Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SkiScribe Centerline Tool

To address a straight forward, no math approach to locating ski centerlines we are starting to handmake and offer SkiScribe Centerline Tools with AB12 & Insert Tap Guide.

Here is a 3d Web View of the final design. The difference between the final design & the current version is the added tap holes to assist you to keep your taps vertical. Flip the tool over to use. The current scribe hole currently fits a typical pencil tight but will be optimized for a mechanical pencil which will be included after the next run:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ski_ScribeGuide_v1-bot.png 
Views:	341 
Size:	866.0 KB 
ID:	307985 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ski_ScribeGuide_v1-top.png 
Views:	266 
Size:	799.9 KB 
ID:	307986

Made in Colorado, USA out of repurposed hardwood with accuracy provide by CNC router & Laser Cutter and finished by hand.
    Find your ski center in seconds:

• Place the SkiScribe diagonally on the top of the ski with the pegs against the edges in front of the binding toe piece.
    • Run the SkiScribe down the edge or make tick marks with a SHARP pencil in the center holder creating a line matching the ski's contour.
    • Rotate the SkiScribe and repeat on the other edge.
    • Repeat behind the binding heel piece.
    • Double check Ski Edge to closest line on each side for a match. Adjust if necessary.
    • Split the difference between the two lines and mark the center in front & rear locations.
    • Draw a centerline with a straight edge.
    • Place binding template or jig on cneter line and Boot Sole Center (BSL)

There are two 'rulers' laser etched into the sides. One is the same as the SlideWright Centering Ruler Sticker. The other is a new ruler to measure from the Ski Edge to the Center. The two options provide unlimited uses, including the following:

• The Centering Ruler can quickly ballpark ski width and center relative to the ski edges at any given changing width down the ski. This can give quick reference for centerline location.
    • Measure center between two screw holes and their layout
    • Measure screw lengths directly or installed length from top of binding
    • Locate the center of odd shape or linear items up to 140mm/5 1/2"
    • A handy tool for countless uses beyond skis

Check out our tuning tips topics for further assistance:

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Alpinord; 01-12-2020 at 10:29 PM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Wouldn't ya just rotate the piece to snug up the steel bedges against those dowels to draw the line ergo I don't see a purpose for the scale on the side ?

The only issue as I see it would be if the pencil is not centered, but then you could just rotate it the other way and draw another line which should be bang on the first line

If it isn't just split the difference and Bob yet uncle
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Wouldn't ya just rotate the piece to snug up the steel bedges against those dowels to draw the line ergo I don't see a purpose for the scale on the side ?

The only issue as I see it would be if the pencil is not centered, but then you could just rotate it the other way and draw another line which should be bang on the first line

If it isn't just split the difference and Bob yet uncle
    The scale looks to be a means of verifying your center point. I can visualize someone not paying attention and applying uneven pressure against the two dowels (skewing their results). The scale with center point could serve as a double-check.

[edit] I was editing the comment (above) while Terry posted the same thing ;-) [/edit]

This is a nice, simple tool. Nice extra feature - the tap hole guides.

I made one once (gotta use a drill press for this). I gave up on getting a drill bit size to match the hole size of my pencil, so I chucked it. Terry solves that problem without one having to hunt down drill bits.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-28-2019 at 07:20 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

As noted above and in this post, scribe a line with the tool diagonal from each edge with the pegs against the edges. Use the scale to double check adjust/split the difference as necessary.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Yeah I didn't read ever thing and I would probably lose the piece of wood

But it would definitely work on theory
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Still can’t access your site using Xfinity as my ISP.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Still can’t access your site using Xfinity as my ISP.
    Did you go through the security settings adjustments as recommended by xFinity?

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Did you go through the security settings adjustments as recommended by xFinity?
    Ya, I have tried everything, and I can't get access to the site.

As an update, for those interested: I'm ironing out a few 'sequencing and finish issues', but have an 'acceptable' batch almost finished and can be Ordered Here. They are made out of cherry. I've tossed a couple previous batches as unacceptable. There are many steps for each run requiring multiple sub-steps to go correctly and accurately or it's a bust.

I checked out the disposable mechanical pencil options. They're crap and the idea of disposal pencils is a non-starter for me. I found a decent, refillable mechanical pencil that will be included in .5mm & .7mm choices. They fit in the scribe hole with 3 contact points/diameters for a very good fit. The bottom hole is laser cut so the lead holder tip is tight and only the lead will project. The tap guide holes will be very handy for those wanting to keep the tapping dead on vertical.

Name:	IMG_2397.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	310.1 KB 
ID:	310414

Name:	IMG_8059.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	313.6 KB 
ID:	310413
    Last edited by Alpinord; 01-12-2020 at 10:30 PM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

As an update, here is the latest refinements to the SkiScribe Centerline Tool. I've improved the process to get an even tighter fit for the mechanical pencils:

Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

I just use my salomon jig (with a center hole) and mark a couple spots. Easy peasy.

And your reasoning for posting that in this thread is????
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

It’s a much easier way to do what your thingy does.

Most people don't own Salomon jigs.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

SkiScribe Centerline Tool

Terry, can you point me back to the post of how this works? Or do you have something on the website?

Is the point of it to create an X at center to work off of?
    I’m trying to understand how the diagonal doesn’t get a variety of locations since ski edges change thru their length. Or, is it close enough to create the spot?

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Terry, can you point me back to the post of how this works? Or do you have something on the website?

Is the point of it to create an X at center to work off of?
    I’m trying to understand how the diagonal doesn’t get a variety of locations since ski edges change thru their length. Or, is it close enough to create the spot?
    (I do need to produce a video and more images when I can.) This is an old no math 'carpentry trick' for scribing equidistant marks relative to irregular edges and shapes. It also will work great for quickly finding center of parallel edged boards or other objects or materials.

