Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    We canceled our 6/15 launch if anyone wants to try and snag it.

tBatt, you guys still going? The forecast looks to be right at 6' for the 5th, big rocking water!
    We also canceled. 6-6.5ft seems pretty fucking spicy. Bummed to bail, but that's how it goes.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

We did 4.5' many years ago, and it wasn't insane but it was still big water, 6.5 would be pretty hudge.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Somebody died near Boundary Creek last week.

BOISE—A Washington man is dead after a boating accident on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River in Custer County.

Robert Gray, 63, of Mill Creek, Washington, was floating the river on the afternoon of May 24 “when his raft struck a log jam, throwing him into the water,” according to a news release from the Custer County Sheriff’s Office.

The accident took place around 2:30 p.m. near the Boundary Creek boat launch, northwest of Stanley.

“Robert Gray, tired and cold, could not self-rescue and was carried away by the swift current,” the release said.

According to the release, the river was running high with a water temperature of 40 degrees Fahrenheit. The sheriff’s office was notified of the incident around 7 p.m. that evening by the victim’s family.

Around noon Wednesday, Custer County Search and Rescue located a body matching Gray’s description by helicopter, submerged in a log jam downstream from Boundary Creek, the release said. As of last week, Gray’s body was still in the river, as rescuers have determined the river is currently too dangerous for retrieval, the release said. 

6' gets pretty sporty.

My 1st time down the MF was 1991ish and a self support kayak trip (back when there were pit toilets) at 6+' with our group launching on Marsh Creek. I barely had a roll at that point.

Marsh Creek was a blur with several large snow bridges that had recently collapsed into the creek from avalanches all winter crossing the creek. River wide log blockage was a real threat but all went well. I was pretty stressed about the Impassable canyon when I should have been stressed about the 25 miles from Boundary to Indian Creek. Turns out most of the lower "Big" rapids were washed out and hardly there. Also I never noticed it on that trip but Ski Jump is a real barn burner at high water.

Oh well, my sister and BIL are arriving on 6/15 so we will float something around here.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    sumstimes youre the Louisville sluggers
    sumstimes youre the ball
    sumtimes it all comes togather........
    windsheilds n bugs

thanks for runnin the ligistics and the invite
    ill be back on that water someday
    hopefully with the latest god as a copirate

my plan b is a week outta dutch john a b c on the green
    try n score pugmire, red creek or treetops a couple nights, then float down into browns park
    camp at boblandia or swallow and down to crook
    maybe a poopfish day on the gorge
    hearin a little buzz about

bugs
    #asgoodasdryflygits
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    We also canceled. 6-6.5ft seems pretty fucking spicy. Bummed to bail, but that's how it goes.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Thats a bummer, I have ran it at 6.5 with a couple guide buddies, it was BIG, probably a wise choice to bail.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I was also one of the bailers. Not only a lot of water but a lot of wood moving around - Rangers reported some groups encountering riverwide trees. If we were a group that was familiar with the run and each other it would have been more on the bubble, but with a mixed group and no experience on the MF over 3' or so it was just too many red flags.

Sorry to hear the trip washed out. That's a bummer.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Yeah, too bad, but nature doesn't give a shit about our plans. Things were setting up pretty well until things turned cold and wet - Salmon drainage is looking at over 200% annual average snowpack for May 30 and a steady warm-up looks to point peak flows right at our scheduled launch date. And lots of reports of post-wildfire wood moving around.

Bummer for all of you, sorry to hear about the high water. I've been skunked a lot but it's usually just day trips as the water gets too high around here multiple times a year and you gotta walk away with your tail between your legs. It's a whole other thing when you've been anticipating it for a while. You all made the right call, it's the worst when a trip goes sideways and you're out in the middle of nowhere.

I have some pics from flyovers and it seems that is not if you would have to portage at some point, but how many times. Lots a lumber in the river right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I have some pics from flyovers and it seems that is not if you would have to portage at some point, but how many times. Lots a lumber in the river right now.
    Mind sharing them here?

Kind of...I got them second hand, not from the photographer. But, I think they'll start popping up here as one already did.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/threads...6/#post-845882
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Buddy just dropped his middle fork for a main. And he's competent. 4 ditch trips. I'd go for it but not with custies.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Yeah. We're making moves for cataract instead.

We’re putting in for a cataract trip starting at potash June 26

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

A neighbor of mine has already floated (with kayak) the MF twice this year and is going again next week. He is a very experienced kayaker. He told me that while the flow is not that high (~5.5ft.), when he was up there two weeks ago it was snowing and there is a crazy amount of timber in the water. He saw amore than a couple of rafts overturn. One raft overturned, submerged, traveled under and lifted a tree and traveled 300-400 yards down river underwater.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I'm envious of your neighbor. 7 ft and below is relatively manageable in a kayak, even with wood. Making the trip without raft support is the hard part, unless you self support which adds another layer.

Our Cataract trip was a proper adventure. Ran down from Westwater for about 180 river miles. Motored the flatwater to spend more time in the pretty parts. Two flips, one in Skull on Westy and another in Big Drop 2.

We put in at potash for cat on Sunday.

Note that the North Wash ramp is completely fucked. Like, even more fucked than it was 3 weeks ago.

Plan is a 10,000 pound winch and huge pvc pipes to get up the hill Egyptian style

How huge are your pipes? Current photos in this thread show what's left of the "ramp." https://www.mountainbuzz.com/threads....108307/page-4

I saw a snout rig get pulled out on huge tubes that could handle the uneven ground on the "walk up" ramp, but we didn't even bother trying with the 3" PVC we brought. The snout needed to be pulled from the lower lot, so it also took a shitload of cable.

6” pvc

100 ft on the winch w multiple 50ft tow straps

Let us know how it goes!