Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: AT Helmet halp

Just picked up the Movement 3tech Alpi, agree with others that it fits pretty well for long/narrow heads. Giro helmets tend to fit me great (bike and ski) but I swim side-to-side in a Vantage or any other Smith I've tried. The Movement is still a little wide for me but way better than the MTN Lab. I'll glue a few pads on the sides and it should be fine. Venting and weight seem good unless you're looking for uber-light like Jonathan. The winter liner (with ear flaps) is a little funky and I had trouble getting it to fit well but I don't really need it - I'll just wear a buff underneath if it's cold (and/or throw my puffy hood over the helmet for the down).

Has anybody used the Scott Couloir Mountain or Atomic Count XTD? Both look like appealing dual-certified options, and cheaper than the Mtn Lab

Also curious if anybody has experience/opinions on the Mammut Crag Sender. Not certified for skiing, but it has MIPS and looks like better coverage than most climbing lids

Check out the Salewa Vert. It is my warm weather resort helmet and what I use for touring. It is light with good ventilation. Ear pads snap in and out super easy. Similar look to the Salomon also mentioned in other post. Even has some headlamp strap clip things that you can remove.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    Check out the Salewa Vert. It is my warm weather resort helmet and what I use for touring. It is light with good ventilation. Ear pads snap in and out super easy. Similar look to the Salomon also mentioned in other post. Even has some headlamp strap clip things that you can remove.
    Looks great, know of anywhere I can get it in the US?

I don't get why a company like Atomic basically makes a helmet no more vented than their other inbounds helmets and call it "for touring" by adding a headlamp clips.

Also last season my MTN Lab turned an impact with a tree from potentially fatal to just a gnarly concussion.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    I don't get why a company like Atomic basically makes a helmet no more vented than their other inbounds helmets and call it "for touring" by adding a headlamp clips.
    Its got a lighter liner that is easily removable at least

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Hah..that's interesting. Did a google search and the only hits were Euro. I don't remember where I got it from, but it was someplace in the States.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Trekinn happily ships to the US but wait time might be long enough that your noggin won't be protected til the 21/22 season...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

i like my petzls, meteor and sirrocco, but you do look like a huge dork. they're mostly reserved for actual ski mountaineering objectives. i'll lug my inbounds poc if I really think I'll need it, but way more often than not I find myself skiing in a ballcap/beanie.
    have heard nothing but good things about the MTN Lab. really light for a fully-certed alpine skiing helmet.

Has anyone tried the Kong Kosmos helmet? Kinda ugly but I'm intrigued by the beefy headlamp attachment system

I've tried a few options in the past weeks and still empty handed. I have a big square head with a wide forehead, and many helmets pinch my temples uncomfortably even in the largest size. Still very interested in recommendations!

Scott Couloir - well built but doesn't fit, too oval-ish
    Salewa Vert - actually fit pretty well but headlamp clips are not robust enough for my beefy headlamp (I ski at night a lot). It also felt overpriced for how heavy it was. If I can't find anything else I'll probably end up with this
    Atomic Count XTD - it is ridiculous that Atomic markets this as a touring helmet. Its actually a pretty nice helmet... for inbounds riding but its too heavy and doesn't have any venting
    Petzl Sirocco - pinches my temples in L size
    BD Vector - pinches my temples in L size

Not to hijack this thread, but...

I've lately taken to wearing my mountain biking helmet on quick 1-3 lap morning skins at the resort. It is lighter and cooler (less warm) than my ski helmet, which I bought for lift-served skiing. My assumption is that if the bike helmet is burly enough to protect my head in an MTB crash (in the woods), then it should work okay for on-piste spills on skis.

Am I missing something? Is this an unsmart thing to do?

Quote Originally Posted by dangur View Post
    Am I missing something? Is this an unsmart thing to do?
    Probably fine with an "enduro" style helmet with good coverage of the back of the head. I'd be a little more worried about a roadie/XC style helmet where there's no coverage below the ears - less protection against a backwards fall. Still better than a hat though.

There are some helmets (e.g. Movement 3tech) certified for biking as well as skiing and climbing.

So my first generation Petzl Meteor is long in the tooth and I was pondering a replacement. I'm growing more conservative with gear choices so helmets like the Salomon, Scott Couloir, Movement 3Tech and such have floated to the top of my list.

These helmets tend to hit around 400g. I realized I've never weighed my inbounds helmet (a Smith from a couple of years ago) and was surprised to see that it's 505g.

Well, for 100 g difference, I'm good. The darn thing might be too hot in the Spring however, which is likely the earliest I'll be getting out this year, but from a weight perspective, I'm OK with keeping another $150 in my wallet ;-)

One thing is clear - that when the time comes to replace my Smith, it will be something in the Mtn. Lab/Scott Couloir/Mvmt 3Tech class of helmet.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    So my first generation Petzl Meteor is long in the tooth and I was pondering a replacement. I'm growing more conservative with gear choices so helmets like the Salomon, Scott Couloir, Movement 3Tech and such have floated to the top of my list.

