Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Tik-tok muthafuckers
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

My summer plans are already filling up fast, but I'm gonna see if I can swing some time off for a river trip. I'm in a similar spot as tgapp, no boat and sort of a newb, but lots of time on the river with friends sitting in a raft.

Lottery loser once again.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Lottery loser once again.
    You already got the notice?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i aints a loser
    i just never win shit playin river lotto
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Yep. San Juan, Dino Green and Yampa.
    Still waiting on Idaho permits.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

My wife and I struck out on Yampa and San Juan again. I'm not holding my breath for success on any ID permits either ...

I struck out as well

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I got one. June 10th

River Jong here (except I grew up in Idaho and have done the middle fork before). Who wants to help me make this happen?

well yeah will row 4 .....
    sheldons in
    who wants to carry all my shit so we can rock the dory?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Intriguing...

Also a good date to turn the corner. Not lottery for the main until 6/19.
    Could be scary high, but with our snowpack likely not..

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    I got one. June 10th

River Jong here (except I grew up in Idaho and have done the middle fork before). Who wants to help me make this happen?

dude! congrats

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    dude! congrats
    If people wanna join then hit me up, I've got a very open roster

Preference given to those with experience, chill attitudes, and long standing mags.

Like I said I am riverjong but I am willing to put in whatever work is necessary to make this happen, and I've got a fair bit of experience handling logistics for expedition style trips.

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    Intriguing...

Also a good date to turn the corner. Not lottery for the main until 6/19.
    Could be scary high, but with our snowpack likely not..
    Given the levels of snotel sites I don't think that June 10 is gonna be too scary. It would take a massive series of storms to get us back up. Not impossible but increasingly unlikely.

What's your people/boat max? How many days?

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    What's your people/boat max? How many days?
    12 boat max. number of people/length of trip possibilities are as follows:

• Group Size (21-24) - Maximum Trip Length: 6 Days (5 nights)
    • Group Size (11-20) - Maximum Trip Length: 7 Days (6 nights)
    • Group Size (1-10) - Maximum Trip Length: 8 Days (7 nights)

Ideal would be a group between 11-20. I don't think we would need (nor want) 6 nights in June. Looking at historical data, the average depth at the middle fork lodge on June 10th is just under 5 feet (4.8) which is higher but not impossibly high. Given where our snowpack is at, I think June 10th might be extremely feasible.

That is looking like a great date. I'd throw my name in but I would have to become single for missing a family wedding on the other side.

Way to go! Glad someone got a MFS, and def consider turning the corner. A weird note on the main salmon site says they’re reserving camps starting 6/15 (but main lottery season doesn’t start till 6/20), maybe to alleviate traffic issues? I’m confused.

If high pressure continues and we end up like last year the flow 6/10 could be really good.

To add some additional context:

In 4 of the last 10 years the water level was under 4feet @ mile 33
    In 5 of the last 10 years the water level was under 5 feet
    In 1 of the last 10 years the water level was above 5 feet (7 feet in 2017, fuck that year)

Source: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...ev3_029251.pdf

To give a little more context on the winter of 2017, the Salmon river drainage was sitting at 160% of it's average: https://nws.weather.gov/blog/nwsbois...-year-summary/

but we are currently at 97% of the average: https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/reports...+Update+Report

So I'd say we have about a 9 in 10 chance of this trip being a go. I'll take those odds

i don't understand what turning the corner means, just continuing down the main? do i need permits? what would i need to do to make that happen?

Congrats! That is super cool. If I hadnt already booked myself up to chase tarpon in the keys I would be hounding you for a spot!. That being said let me know if you need gear - dry bags, etc... Might even be able to free up a rubber boat for ya...
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

more oar strokes food weed and beer

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Congrats! That is super cool. If I hadnt already booked myself up to chase tarpon in the keys I would be hounding you for a spot!. That being said let me know if you need gear - dry bags, etc... Might even be able to free up a rubber boat for ya...
    hell yeah, thanks dude

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    more oar strokes food weed and beer
    yeah the stoke level is pretty fucking all time right now

--

one last data point, if you drop the clear outlier (2017) from that dataset, the average river height on june 10 is 4.03 feet, which is (IMO) absolute money. perfect conditions.

Middle Fk Salmon permits and summer BBI

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    i don't understand what turning the corner means, just continuing down the main? do i need permits? what would i need to do to make that happen?
    The mythical ‘turning the corner’: yes, instead of ending your MFS you just keep on truckin to corn creek and check in w/ the rangers there. You get a permit (unlimited outside of lottery season) and have another great 80 miles/5 days of river to the takeout. Or go all the way to the Snake

Quote Originally Posted by skivan View Post
    The mythical ‘turning the corner’: yes, instead of ending your MFS you just keep on truckin to corn creek and check in w/ the rangers there. You get a permit (unlimited outside of lottery season) and have another great 80 miles/5 days of river to the takeout. Or go all the way to the Snake
    Hmm okay, lottery controlled permits on the main begin on June 19th, so that is 100% possible. All I need to do is buy a permit.