active insulation (Nano air/Proton LT) vs Polartec Thermal pro (Patagonia R3)

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Snowboarder here, I am torn between Nano Air and Proton LT to be used for snowshoeing/split (most likely more snowshoeing with snowboard on the back).
    It will be used under a hard shell, so wind protection is not the most important thing, rather being warm if still, and wicking moisture when sweating.
    Heard that both jackets are good at keeping warm while providing excellent breathability.

Then I thought I have already a fleece I love, the Patagonia R3 hi loft, in Polartec Thermal Pro. And reviews are that it wicks moisture well.
    So question for you experts: what would be the main difference/issue in using the R3 for snowshoeing instead of Proton / Nano Air?
    would the proton/nano breath better? or be warmer? I know that conceptually one is a fleece while the other two are jackets, but as a mid-layer under a shell, what would be the difference?

Thanks

I like polartec alpha for skinning and then shell. Have no experience with proton or nano

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Why do some people post black text on a dark blue background? Or is it just me who finds it almost impossible to read?

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I like polartec alpha for skinning and then shell. Have no experience with proton or nano
    i guess first layer + polartec alpha + shell.
    Then on the way down do you add anything? above or under the shell?

I've been using Nano Air as a 3rd layer in cold conditions for couple of years. It breathes really well, but it's not that warm as same size down jacket. I found it almost perfect for ski touring in -5-20F conditions, where I take on baselayer, thin fleece and then Nano Air. On the downside, it has probably the most rippable material I ever seen. Could easily be damaged if getting through trees and bushes or smth like that

Quote Originally Posted by lorcar View Post
    i guess first layer + polartec alpha + shell.
    Then on the way down do you add anything? above or under the shell?
    I bring an extra layer in pack if it’s cold.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

The R3 jacket works flawlessly as an insulating mid-layer under a hard shell, and will probably do so until the end of time. The Nano Air adds versatility when used as an outer layer, looks more stylish and somehow feels more comfortable (a proprioceptive tactile quality of the stretch?) but purely as a mid-layer under a hard-shell is going to be significantly less durable, slightly less warm, and comparably breathable to an R3. Note that you could buy several different weight fleece jackets for the price of a Nano Air, and then mix and match for the conditions.

In my opinion the R3 or Nano Air would be way too hot under a hardshell or even as an outer layer while skinning. For me the Nano Air Hybrid Light, R1 hoody/zip up are far better suited/more breathable for that application, and if the weather isn't too nasty can function just fine as outer layers on the way up.
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 12-27-2019 at 02:26 PM.

Don't own either, but my understanding is the Nano Air and Proton are more wind resistant than fleece, slightly less breathable, but way more breathable than a standard puffy.

I wore out a westcomb (polartech alpha) coat and now have a Nano Air. (Of those two I'd give the edge to the nano air based on useful chest pockets and a better cut/feel).

Its really too warm for sustained skinning even unless it is under 15 F. You could check out the nano air light which is a bit thinner and runners really like. I'm usually pretty happy with a capilene thermal weight thin grid fleece (polartech powerdry high efficiency i think) hoody either by itself or under a shell.

The nano air is great by itself without a shell for more stop and go activity or extreme cold. It has an edge in weather resistance over fleece (think of it is a fleece and windshirt combined). But the real advantage over fleece is that it is quite light and stuff-able so its a great layer. I'll often end up with it plus a light down coat and light shell in my pack. Combined they give you belay coat like warmth if you need it for an emergency or rest stop but with a lot more versatility for not a lot of weight/bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by hillmap View Post
    I'll often end up with Nano plus a light down coat and light shell in my pack. .
    i thought that the Nano was an alternative to down? would you wear the down above or under the Nano?

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Note that you could buy several different weight fleece jackets for the price of a Nano Air, and then mix and match for the conditions.
    sure, for this reason i was considering the R2 Patagonia as well, since the R1 and R3 are fantastic.
    It seems though that the R2 is less popular.
    Also, i saw the Norrona Alpha Raw Zip Hoodie, which seems similar to the R2 but in Polartec Alpha

I like skinning in a R1 Techface, which blocks a decent amount of wind and rain. On the down, I’ll put a hardshell over it, or put on a nano puff I have in my pack.

Quote Originally Posted by snowtastic View Post
    I like skinning in a R1 Techface, which blocks a decent amount of wind and rain. On the down, I’ll put a hardshell over it, or put on a nano puff I have in my pack.
    THis^^ is how I use any soft shell

I start out wearing the R1 full zip under the puffy for the 1st 10 minutes till I feel warmed up then I ditch the puffy,

when I stop for any length of time or get to the top I put puffy back on

I supose YMMV but I could not skin for more than 15 min in a insulating layer
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know