Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Danner Boots

Danner Boots

Any opinions on Danner Boots
    They seems to hit all the right notes for me in a rugged Boot.
    Made in the USA, look functionally sound
    Not a terrible price. - Bit not cheap

Anyone want to talk me out of dropping 250$ on multi purpose boots that should last me years.

https://www.workbootsusa.com/danner-43143.html

Looking at these. I am not a logger, But I spend a bit of time in slush and snow Mid scrambjing over shale wet muddy peet, Dead fall where there re no trails. Rock and sage. Then go to town.
    Last edited by MTT; 12-27-2019 at 06:54 AM.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Good boots if they fit. I found them narrow with a large heel. I prefer Whites for leather work boots, but the Danner line is much larger.

Red wing makes decent boots too, crafted by the best goodhue county tweakers

one caveat to nice boots is - do you have a decent cobbler who can resolve them? And also get something to dry them

edit: lol at the thread “real men” chiming in.
    Last edited by dunfree ; 12-26-2019 at 10:08 PM.

I have a pair that I wear to work (at an office). I wouldn’t wear them as a work boot or a hiking boot. You can do better in either category from other boot companies. But they seem well made and are comfortable. Certainly nice looking. So I guess it depends on what you planning on using them for.

multi purpose boots
    What does that mean? A polished hipster model to go with your cuffed jeans like my sister used to wear in '88? Danner makes some quality boots, I've had a few pairs of Pronghorns. You couldn't get me a wear a pair of heavy leather boots for anything these days however.

For what use? I've never seen a Danner boot stiff enough for rugged off-trail travel or cramponing. And Goretex-lined boots suck.

For general mountain travel, Scapra Active SL is far better than anything Danner makes

I’ve had Some Danners. Wasn’t stoked on durability but mine were lower end models.

A couple buddies of mine had higher end Danners and eventually traded up after wearing them out sooner than they expected. They spend a lot of time in their boots.

All I can say re: rugged / work boots is to try them on. Many of the ones I've tried (including, if memory serves, Danners) were super wide / high volume. I was swimming in them.

If you want the real deal logger boot WESCO is the only way to go. But going to Scappoose to get a true custom fit is essential. Pretty much every logger wearing cork boots in the pnw trusts their feet with WESCO. Cork boots are very specialized logging boot, but WESCO simply makes the best logger style boot. For mountain travel (capable of crampons) the Italian brands (Scarpa, Asolo) seem to be the best.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Doesn’t danner have a very large and diverse line of boots? Multiple lasts, price points, and build quality.

Big fan of the dinner quarry for trail building and general on mtn summer work, although I think they got rid of the 6inch version and only have the 8in now which I don’t like as much

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Any opinions on Danner Boots
    They seems to hit all the right notes for me in a rugged Boot.
    Made in the USA, look functionally sound
    Not a terrible price. - Bit not cheap

Anyone want to talk me out of dropping 250$ on multi purpose boots that should last me years.

https://www.workbootsusa.com/danner-43143.html

Looking at these. I am not a logger, But I spend a bit of time in slush and snow Mid scrambjing over shale wet muddy peet, Dead fall where there re no trails. Rock and sage. Then go to town.
    Those are imported, I would avoid any of their boots made overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    Big fan of the dinner quarry for trail building and general on mtn summer work, although I think they got rid of the 6inch version and only have the 8in now which I don’t like as much
    I own a pair of Quarrys for firewood cutting. Horrible traction on wet slippery slopes when off trail, the lugs are to tightly spaced. Good general work boots though.

Logger style boots suck for general mountain travel. That big heel is great for digging into soft soil, sucks on hard trails over long distances IMO, though never owned custom.

I hunt in Kenetrek mountain guides. Good boots for what OP wants, but pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Those are imported, I would avoid any of their boots made overseas.
    They are imported. What the hell! Rule those out.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Danner Boots

My use case: I am a superintendent for commercial construction projects. I walk 10 miles / 20,000 steps most days at work. Often in mud and wet. Often on rebar and metal deck. A lot of hard concrete slab walking. I am on my feet 6 hours most work days.

