Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Don Imus

Don Imus

Say what you want. The guy was a pioneer.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I liked Imus. I used to listen to him a lot. He was smart, he had great guests, he was opinionated. He did a lot for a lot of people, raised a lot of money. I always felt his heart was mostly in the right place. He meant well I think. He also did some really dumb shit, no doubt. But I liked him. Last I heard him was probably over 10 years ago though. RIP.

Times obit already out, I guess they had it in the can already: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/27/a...imus-dead.html

Just further proof that sometimes the smartest people don't always exercise great common sense. He reaped what he sowed and kept going.. owned it when he fucked up.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Times obit already out, I guess they had it in the can already: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/27/a...imus-dead.html
    They must have a ton of rock star obits ready.

I liked Imus. I used to listen to him a lot. He was smart, he had great guests, he was opinionated. He did a lot for a lot of people, raised a lot of money. I always felt his heart was mostly in the right place. He meant well I think. He also did some really dumb shit, no doubt. But I liked him. Last I heard him was probably over 10 years ago though. RIP.
    Well said. Bygone are the days when you could have an outspoken, even very unpopular, opinion, then step in it, repeatedly at times, and still redeem yourself. No social purity tests; fuck up, make it good and you move on.

I love terrestrial radio and while Imus started before my time he did pave the way for guys like Stern and many of my favorite regional acts.

(Sidebar - if you ever want a good read and appreciate Stern, shock jocks, and the rise of competitive radio shows check out Radio Daze about the long running radio battle between the long-standing #1 rock radio station in the US, WMMS The Buzzard in Cleveland, Rolling Stone’s best radio station award, and the upstart WNCX that was one of the first to carry Stern outside NYC, that involved stunts like literally cutting the cable from Stern’s NYC feed and his resulting rallies that helped rocket him to fame)

Imus made much of what I enjoy daily possible and made a lot of other’s lives better through his charity. RIP man.
    I still call it The Jake.

The nappy heady comment really lit the wick for what we see today and how we react.

I’m not defending his comments (but yeah I laughed when I heard it live) or against those offended but to me a social change ball was put into motion from there on forward.

I think there's a lot of truth to that. I never listened again after that, and it wasn't like I was outraged or it was a boycott or anything, I just didn't listen any more. I knew how (especially when following Bernard's lead) he'd blurt out dumb shit. But after that it was just like, nah, you can't say shit like that. And when he came back on the air I just didn't feel it. The zeitgeist had shifted, or at least my own sense of it had.

There was the bit about towel heads and dot heads turning each other into charcoal briquettes in 97/98 after India and Pakistan both became nuclear armed. I had listened for a few months prior during a period when I was commuting. I gradually lost interest after that and went back to NPR except during the beg-a-thons.

I think there's a lot of truth to that. I never listened again after that, and it wasn't like I was outraged or it was a boycott or anything, I just didn't listen any more. I knew how (especially when following Bernard's lead) he'd blurt out dumb shit. But after that it was just like, nah, you can't say shit like that. And when he came back on the air I just didn't feel it. The zeitgeist had shifted, or at least my own sense of it had.
    Howard took that act and refined it.

I listened sometimes. He got run over by the PC train when it was at full steam

RIP He made a dent in the world. Not many can say that
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

It will be interesting to hear what Howard Stern has to say when he's back on the air after the holiday break. He and Imus certainly never saw eye-to-eye, but I think he'll be able to muster a tribute of some sort.

Guy was an asshole. Fuck him.

I looked at this thread and figured it had to be about something Latin
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Guy was an asshole. Fuck him.
    Maybe, but, just a crude man. I just dug back and remembered my reaction to nappy hos, and, still think, really? How, just, not funny and nasty. Like, Chris Rock and Murphy just stop and turn their heads and just stare, wide eyed. They have to come up with so much better humor about black people, and he said....what?

Maybe an ass but he did a great thing with that cowboy camp for kids.

He changed radio significantly that's for sure and he did a lot for kids and veterans. I liked his willingness to call out politicians and businesses for the shitty things they were doing. Stopped listening when he kept having Deidre on with her anti Vax - wanna be Fox news personality.

Sandusky did some nice things for kids, too

You're comparing a comment on the radio to the rape of multiple children?

Imus owned his brand as a hateful, opinionated asshole who was famous for saying lots of different racist, misogynist, and anti-Semitic shit.

If you want to say it was OK for him to say it, then say it was OK and you can own being an asshole, too.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Imus owned his brand as a hateful, opinionated asshole who was famous for saying lots of different racist, misogynist, and anti-Semitic shit.

If you want to say it was OK for him to say it, then say it was OK and you can own being an asshole, too.
    It was absolutely "OK" for him to say the things he did. Whether you like or agree with those things is a different question, but you're making some truly deplorable insinuations about the need censorship that I can't abide.

Please take Limbaugh next.

Howard Stern vacation curse strikes again.
    Imus was a pioneer for sure. Times change, people usually don’t. We all look back at photos and probably can’t believe the clothes we wore. It happens gradually but it’s how the world works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I found him a tiresome asshole from the get-go. But whatever floats or floated your pre-enlightenment boat.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Yeah I found him a tiresome asshole from the get-go. But whatever floats or floated your pre-enlightenment boat.
    Agreed, many years ago I was a road warrior always looking for shit to listen to on the radio. I tried him out a few times, but like all the guys on conservative talk radio stations, I quickly tuned him out. Maybe he did some good stuff I am unaware of, but I always put him in the cunt category. YTVM
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.