Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: AT Helmet halp

I agree, I don't see any reason to tack on the bike cert. My guess is that if you're building a helmet that already meets climbing and skiing certs, it's probably already dang close to bike certified, so you might as well make it a thing, just for marketing/bragging rights.

I have the MTN as well, I wear it without the liner, over a mesh 5 panel hat. It integrates really well with my Smith Squad XL's, but I haven't tried it with any of Smith's spherical goggles. I'm excited about the new Smith helmet, but really the only thing that stands out as "better" about it is the foldable BOA system. I always feel like I'm scrunching mine against my pack and it takes a moment to bend it back when I put it on my head.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    I have the MTN as well, I wear it without the liner, over a mesh 5 panel hat. It integrates really well with my Smith Squad XL's, but I haven't tried it with any of Smith's spherical goggles. I'm excited about the new Smith helmet, but really the only thing that stands out as "better" about it is the foldable BOA system. I always feel like I'm scrunching mine against my pack and it takes a moment to bend it back when I put it on my head.
    Good to know, thanks. That BOA system does look interesting. As to the triple certification - I can't imagine I'd ever consider that in a purchase decision but maybe its nice to have for reasons I don't yet comprehend.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    I agree, I don't see any reason to tack on the bike cert. My guess is that if you're building a helmet that already meets climbing and skiing certs, it's probably already dang close to bike certified, so you might as well make it a thing, just for marketing/bragging rights.

Another vote for the MTN. Saved my life twice. First on Shasta from a softball piece of conglomerate rock smashing into it. Second when a shark flung me into some trees giving me a TBI even with the helmet on.

Also I'm a sweaty mfer and it's been the best vented ski/ dual rated helmet I've found.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

I’m patiently waiting for the smith nexus but it’s damn pricey

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I noticed these Petzl aftermarket headlamp clips recently and have been using them on a non-climbing helmet and they work well. I specifically got a AT helmet just for headlamp compatibility, as a resort helmet with the liner removed isn't much heavier. Now you can use your resort helmet with a headlamp and it can be a proper touring lid too https://www.gearx.com/petzl-uni-adap...hoCm6oQAvD_BwE
    I noticed the clips a while ago as I was considering the Smith Express (actually a bike commuting helmet) as a possible lightweight ski-helmet.
    The goggle integration, while not totally hopeless, was not the best and in the end I dropped the idea.

I like the Kong helmet, worth a try and looks good, holds goggles well, comfy and ventilated.

Shameless plug - I’m selling a NIB Dynafit TLT Helmet: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-XL-New-in-Box

This helmet looked promising for ending my AT helmet woes and probably would be if it fit. I have a giant melon and am at the upper end of the size range. It wasn’t quite big enough to wear a beanie beneath for me. It’s light, well ventilated, and has a nicely done adjustment system. Without a beanie it was super comfortable for me. I like the integrated visor but it’s removable if you don’t.

I’ll probably be sticking with the bigger helmet companies that make jumbo sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by ccl View Post
    Shameless plug - I’m selling a NIB Dynafit TLT Helmet: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-XL-New-in-Box

This helmet looked promising for ending my AT helmet woes and probably would be if it fit. I have a giant melon and am at the upper end of the size range. It wasn’t quite big enough to wear a beanie beneath for me. It’s light, well ventilated, and has a nicely done adjustment system. Without a beanie it was super comfortable for me. I like the integrated visor but it’s removable if you don’t.

I’ll probably be sticking with the bigger helmet companies that make jumbo sizes.
    As a bump for that, I tried this helmet on and it fit really well. I liked the style and the visor is the best. If you want a visor helmet instead of wearing a brim/ball cap, this would do it!
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

For anyone who likes to just wear a helmet in place of a hat, I have really been loving the velcro-on brims Salamander sells for WW kayaking:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20221117_181452722.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	434387

Anyone tried the new atomic backland helmets yet? Not finding the summit here un Yup and wondering if the atomics, despite the AGGRESSIVE styling, are a viable option?

Just received a 2023 Smith Summit MIPS helmet (bought on heavy discount from Corbetts). I didn’t have an opportunity to try one on in advance, but had high hopes for Smith’s new AT helmet (I wear a Smith Vantage inbounds) apparently designed in part by Cody Townsend. I like the BOA which makes for a nice even fit, however the helmet is noticeably heavier and seems less vented than the well worn Salomon Mtn Lab I’m looking to replace, it moves around a bit weirdly on my head (I guess that’s the MIPS?), and the chin strap fits unevenly around my ears and isn’t adjustable. I could probably deal with these relatively minor annoyances, but that it sits so low on my forehead that it pushes my (medium fit) goggles down awkwardly onto to my nose. Seriously the brim sits a full inch lower than than my Vantage or Mtn Lab. I’m sending it straight back, and am now shopping for a replacement Mtn Lab.

