Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Danner Boots

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Maybe I should have off on buying that new pistol and stepped it up on the footware.

I won't be getting these boots. I will keep looking around. It's not an urgent need. Just something I want and kinda need. This summer I was doing lots of exploreing and target shooting high up. Climbing steep hills climbing over logs getting my feet stuck. Walking on the squishy shit after the snow melts Sometimes having to walk through tall grass with water running through it tlll mid summer. None of my hiking boots held up. Drove home a few time wear my wet socks.
    Oh, interesting, because my greasy oily old whites get absolutely soaked crossing creeks and swamps and dicking around with muddy fire mop-up and they’re right as rain for decades.

I mean, get em or don’t...but I just have to shake my head at anyone saying they suck. Puuuhhhllllleeaassse.
    Name:  456967043_53812d0529_m.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  10.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    lol. Alright.

I would urge anyone taking that statement seriously to consider what wildland firefighting entails, then consider whether the entire career field would willfully choose boots that suck for mountain foot travel, something they do 12+ hrs a day for months at a time.
    Yeah, a boot that edges well in cliffy montane forest duff will work anywhere else in the mountains. To be fair, a wide heel is not best on steep snow with or without crampons, conditions not typically encountered by fire fighters, so maybe that's what he's talking about.

I mean really it’s only like 5-10 bottles of scotch, so just get what you want.

Been using Danner Quarry’s for the past 8 years for work. While not perfect by any means, they have outlasted the usual competitors. I work for a natural gas distribution contracting so they get their fair share of abuse. Usually get 8-12 months out of a pair, could easily last years under different conditions. My experience with Danner customer service has also been great which definitely makes it easier to purchase. Like others said stick to the US made/assembled products. Work boots seem to run a little big. They usually have a sale once a year 25% off. But boots can be like a box of chocolates.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Very disappointed in the Danners I had recently. Blew out very quickly while framing.

Bought some Thorogoods and they’ve been awesome.

If someone carries them locally, perhaps try on a pair of hunting/hikers from Meindl. I've gone through a couple pairs of heavy hikers and while they are a bit heavier than the competition, they held up well enough for bushwork. Price is reasonable as well.

I've worn their Grouse upland boot in the woods for close to 2 decades. On my 3rd pair. They are resoled when necessary - I prefer the Bob sole and they wear pretty well in the woods, not so much on pavement and dirt roads. Been great boots for tree cutting, cruising, and recon in the Appalachians and the PNW, but got kinda tore up on the Colorado Plateau - only place I've had lugs/knobs rip off. I try to take care of the uppers and they have lasted pretty well.

Can understand the comments about the fit - a bit narrow in the toe and wider in the heel. They won't work for everyone.

Now that I'm back in the PNW - would like to have a pair with a calk sole for wet season - anyone know if that can be done? Edit: yeah, it looks like several places can do it. Hoffman boots for one..

Many WFF I know were moving away from Whites and the logger heel in favor of a lightweight hiker from Lowa or Scarpa. Comfort and weight meant they were willing to buy two pairs a year since they don't handle heat well.

Whites and Wesco (I've worn both) are heavy, expensive and IMO the heel fucks up your back if you are not in terrain they are designed for. They are very comfortable for the feet though.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    lol. Alright.

I would urge anyone taking that statement seriously to consider what wildland firefighting entails, then consider whether the entire career field would willfully choose boots that suck for mountain foot travel, something they do 12+ hrs a day for months at a time.
    My experience wearing that style of boot is they suck for hard trails or rock scrambling. The heel definitely helps dig into soft material off trail. Rocky ridges not so much. The majority of good mountain hunting boots don't have such a tall, narrow heel for a reason, they are more similar to rugged hiking/backpacking boots.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    My experience wearing that style of boot is they suck .
    Welp, my experience is that they don’t.