Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Garage Door Wont Open

The garage door of my condo will not open, which normally would be a problem this time of year as all of my skis are in there, but the PNW is having a slow, shiny start to the season so not too big of a deal... yet. The key pad on the outside has power still as it lights up and blinks like normal when i punch in the code, but nothing happens. Im not sure if the motor is broken, or electrical is the issue or what. I do not think the door can be manually lifted open as it feels like I would be forcing the motor's chain backwards against gearing when i lift it. The keypad is a clicker brand.

Anyone have any ideas before i hulk out and break the door/motor/chain to get in?

Can you get inside the garage? There is a pull cord - usually with a red handle-- that disengages the ratchet from the track and then you can roll the door up by hand. Then you can figure out if the motor is kaputt--most openers have a reset button, you want to test that first.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Unfortunately, the only way to fix this is to buy a new house.

Ideally a red one.

Look at the springs above the door..if one is broken the motor doesn't have enough power to raise the weight of the door
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Can you get inside the garage? There is a pull cord - usually with a red handle-- that disengages the ratchet from the track and then you can roll the door up by hand. Then you can figure out if the motor is kaputt--most openers have a reset button, you want to test that first.
    I can technically get inside (its a shared 3 car garage with 3 separate doors for 3 different condo owners), but its at the whim of my anti-social neighbors who may or may not blow me off. So, really not an ideal situation. Previous neighbors were an older couple and the dude was a plumber who thought all my skis and bikes were the coolest thing ever. New nieghbors are an extended asian family who keep odd hours and very much keep to themselves.

the chain has fallen off multiple times so im pretty familiar with the "manual" aspects of the door operation eg the pull cord. But i am an idiot with electrical or if the motor is busted.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Unfortunately, the only way to fix this is to buy a new house.

Ideally a red one.
    Working hard on the new house thing. I will for sure paint the door red at the very least.

This. Also sometimes there is a lock button, so you could check foe that as well.

All of the above plus check for tangles in the mechanism as well. Sometimes there's cables going everywhere and they get messed up. In older systems anyway. Maybe those aren't motorized, but I swear I solved someone's garage door problem that way.
    Likely there's just some safety switch for when you're away and you don't want anyone to be able to open the door.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Is there a circuit breaker in your house that may have been tripped?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    New nieghbors are an extended asian family who keep odd hours and very much keep to themselves.
    This is a clue.

Are they loading and unloading things into their car at odd hrs with no visible means of employment? It's possible they disabled your door so they could carry on an illicit fentanyl import business without interference. Asia is the #1 producer of that stuff.

Sawzall

Nuke from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Sawzall
    I'd prefer a 9mm if what I think is happening here, is happening. Sawzall is only good in close combat.

This is a clue.

Are they loading and unloading things into their car at odd hrs with no visible means of employment? It's possible they disabled your door so they could carry on an illicit fentanyl import business without interference. Asia is the #1 producer of that stuff.
    All they have to do is ask and throw me a few hundred per month. I'm always looking for another stream of income.

Most of the time my door fails is because the sensor of the safety system gets bumped. The opener thinks someone is going to get mauled so cuts power to motor.

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    Most of the time my door fails is because the sensor of the safety system gets bumped. The opener thinks someone is going to get mauled so cuts power to motor.
    Good call. The sensors for my garage door get bumped occasionally, don't line up correctly and the door won't operate.

Our spring broke recently. It sucked cuz it's a big door.
    Hope this helps.

I think Asian gangs prefer the sawzall when someone or their garage door gets a little nosey.
    No longer stuck.

I have been searching for rubber sensors.

They bounce back when bumped. I can’t find them on the internets but I have one set and they are sweet
    . . .

Garage Door Wont Open

Maybe I can get some ideas on the problem we’re having. The coded keypad opener works regularly except when temperatures dip at night and early morning. Won’t work at a cold 7 am. Wait until about noon and keypad opener works again. Garage has complete function from all the remote openers all the time just not the mounted keypad when around freezing temp. WWMD?

Second the proper solution of moving to the red house.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Maybe I can get some ideas on the problem we’re having. The coded keypad opener works regularly except when temperatures dip at night and early morning. Won’t work at a cold 7 am. Wait until about noon and keypad opener works again. Garage has complete function from all the remote openers all the time just not the mounted keypad when around freezing temp. WWMD?
    you need a new battery

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    you need a new battery
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    you need a new battery
    Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Yep
    Should’ve thought of that. Replaced
    Thanks

That's it?!
    No longer stuck.

That's it?!
    OP here, thinking that might also be the case for me. The nice Fentanyl cooking neighbors finally let me in and the garage door opens fine using the internal button. So its just a problem with the external keypad. Probably a battery issue that should be resolved today if so.

Will still be looking for a red house though as a plan B.