Yeah man without going full euro skimo style ugly helmets you're not going to find much that best the MTN Lab (from what I remember of my research).

Skimo.co has the best selection I've found

Wish BD would do a dual rated helmet as I feel they have a number of good looking ones (not the half dome)
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Just received a 2023 Smith Summit MIPS helmet (bought on heavy discount from Corbetts). I didn’t have an opportunity to try one on in advance, but had high hopes for Smith’s new AT helmet (I wear a Smith Vantage inbounds) apparently designed in part by Cody Townsend. I like the BOA which makes for a nice even fit, however the helmet is noticeably heavier and seems less vented than the well worn Salomon Mtn Lab I’m looking to replace, it moves around a bit weirdly on my head (I guess that’s the MIPS?), and the chin strap fits unevenly around my ears and isn’t adjustable. I could probably deal with these relatively minor annoyances, but that it sits so low on my forehead that it pushes my (medium fit) goggles down awkwardly onto to my nose. Seriously the brim sits a full inch lower than than my Vantage or Mtn Lab. I’m sending it straight back, and am now shopping for a replacement Mtn Lab.
    As someone waiting for a Smith Summit from Corbetts as well, I'm bummed to hear that. What size did you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    As someone waiting for a Smith Summit from Corbetts as well, I'm bummed to hear that. What size did you buy?
    Large. I’m interested in other’s experience, whether this is design flaw, or a my head issue. The low brim presumably works with oversize sunglasses, but I do a lot of touring for powder, and goggle compatibility is essential.

In a huge fan of Smith in general - but I’ve learned; never buy a year 1 product from Smith…

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Love my Mammut Wall Rider for spring conditions.

$48! from bc.com RN

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...ECAUQCw&adurl=

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Large. I’m interested in other’s experience, whether this is design flaw, or a my head issue. The low brim presumably works with oversize sunglasses, but I do a lot of touring for powder, and goggle compatibility is essential.
    I'll update when it shows up. I also need goggle compatibility and will be using this helmet for inbounds, but with lots of hiking duty.

No problems with Smith Summit + Giro Axis combo. I like the clean look of the helmet.

Quick update on the Smith Summit after a dozen or so days.

I wasn't impressed with the initial fit out of the box and had durability concerns about the new style of BOA specifically. The little cords seemed to be a major potential weak point and with the BOA being key to the overall fit having one of them break would make the helmet nearly useless.

With those concerns noted, I've come to really like this helmet. I love how I can throw it on over whatever headwear I'm already wearing and just tighten the BOA before dropping in. My older helmets needed me to put on either a thin buff or skullcap instead of keeping whatever I walked uphill with. It fits securely, comfortably and does not look stupid with everything from a thin buff/windshirt, a lightweight ballcap, and even a thick beanie over a flat-brim that I often wear during the mid winter. It is extremely adjustable and fits comfortably with a wide range of headwear, which is exactly what I was looking for. I can see how it might not work great with some googles, but I haven't had fit issues with my 4D Mags. I wish it had a google retaining clip on the back. Seems like a strange oversight considering most skiers will still use this helmet with googles on the descent.

I'm glad I only paid sale prices for it though. No mag closure for the chin strap on an over $230 retail helmet?? A few small features like the google retainer were overlooked too. Overall 4/5 would buy again.
    Last edited by ASmileyFace; 04-20-2023 at 12:10 PM.

Bumpin this.

Anyone have any experience with the Scott Couloir helmet?

Tried on the SP Ascender MIPS, my head was too pointy for it.
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Bumpin this.

Anyone have any experience with the Scott Couloir helmet?

Tried on the SP Ascender MIPS, my head was too pointy for it.
    I have the Couloir. I like it a lot. Like most light weight back country helmets, the liner is light and sparse, but with a beanie or hat underneath it is quite warm on cold days and can be adjusted for the extra thickness. On warmer days, it has great ventilation and can be worn with just the liner or without and just a ball cap or light beanie. I find the fit great, light weight, good ventilation, no real criticisms.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

The Scott helmet is very oval, so it didn't work for my round-ish head. Sounds like it may be a good fit for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    The Scott helmet is very oval, so it didn't work for my round-ish head. Sounds like it may be a good fit for you.
    Great!

Thanks for the info. Definitely more of an oval head shape so sounds like that'll work.
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

I’m selling a large couloir in red if you’re interested, used a couple times this spring but in great shape

Anyone of y'all rigged up a goggle retaining strap or bungee/hook situation on your Summits? Any suggestions?

I'll probably do it at some point this season, so if no one has a good pic/suggestion, I will post up my results. Should be pretty easy.
    sproing!