These helmets tend to hit around 400g. I realized I've never weighed my inbounds helmet (a Smith from a couple of years ago) and was surprised to see that it's 505g.

Well, for 100 g difference, I'm good. The darn thing might be too hot in the Spring however, which is likely the earliest I'll be getting out this year, but from a weight perspective, I'm OK with keeping another $150 in my wallet ;-)

One thing is clear - that when the time comes to replace my Smith, it will be something in the Mtn. Lab/Scott Couloir/Mvmt 3Tech class of helmet.

... Thom
    I have a Pret cynic AT i bought off the op. Only 10-12 days so far but its comfy. Boa type closure on the back and padding and placement are great. Ok venting but it could possibly have bigger or more vents. Its off for any substantial climbs though.My medium is 355g without the earflaps

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I have a Pret cynic AT i bought off the op. Only 10-12 days so far but its comfy. Boa type closure on the back and padding and placement are great. Ok venting but it could possibly have bigger or more vents. Its off for any substantial climbs though.My medium is 355g without the earflaps

Just to make sure folk don't think I sold grinch the Cynic AT because I dislike it -- I ski the same helmet in a different color. It is minimalist, comfy, fits goggles well, and very easy to pack. No fuss. I also ski without earflaps and don't wear on climbs either. No complaints for 350g.

I've heard the Movement 3Tech doesnt play nice with goggles. Scott Couloir was also on my list but looks like inadequate venting and weighs basically same as inbounds helmets (small, without earflaps and without liner, is 350g. Adult sizes with liners etc is 500g). Mtn Lab apparently has an unremovable liner and other odd choices?

I use the movement 3tech with outdoor master amazon specials, no problems with fit with that combo...

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Just to make sure folk don't think I sold grinch the Cynic AT because I dislike it -- I ski the same helmet in a different color. It is minimalist, comfy, fits goggles well, and very easy to pack. No fuss. I also ski without earflaps and don't wear on climbs either. No complaints for 350g.

I've heard the Movement 3Tech doesnt play nice with goggles. Scott Couloir was also on my list but looks like inadequate venting and weighs basically same as inbounds helmets (small, without earflaps and without liner, is 350g. Adult sizes with liners etc is 500g). Mtn Lab apparently has an unremovable liner and other odd choices?
    Thanks , for that and the lid. I shouldve said it was your spare you sold

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    I use the movement 3tech with outdoor master amazon specials, no problems with fit with that combo...
    I also have the movement 3tech and use it with Giro contact goggles, they work together with no issues. I can't imagine what issues someone would have using any goggles with the helmet.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Word. Maybe overblown

Thanks @grinch and @margotron ...

Somehow, this one flew by me. Venting looks/sounds about average to slightly above average. I like the idea of enough venting to wear on the up, for a few reasons: (1) Winter 'round these parts, I tend to wear a light skull cap, so this might replace that, (2) one less thing to hang off your pack, (3) when crossing sketchy terrain (not that this is ever planned), why not have protection.

I suspect if you dove into the specs, you'd find some sort of inverse relationship between venting and impact protection? When I look at my Petzl, I have to wonder how strong it really is. Maybe I'm full of it (I ain't no en-guh-near).

Short story .. added to my short list. I might have to jump on one of these, 'coz I see few deals for them at $112.

But ... the ... big ... question ... remains ...

Does it have a removable chin guard so when I'm bashing through the sapplings like Mikaela, I don't get slapped in the face ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by swerve View Post
    I also have the movement 3tech and use it with Giro contact goggles, they work together with no issues. I can't imagine what issues someone would have using any goggles with the helmet.
    Yeah, works fine with Smith I/Os aside from looking a little gaperish with goggles but no ear pads (I threw out the ridiculous "winter liner").

Thanks @grinch and @margotron ...

Somehow, this one flew by me. Venting looks/sounds about average to slightly above average. I like the idea of enough venting to wear on the up, for a few reasons: (1) Winter 'round these parts, I tend to wear a light skull cap, so this might replace that, (2) one less thing to hang off your pack, (3) when crossing sketchy terrain (not that this is ever planned), why not have protection.

I suspect if you dove into the specs, you'd find some sort of inverse relationship between venting and impact protection? When I look at my Petzl, I have to wonder how strong it really is. Maybe I'm full of it (I ain't no en-guh-near).

Short story .. added to my short list. I might have to jump on one of these, 'coz I see few deals for them at $112.

But ... the ... big ... question ... remains ...

Does it have a removable chin guard so when I'm bashing through the sapplings like Mikaela, I don't get slapped in the face ;-)

... Thom
    Sorry no chin guard. It does have a powder skirt though. Make sure thats in the box when you recieve it

Sorry no chin guard. It does have a powder skirt though. Make sure thats in the box when you recieve it

Powder skirt? NOW, I'm IN!!!
    Galibier Design

Powder skirt? NOW, I'm IN!!!
    Haaa, i do find it comfortable though