Salomon Ghost - Is there another boot like it?

I’ve been on a Salomon Ghost/Shogun 100 for the past 12 years or so and I’ve always skied it with the old Conformable liner ( adding some stiffness). Every time I try a 4 buckle boot, I can never get it to be the right stiffness without making my shin/uppper ankle sore. Too soft. Too stiff. Back and forth. I then go back to my ghost and the flex feels neither too soft nor too stiff and my leg doesn’t hurt behind the upper buckle at all. Even at just 100 flex, the boot feels stiff enough for my weight - 145lbs. Honestly, with the foam liner it skis like a freakin race boot - so precise.

Is there another alternative with similar flex characteristics? What is so unique about the ghost? I’ve tried the Krypton, but the fit feels weird so I’m weary of paying to get it foamed. I’m tempted to try the S Max but I have not had great luck recently with 4 buckle boots. And should I try the same 100 flex in the S Max?

Try the krypton, but take the spoiler blocks out from under the rear cuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    Try the krypton, but take the spoiler blocks out from under the rear cuff.
    I've tried them on a couple times and it never felt right, but I never did much modification or customizing. I just thought about it more, and I haven't really gotten along with previous AT boots until I tried the F1 Evo, which of course has the same cabrio construction as the Krypton.

The Ghost 100 is still out there in some sizes. I loved everything about that boot but taking it off.

Quote Originally Posted by weibo View Post
    The Ghost 100 is still out there in some sizes. I loved everything about that boot but taking it off.
    Word. Taking them off in single digit and below temps is just fucked. But...I love my Ghosts more than any alpine or touring boot I’ve ever had. Bummer they quit making them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Word. Taking them off in single digit and below temps is just fucked. But...I love my Ghosts more than any alpine or touring boot I’ve ever had. Bummer they quit making them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I’d buy them in a heartbeat if they brought them back.

Is the 100 FS same as the old 100?

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    I’d buy them in a heartbeat if they brought them back.

Is the 100 FS same as the old 100?
    Anyone know about the 100 FS? It says 100 mm last but then someone on another forum says it’s actually 98mm despite being labeled at 100mm.

The Salomon QuestMax 100/130 was close. It took a bit more finagling to get the boot dialed in, but once it was, you had that similar pressure that the ghost gave down the entire length of your ankle/shin. My one complaint was that the lack of an actual lock between the lower shell and upper cuff allowed you to buckle the boot into your ankle of you managed to overflex the boot.

Otherwise, the boot had a comparable feel to the Ghost, though probably not QUITE as responsive - I was willing to compromise on that for some warmer feet and better ability to hike/tour.

I also moved from the Ghost to the QuestMax and can confirm that it is a little less precise. I’d say its 98 mm last is more generous it has more space over the instep. It is also warmer, which I appreciate! I would also appreciate a little tighter fit.

https://sidelineswap.com/gear/skiing...host-ski-boots

looks like the athlete version with the different cuff. 26.5 and $50 bucks. would be a decent pickup if that's your size.
    bumps are for poor people

Struggled with trying new boots as well, was on the Ghost as a BC boot (gotta love that they have a tech block available) and really liked it, went to the Atomic Ultra Hawk trying to cut weight and have been happy for the four days I've skied it. A few more days out and I'll get the shell cooked and see what happens, hoping to love it of course :-).

I was freaked about moving on from the Salomon Falcon and a bootfitter friend finally got me into the S-Max, cooked the shell/liner before day 1, they have been kick ass for almost three years now.

I have a pair of Ghost 130 (the yellow ones) 26.5 shells (no liners) that I'd trade for a 6 pack, din blocks only.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Struggled with trying new boots as well, was on the Ghost as a BC boot (gotta love that they have a tech block available) and really liked it, went to the Atomic Ultra Hawk trying to cut weight and have been happy for the four days I've skied it. A few more days out and I'll get the shell cooked and see what happens, hoping to love it of course :-).

I was freaked about moving on from the Salomon Falcon and a bootfitter friend finally got me into the S-Max, cooked the shell/liner before day 1, they have been kick ass for almost three years now.

I have a pair of Ghost 130 (the yellow ones) 26.5 shells (no liners) that I'd trade for a 6 pack, din blocks only.
    I have an S Max arriving on Monday. Hopefully I can get it to work.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm a 100 flex guy and I actually have a pair that are in decent shape besides being 9 years old. I am just looking for something to last the next 10 years.

Well, I tried an S Max and got it foamed at Surefoot. I skied it today and it seemed like it wasn't as responsive laterally as my Ghost 100 (also with Surefoot foam). It actually didn't feel very responsive at all. So I put my new Surefoot liner in my old Ghost - perfection! It's more comfortable than my old Surefoot liner, but the hold all around is amazing. I'm calling it good and will be on the look out for a Ghost 100 shell in a 25.5 for when this shell wears out in 5 years. This is an example of new tech not always being better. Lighter yes, but I have no doubt the Ghost skis better than the new S Max. Which is ironic because some well-known bootfitters have scoffed at me when I mention I ski in it. "Oh yea, a park boot" they say. Not quite. I think I recall something about the old Ghost shell being from the "race room" Maybe that has something to do with it .

Salomon Ghost - Is there another boot like it?

Nope, nothing like them. Been skiing my Ghost 120s for ten or eleven years, I love them. I put new intuition liners in them a few years ago and that revamped them but the toes and heels are getting pretty worn down so I've been looking on and off for new boots for the last couple years but couldn't find anything I liked nearly as much as the Ghosts. Walked into the local second hand shop the other day and found a minty pair of Ghosts in my size for $36. I'm set for another ten or fifteen years now, so glad. I believe in ghosts.
    Last edited by NessThinMint; 01-25-2020 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    "Oh yea, a park boot" they say. Not quite. I think I recall something about the old Ghost shell being from the "race room" Maybe that has something to do with it .
    Sounds like some inexperienced bootfitters. The Ghost came from the same or similar injection as the Falcon. the SPK was the "park boot."

I've been thinking I need to replace my OG (White and Black) Ghosts (130). Like everyone else, they're real hard to get out of and frankly I've been skiing them for long enough that I'm thinking about a change.

I thought maybe my Cochise 130's could do it, but they just don't drive skis the same.
    Just picked up some used XMax 120's. They fit and feel good, after skiing them they're still missing something compared to the Ghosts.

I think I'll be in my Ghosts a bit longer...

I've got a pair of black and white 130's, great shape, in a 26.0 if anyone needs them. Would just be looking to cover shipping costs.

Like this, but not as beat up:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	salomon-ghost-used-ski-boots.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	316219

Got a pair of 130 Orange and Blacks, sans logo in a 26.5 for sale if people are interested.
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates