Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: AT Helmet halp

AT Helmet halp

enough years without purpose built equipment at this location.

salomon mtn lab helmet
    pret cynic AT
    KT2 Route (supposed to suck)
    prolly some climbinghelmets

halp

i ski a smith vantage and its nice

I use a Petzl Meteor (second gen) climbing helmet that is probably 10y old. The new 4th Gen Meteor helmet is approved for climbing and ski touring, that'll be my next helmet when I can find a used one for $35. On spring touring days, I put it on at the car and take it off at the car at the end of the day, and never think about it otherwise.

I have a movement 3tec alpi. It’s super light and pretty comfortable. The rear head strap is pretty fragile, however, and broke from talking it in/out of my helmet strap. The replacement seems beefier and haven’t had any issues for more than a season.

I've got the salomon mtn lab helmet. Love it. Super light for the ups when attaching to a pack. I feel pretty comfortable in its safety on the downs. Fit's pretty well. I haven't worn it ascending yet but I believe it would breath well with the ear flaps removed.It's my travel helmet, fits in a backpack under an airplane seat. I use it inbounds on travel all the time with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    I've got the salomon mtn lab helmet. Love it. Super light for the ups when attaching to a pack. I feel pretty comfortable in its safety on the downs. Fit's pretty well. I haven't worn it ascending yet but I believe it would breath well with the ear flaps removed.It's my travel helmet, fits in a backpack under an airplane seat. I use it inbounds on travel all the time with no problems.
    I too have the Solly Mtn lab. The wool war flaps are awesome as is the light weight. I’ve skinned up in it and the liner makes a nice sweatband that doesn’t stink and can be removed to wash. Fits well inside a pack too. Try to find the summer liner as well for warm touring days.

Certified for ski and climb is that’s important to you.

Another vote for the MTN Lab, especially if you have a good fit in the Vantage (I do) - they are quite similar in shape though the sizing is a bit different. Have not tried the Cynic AT, but the regular Cynic X didn't work for me (though my wife loves it).

Mtn lab good.

I’ve been on this hunt as well, and had fit issues with the mtn lab and Sweet Ascender, both way too wide for the length. They were touching the front and back of my head with 1-1.5 cm of empty space on the sides. A movement alpi 3tech should arrive this week, will report back.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

I ski the Vantage in-bounds and the MTN Lab touring, which I find comparably comfortable. It’s ventilated enough that I don’t take it off (except on warm Spring days) and in colder conditions I manage my temperature by adding and removing the thin hood from my base layer.

Quote Originally Posted by skis_the_trees View Post
    [...]The new 4th Gen Meteor helmet is approved for climbing and ski touring[...]
    Not exactly: Petzl paid a testing agency to run some tests according to the official protocol, but exactly what standards the helmet did (or did not) pass are entirely unknown to the public.
    Perhaps (or perhaps not) it passed everything except for the ski pole penetration. And perhaps (or perhaps not) most bike-style climbing helmets would pass just as well as the Meteor.
    But in the absence of any information, nobody (except at Petzl and the testing agency) has any idea if the Meteor is any better suited for skiing that numerous other helmets that certified only for climbing/mountaineering.
    (And yes, the promotional material from Petzl is very misleading in this regard.)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

This is now available:
    https://skimo.co/grivel-duetto-helmet
    Essentially a take on the original Petzl Sirocco, but all angular instead of crystal dome style, and somehow beefed up a bit so it passed both ski & climb, while still weighing far less than any other dual-cert helmet.

Helpful comparison chart here (mixing in climb-only helmet and dual-cert):
    https://skimo.co/compare-helmets

Informative video here for the new dual-cert Grivel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUs0Wor_nrU

I've been rocking the MTN lab for a few season and love it. Saved me from a potential helicopter ride from some gnarly rockfall on Shasta.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Have you considered something a little less traditional?

https://www.amazon.ca/Star-Wars-Impe.../dp/B01BQ9S96A

... Could come in handy on the skin track.
    Last edited by puregravity; 12-25-2019 at 02:20 PM. Reason: image embedding shit
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

She's low tide around here, I ran into a piece of log, fell and hit my head on another log

A helmet is always a good idea kids !

Name:  damagedhelmet.jpg
Views: 2719
Size:  67.8 KB
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Whatever happened to that helmet that looked like you had a pile of pink poop on your head?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Whatever happened to that helmet that looked like you had a pile of pink poop on your head?
    Orange poop.
    That version is still available cheap on closeout, but the newer version is more ... refined?--
    https://skimo.co/petzl-sirocco-helmet

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Have you considered something a little less traditional?

https://www.amazon.ca/Star-Wars-Impe.../dp/B01BQ9S96A

... Could come in handy on the skin track.
    I think the First Order version has better peripheral vision?

If you're looking for a race helmet, I can't really help you. Don't have any experience with those, but they do look like they'd function as an effective form of birth control.

I'll echo everyone else's recommendation of the MTN Lab though, I've been using it for the last few years and absolutely love it for touring. I actually pulled the liner out, and just ski it with a mesh hat underneath, because I have a weird thing about ear flaps. I'll buy another one once I hit my head wearing this one. Big fan.

thanks gang, MTN Lab seems solid. I ordered it and a pret cynic AT off amazong for in the house fidding. after that, i'll give the storm trooper helmet a shot

edit: ill test the race helmet on top of the storm trooper helmet and see if that'll do the trick

I test drove the Movement Alpi today, much better shape for me and quite light. Seems like a winner for my cranium.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Not for racing...

I use the Smith Maze with earflaps stripped. You can buy it as the Maze Bike. It's only like 10oz. It's been the lightweight king for 10 years.

It's not climbing certified, but I use a bike for touring access so it's nice to have a real helmet. I have worn it in mountaineering scenerios, as I'm sure it'll take a hit better than my head.

No real vents, but I don't even take it off while touring and it's not hot, I just adjust the layers under the helmet accordingly. No vents is nice when it's snowing.

The Duetto seems great but I'm coming around to hard shell for a bit of real-life durability. Can imagine trashing the Duetto or Sirocco in the trunk of the car, let alone in BC usage. Very cool helmet with impressive weight. Can see why people would go that route.

Mammut Wall Rider (I have the non-MIPS). Primarily for spring touring. Certified for climbing. It's ridiculously light - feels like a baseball hat - and super ventilated...which means I will wear it a lot, including on the ascent. Which is good for the safetyzzz.

I wear my normal ski area helmet if I need a cold-weather helmet when touring. Poc.

Buy what fits!
    sproing!