By holding the pegs diagonally (ie left end UP along left edge and right end DOWN against right edge) you scribe a line (or make a mark or series of marks) relative to the contour of the changing ski thickness. Then rotate the SkiScribe and do the opposite (ie left end DOWN along left edge and right end UP against right edge) to scribe a mirroring contour. Halfway between the contours at any point will be very close to or dead on center. This will quickly give you a 'target' to confirm and/or adjust using the ruler by making tick marks. Do this up from the toe piece and down from the heel. Use a straight edge to connect your ticks and draw the centerline. The farther apart the less margin of error off center (hopefully 1/10ths of mm at worst). This all can be done in seconds once you 'get it' and develop the confidence.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Kinda what I was expecting...thx for the explanation!

Answer 2:
    Because I’ll post whatever the fuck I want in your SPAM THREAD for your “make a simple task more complicated” invention.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Answer 2:
    Because I’ll post whatever the fuck I want in your SPAM THREAD for your “make a simple task more complicated” invention.
    Were you born an asshole or did it take practice? He also offered up an easy do it yourself solution based on the same concept, how is that spam?

Hadn't heard of the carpentry trick, thanks Alpinord.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Received mine yesterday and I’m psyched! Simple process and accurate.

Thanks guys. If you get a chance, please post up pics of your mounting process and any tool improvements you might see.

Apparently, PetiMan is off his meds or has an agenda. Maybe he simply hates VERY small businesses (or hates me personally) owned by someone who has put in countless hours in TGR over a dozen years, providing support, tips and innovative options for DIYers to help them save money and time, taking care of their gear, optimizing performance and mounting their own bindings....including multiple ways to measure and layout the centerline. It's interesting (and telling) that I sure didn't see him or anyone do a call out when an initial, blatantly spam post by someone for DPS Phantom Glide was posted. There was no callout (and there should not have been) for JigarRex, Binding Freedom and others, either. Therefore, it is appears to be highly subjective what is and what isn't spam on TGR. Who you are seems to play into this hypocrisy. Many terms come to mind about the strength of one's character and relevance of those who 'enforce' this double standard.

On the 'making a simple task, more costly' front, Phantom Glide costs hundreds, if not thousands of dollars for multiple skis to glide 'OK* and not spend $25 on wax. The SkiScribe Centerline Tool is a $25 tool that enables the DIYer to confidentially save time and stress getting accurately set up for DIY binding mounts. It'll last years and can be used over and over for binding mounts, simply measuring ski geometry and countless other measuring tasks outside of skiing. It also can be used as a tap guide.

(*FTR, I just helped a buddy wax his wife's skis over Phantom Glide because he wanted them to glide better.)

I do this out of enjoyment, not because there is any real profit. I work other jobs so I can make a living. DIYers are inherently cost conscious. We are dwindling in an already small percentage of the ski and snowboard market. If I was business smart, I would have pulled the plug years ago due to increased competition, shipping and advertising costs, The Amazon Death Star, extremely thin margins, dealing with web assholes and spending an unbelievable amount of time and headaches.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Thanks guys. If you get a chance, please post up pics of your mounting process and any tool improvements you might see.

Apparently, PetiMan is off his meds or has an agenda. Maybe he simply hates VERY small businesses (or hates me personally) owned by someone who has put in countless hours in TGR over a dozen years, providing support, tips and innovative options for DIYers to help them save money and time, taking care of their gear, optimizing performance and mounting their own bindings....including multiple ways to measure and layout the centerline. It's interesting (and telling) that I sure didn't see him or anyone do a call out when an initial, blatantly spam post by someone for DPS Phantom Glide was posted. There was no callout (and there should not have been) for JigarRex, Binding Freedom and others, either. Therefore, it is appears to be highly subjective what is and what isn't spam on TGR. Who you are seems to play into this hypocrisy. Many terms come to mind about the strength of one's character and relevance of those who 'enforce' this double standard.

On the 'making a simple task, more costly' front, Phantom Glide costs hundreds, if not thousands of dollars for multiple skis to glide 'OK* and not spend $25 on wax. The SkiScribe Centerline Tool is a $25 tool that enables the DIYer to confidentially save time and stress getting accurately set up for DIY binding mounts. It'll last years and can be used over and over for binding mounts, simply measuring ski geometry and countless other measuring tasks outside of skiing. It also can be used as a tap guide.

(*FTR, I just helped a buddy wax his wife's skis over Phantom Glide because he wanted them to glide better.)

I do this out of enjoyment, not because there is any real profit. I work other jobs so I can make a living. DIYers are inherently cost conscious. We are dwindling in an already small percentage of the ski and snowboard market. If I was business smart, I would have pulled the plug years ago due to increased competition, shipping and advertising costs, The Amazon Death Star, extremely thin margins, dealing with web assholes and spending an unbelievable amount of time and headaches.

Just ordered one because of ill-berides rant.

Have ordered a few things from slidewright over the years, always great service.

Thanks Alpinord

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Have ordered a few things from slidewright over the years, always great service.

Thanks Alpinord
    +1 Terry provides needed support for DIYers

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Just ordered one because of ill-berides rant.

Thanks Alpinord

Word, I also just ordered. I think this is a neat tool, and I'm happy to support someone putting what is clearly a lot of time and effort into a project that is intended to help others. Support DIY, and those supporting DIY!

Sure, maybe it's a simple concept, but it's cleaner than what I was doing before as a humble non-jig owning simpleton, so I'm willing to give it a shot and support someone who is putting effort into the community.

Thanks Alpinord.