Danners last me 6mos. The leather tends to split and separate from the sole on each side of the foot at the ball of the foot, where the shoe flexes. Both US made and Chinese made have the same durability issues. Beware Of the cheaper models with their house brand soles. The soles are soft and comfortable, but fall apart easily. Comparable priced redwings or thorogoods will last me 12-18mos.

Danners are great looking, comfortable boots. I would definitely own a pair as a city boot, or as a work around the house boot. They would be fine and last many years of light use. They just don’t compare to the other brands as far as durability goes for real work boot use.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Doesn’t danner have a very large and diverse line of boots?
    Numerous styles but limited range of function. IME, all Danner boots are torsionally soft, i.e., Danner does not offer a boot with a torsionally stiff midsole, which IMO is #1 priority for an off-trail boot.
    Last edited by GeezerSteve; 12-27-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    My use case: I am a superintendent for commercial construction projects. I walk 10 miles / 20,000 steps most days at work. Often in mud and wet. Often on rebar and metal deck. A lot of hard concrete slab walking. I am on my feet 6 hours most work days.

Danners last me 6mos. The leather tends to split and separate from the sole on each side of the foot at the ball of the foot, where the shoe flexes. Both US made and Chinese made have the same durability issues. Beware Of the cheaper models with their house brand soles. The soles are soft and comfortable, but fall apart easily. Comparable priced redwings or thorogoods will last me 12-18mos.

Danners are great looking, comfortable boots. I would definitely own a pair as a city boot, or as a work around the house boot. They would be fine and last many years of light use. They just don’t compare to the other brands as far as durability goes for real work boot use.

s
    Thanks for that. And that is why I asked rather than just pulling the trigger on some pretty boots. I am looking for a similar style to what I posted. Warm and water proof / resistant are important I was looking at the Whites But they are not insulated. My feet would get cold - correct?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

But they are not insulated. My feet would get cold - correct?
    No, not if you do the sock thing right. Insulated boots are good only for cold temperatures. They suck >35F and they not necessary down to OF.

For the op’s price range your choices are going to be limited for a quality off trail boot. If you are willing to step up to $350-400 there are several great options.
    Danner has stepped up the game and introduced this boot.

https://www.danner.com/men/hunt/thorofare-10-sage.html

They had to do something to compete with Lowa, my favorite, Kenetrek, Hanwag etc.

I was looking at the Whites
    Whites are overkill for 99.9999% of the population. You won’t wear them enough to even break them in. I wear boots 50 hours a week and I would never think of buying Whites

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Maybe I should have off on buying that new pistol and stepped it up on the footware.

I won't be getting these boots. I will keep looking around. It's not an urgent need. Just something I want and kinda need. This summer I was doing lots of exploreing and target shooting high up. Climbing steep hills climbing over logs getting my feet stuck. Walking on the squishy shit after the snow melts Sometimes having to walk through tall grass with water running through it tlll mid summer. None of my hiking boots held up. Drove home a few time wear my wet socks.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Walking on the squishy shit after the snow melts Sometimes having to walk through tall grass with water running through it tlll mid summer. None of my hiking boots held up. Drove home a few time wear my wet socks.
    If a leather upper boot is properly treated (e.g., Obenauf's or Kenetrek boot wax), 99% of water gets in from the top. Get some well-fitted gaiters for your new (future) boots. (IME, many gaiters require modification to achieve a proper snug fit.) Make sure to wear your pant legs over your gaiters.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Logger style boots suck for general mountain travel.
    lol. Alright.

I would urge anyone taking that statement seriously to consider what wildland firefighting entails, then consider whether the entire career field would willfully choose boots that suck for mountain foot travel, something they do 12+ hrs a day for months at a time.