Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best place to get my eyes blasted by lasers

I'm in MT but willing to travel. I have an astigmatism in both eyes but minimal correction.
    Out of pocket expense so here we go.
    Denver, Seattle, Sacramento.
    Who's had it done?
    100% correction or issues at night?

Mexico?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Mexico?
    Looking for a reputable location

I’m getting mine blasted by lasers at Deadmau5 on NYE https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x5p2bI9lKks

Quote Originally Posted by lobstahmeatwad View Post
    I'm in MT but willing to travel. I have an astigmatism in both eyes but minimal correction.
    Who's had it done?
    I just saw my doc last week; like you, I have astigmatism but minimal correction. He said LASIK is a poor choice for me, since I would still need reading and computer glasses. Is it worth $3k to have marginally better distance vision? Not to me. Maybe if you wear glasses for driving or skiing, but if not, you don’t really gain much.

I should add that my doc is 63; he had LASIK done in his 40’s. He was wearing glasses during my exam.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    I’m getting mine blasted by lasers at Deadmau5 on NYE https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x5p2bI9lKks
    I’ve been following Qrion for years. She is a great talent.

Got Lasik done 17 years ago in Denver by Dr Hines. Totally worth it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    I just saw my doc last week; like you, I have astigmatism but minimal correction. He said LASIK is a poor choice for me, since I would still need reading and computer glasses. Is it worth $3k to have marginally better distance vision? Not to me. Maybe if you wear glasses for driving or skiing, but if not, you don’t really gain much.

I should add that my doc is 63; he had LASIK done in his 40’s. He was wearing glasses during my exam.
    Everyone wears reading glasses at 50. LASIK corrects near sited so you need reading glasses sooner. No big deal. For sports, lasik is an epiphany. I had dry eye (two years) and (still have) ghosting but I would run to get it done again. I ski and play golf.

Honestly, the machine does all the work so just make sure you get your prescription right. Be rested and don’t use a computer or phone for a couple days. I didn’t ask for it but I ended up with slight monovision and it’s ok. I asked for the best distance vision possible and got 20/15 r 20/25 l. Your nearest strip mall probably has the latest machine and software.

When I had mine done I could only read the Big E and had astigmatism. If you can do it. Do it.

It depends on how bad your vision is, of course. OP said he needed minimal correction, so it might not gain him much. Lots of factors.

I had a tendency for dry eye before I did it and knew the risks. Two year struggle was totally worth it.

If you don’t need glasses to ski you are a good candidate because your vision not that bad. Less burn. I would have been lost without glasses before LASIK.

Who's had it done?
    i think lasik is all the same with commentent doctors. if you don’t care about rehabbing on the beach then at least canada is 30% off. calgary?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Lasik was easily the 2nd best money I ever spent on myself. My vasectomy was the best, no question. But Lasik was great. Got mine done more than a dozen years ago at icon in Denver. Was ~$900/eye iirc. Great. Great. Great. Can't tell you how little I miss contacts and glasses.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Everyone wears reading glasses at 50.
    Not me @ 58. I always had lots of correction, contacts are -3.75 & -4.0. I see perfect to 16".

Wife had hers done at 52, hates it. She had minimal correction and good reading vision before. She just traded distance glasses for readers, she wish she never had it done

Yeah not me either. I wish I could get lasik for distance but my near vision is still perfect and I don't want to mess that up.

Progressive lenses where the reading part is just clear glass with no prescription has worked well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Your nearest strip mall probably has the latest machine and software.
    Clearly you have not been to MT.

Clearly you have not been to MT.
    I'm in MT and have lasers in my office. What is it you need done again, something to do with your eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    I'm in MT and have lasers in my office. What is it you need done again, something to do with your eyes?
    What could possibly go worng?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    What could possibly go worng?
    I mean, it seems like a decent percentage of Lasik reviews read approximately like that. I've got astigmatism but perfect near vision and will happily continue putting in contacts to go skiing.

Name:  Nick_Riviera.png
Views: 269
Size:  11.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Not me @ 58. I always had lots of correction, contacts are -3.75 & -4.0. I see perfect to 16".

Wife had hers done at 52, hates it. She had minimal correction and good reading vision before. She just traded distance glasses for readers, she wish she never had it done
    When they told me I would need reading glasses I was out. Really wanted the procedure because I'm a hockey goalie.

I got Lasik 3 years ago in Sacramento. Griffin and Reed, one of the best in town. I was 20/400 with a 6 cylinder astigmatism in my left eye. Contacts didn't work for me, so I skied with glasses. Lasik corrected it to 20/40 and my right back to 20/20.

Stuff to consider: the main drivers for the laser are your eye pressure and corniea thickness, not your Rx. There are a lot of pre-surgery and post surgery appointments (and if not, there should be). Pre-surgery to determine if you're even a good candidate, post-surgery to insure your eye is healing correctly and not infected, and then follow-ups to make sure it was successful. The results are damn fast, but it's your vision and it's not worth fucking up. I think I had 7 appointments or so all in: 2 prelim, the surgery, and 4 post. Post were day after, week after, month after and 6 months after iirc. I didn't have significant complications, just needed some moistening drops for 2 or 3 months.

You will still need readers in older age. The eye relaxes after 40. It has nothing to do with the cornea shape that Lasik fixes.

The guys that advertise the cheap price don't count the follow up care in their ads. Yes, the computer does the cutting and shaping. Dr. manipulates the cornea flap, which is where issues can arise. Yes, the software and hardware is mostly the same. Boeing makes planes that will takeoff and land on autopilot, but who do you really want at the controls if the shit hits the fan?

The experience is pretty wild though as you watch it all go down. Pink Floyd show on acid as the room melts away. I did freak out a bit once the smell of the first eye hit me. Nurse had to calm me down before they started the second.

The real question is what does Lasik solve for you? If you can wear contacts, I would say no. I couldn't wear contacts and it interfered with sports and life in general for me.

I do get some starbursts around headlights at night, but I also got that with my anti-glare glasses. VMMV.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

I always figured that you pay the better guys more not because they're necessarily better at the procedure for the average case, but to recognize when you're not the average case, when things aren't normal or don't happen as expected.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Mexico?
    Word, Dr Cheyet did mine maybe 20 years ago and the old eyes are still 20/40 (they have regressed a bit over time). They were 20/400 when he did the procedure and like others have mentioned, all my follow up was done by an associate ophthalmologist in San Diego.
    http://www.codetvision.com/drarturo_e.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    I did freak out a bit once the smell of the first eye hit me. Nurse had to calm me down before they started the second.
    TGR Forums mobile app

WTF? Damn......may just keep with the contacts.

I thought they give you Valium (or modern day equivalent) to prevent this?

No comment on where to have it done, but I had my LASIK done almost 20 years ago and it is still the best money I've ever spent on myself.

Quote Originally Posted by pepperdawg View Post
    WTF? Damn......may just keep with the contacts.

I thought they give you Valium (or modern day equivalent) to prevent this?
    The smell of burning flesh... yes. Some use a nose filter and fragrance to cover it but don’t be a pussy. Watching the razor edge cut your eye is more disconcerting. Remember that the flap is held back only by natural adhesion. I can still see the edge of my scar if I look close enough.