Dog tore Dewclaw: vet on Xmas eve or wait?

It's been a struggle to trim dogs nails, he has finally been letting me with a combo of clippers and grinder.

Went to grind the Dewclaw tonight and he bolted, catching the nail and twisting/tearing. Got him in the tub to hit it with peroxide, but he's not letting me touch it again.

Bleeding seems to have stopped. But he isnt putting weight on the leg, and it's twisted.

Call vet for emergency consult tonight or wait?
    Last edited by krp8128; 12-24-2019 at 09:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

Definitely don't think rushing to the emergency vet is called for. Dewclaws get ripped off with some frequency without much more than some blood and a lot of pain. If you could get some neosporin on similar on it that would be good but even if not it's almost certainly not a crisis.

Ditto^^. My dog has torn two nails this week thanks to shitty freeze/thaw/freeze cycle. Nailclippers and neosporin are what I used.
    Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Yup. If it stops bleeding I wouldn't worry about it. One of my dogs has two nails that regularly get long then when they start to break off she chews them off.

I bet he'll be in much less pain by the morning.

Thanks guys.

On call vet seemed to agree, recommended an aspirin for the night and decide tomorrow if he's in pain. Of course as I was on the porch making the call Baxter was inside the door wimpering to come out, so I don't rink it's too bad.

As soon as he jumped I new it was bad, could feel it twist in my hand. Was gruesome as I chased him around to clean it.

Of course I considered the past month a win as he had finally let me deal with the long claws. I had been on the verge of sedation at the vet, two of us pinned him and clipped. Was gradually taking the dewclaws down and then this is 10 steps back in his trust!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191224_215448.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	903.7 KB 
ID:	307581

Good luck! Christmas Eve always seems to kick off something dog related for us. One year we came back from church to find our dog had torn open some presents to eat a world sampler of dark chocolate.

My canine misadventure for thia evening involved trying to bathe my dog who had gotten somewhat stinky as she always does when at my cleanliness loving parents' house. I drug her into the basement shower stall with me and was shampooing her when she got so stressed that she pooped. The drain was super slow so we were both left standing in 4 inches of turd water. Merry Christmas to me!

haha a christmas present just for you!

Update: Baxter didn't sleep well Tuesday into Wednesday, as his normal position must have put pressure on it. His pacing and wimlering kept me up to 4am, when he finally crashed for several hours. Was more or less back to himself after that so avoided the emergency vet visit.

Brought him in today to get it cleaned up, and while the vet tried to coerce him onto the table for the sedative it hit his leg and fell off.

Resting by the fire with some anti inflammatory and antibiotics.

Sounds like he's on the road to recovery, maybe you'll both get some sleep tonight.