Return From Injury Stoke

As a few of you might know, I suffered a Grade VI – top of the scale, most severe – tibial plateau fracture in April. Today was my first day back on skis, and though I only did two super short, mellow laps skinning up Snoqualmie West, I'm just really glad to be back out there again. My knee's still awfully weak, and the lateral stability isn't where it needs to be for me to be able to ski the way I'd like to yet, but it's a good start and I'm glad I was able to get out at all.

No pictures to share unless any of you morbid fucks want to see the x-rays, but just wanted to share my appreciation for being out in the mountains again, even in the smallest of ways. I'm also super grateful to have friends who are stoked to come out and ski very little vert on ultra mellow terrain in lousy conditions with me, if it means getting me back out there. Eddie, you're the man.

Nice! Keep at it, you'll be back to full strength in no time.

Awesome! Glad you were able to get out there and make some turns.

Great news.
    How's conditions up by you?

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Great news.
    How's conditions up by you?
    Pretty shit at Snoqualmie. November and early December were super dry, and though things picked up over the last couple weeks, it's been warm, so a lot of the precip fell as rain at lower elevations. Things are supposedly a bit better up higher, but I obviously haven't been up to see for myself quite yet.

Good to hear, HAB!

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    As a few of you might know, I suffered a Grade VI – top of the scale, most severe – tibial plateau fracture in April. Today was my first day back on skis.
    Good for you man! Right there with ya. Mine was a grade 5 tibial plateau fracture with 2 plates and 12 screws in mid March. Just got back on skis 2 weeks ago for a few runs. It hurt like hell but got better as I skied a bit more.

Funny how your entire life can change in the blink of an eye. Craziest injury I’ve ever had by far. Never would’ve thought a tibial plateau fracture would be so savage. But it’s absolutely freaking brutal.

Keep at it and keep building those muscles back up. Stoke!

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Good for you man! Right there with ya. Mine was a grade 5 tibial plateau fracture with 2 plates and 12 screws in mid March. Just got back on skis 2 weeks ago for a few runs. It hurt like hell but got better as I skied a bit more.
    Yeah, incredibly brutal injury. Mine took 4 plates and 22 screws to put back together.

The couple (ultra mellow) laps I skied didn't hurt too badly, but my knee just didn't feel stable. I've been mountain biking for a while and starting to hike a bit, but skiing just takes some muscles that I don't have back yet. Keeping at the PT and I'll be back to normal eventually!

Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Broke my radius/ulna the last week of October. Just got the cast off and have been trying to improve the range of motion and strength. Can't wait to get out and make some turns!

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Yeah, incredibly brutal injury. Mine took 4 plates and 22 screws to put back together.

The couple (ultra mellow) laps I skied didn't hurt too badly, but my knee just didn't feel stable. I've been mountain biking for a while and starting to hike a bit, but skiing just takes some muscles that I don't have back yet. Keeping at the PT and I'll be back to normal eventually!
    Holy Shit. That's a metric fuckton of hardware.

I ruptured my Achilles in April. Yesterday with my 9th this season dodging rocks on low-tide groomers. Had to get new liners to mold around the scar. Just now starting to crank on the repaired side without thinking about it. Still a ways to go to full strength on that side but like you say it's good to be out playing in the snow again.

Good luck to you mang.

And ditto the shoutout to friends who still go out with you when you are rehabbing and way the fuck out of shape.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Holy Shit. That's a metric fuckton of hardware.
    Yeah.... Don't recommend it!