up of ski boot plastic

what I did notice with a clear shell is the amount of condensation inside the boot which you can see in the pict 3 posts above

I was seriuosly overloading a pair of Garmont womens boots to the point all the fasteners were always loose but the plastic never broke
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-30-2019 at 12:25 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Was an interesting blister podcast a while back on ski boot plastics https://blisterreview.com/gear-101/a...plastics-ep-54

Sounds like you are pretty limited in plastic types if you go clear.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Strippers are experts in all clear plastic footwear options.... Just saying

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    So, I noticed about a week ago, a crack in my K2 Pinnacle boots. This is the original "transparent" Pinnacle - 2014-2015, IIRC - not the newer more florescent lime green, opaque ones.

And not just in one boot, but in both - in the exact same location and size.

Is this a common thing for lots of overlap boots, something "special" on the Pinnacles, or am I just "special" and the one on crack?
    These probably have ~100-125 days on them.

[Fortunately, I'd picked up another pair of boots, as a "just in case" pair (Technica Cochise Pro), wondering when/if my boots might die - so it's not a huge deal - but it's one of those "Should I plan for this on the regular?" questions.]
    Found this thread since I'm having the exact same issue on my 2015 Pinnacle 110's (the grey ones, https://www.coloradoskishop.com/K2-P...shoppingengine)

Seems a couple other Pinnacles had this problem, I'd lean towards whatever they had to do to make the plastic translucent. Next boots will not be. Was hoping to get another few seasons out of these, but with getting into the backcountry, may be time for some new lighter, do it all boots anyway. What are people's suggestions for boots like the Dalbello Lupo, K2 Mindbender, Atomic Hawx etc for both in-bounds and BC?

I've cracked 2 pairs of salomons and a pair of rs130s (overbuckling). I end up getting cracks in between the top and bottom ladder where the ladder holder portion meets the full shell.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"