Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: AT Helmet halp

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Anyone of y'all rigged up a goggle retaining strap or bungee/hook situation on your Summits? Any suggestions?

I'll probably do it at some point this season, so if no one has a good pic/suggestion, I will post up my results. Should be pretty easy.
    I was going to grab those stick-on Goggle Grips but honestly after some use, i don't miss having a retaining strap too much.

I don't pop my goggles up/down as much as in resorts so i just don't find that the strap needs help staying put.

For the collective knowledge, I got a BD El Capitan helmet this year to replace my Movement Alpi 3 tech. It fits and stays in the right place better than the Movement, similar size/volume in the pack, lighter weight, and better oval shape for my head. Also better venting. However, it doesn’t fit big goggles as well, and doesn’t have as many certs. I decided not to worry about the multi cert thing.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by Ørion View Post
    I was going to grab those stick-on Goggle Grips but honestly after some use, i don't miss having a retaining strap too much.

I don't pop my goggles up/down as much as in resorts so i just don't find that the strap needs help staying put.
    Thanks for the insight. I got the Summit for patrolling and touring. When patrolling, I'd wear goggles if it's cold, so I might like to have some retainer. But I'll try it out first sans fixes.

I'd never seen the Goggle Grips, but that looks like an easy solution. Cheers!
    sproing!

Just bought another Smith Mtn Lab. Had heard there’d been some changes to the fit, but I can’t notice any changes from the well worn one (I think I got 7 seasons out of it) I’m replacing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Just bought another Smith Mtn Lab. Had heard there’d been some changes to the fit, but I can’t notice any changes from the well worn one (I think I got 7 seasons out of it) I’m replacing.
    You mean Salomon MTN Lab?

Thanks for the insight. I got the Summit for patrolling and touring. When patrolling, I'd wear goggles if it's cold, so I might like to have some retainer. But I'll try it out first sans fixes.

I'd never seen the Goggle Grips, but that looks like an easy solution. Cheers!
    I could totally see needing a little extra security if you're using the helmet for inbounds patrolling. The rear of the goggle strap does like popping up if you're not careful when raising your goggles.

I know of that model specifically because a lot of instructors use them at my home resort. There's a few other manufacturers making similar designs though I can't speak to the practicality of any of them from personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    You mean Salomon MTN Lab?
    Yes, brain fart.

AT Helmet halp

Anyone of y'all rigged up a goggle retaining strap or bungee/hook situation on your Summits? Any suggestions?

I'll probably do it at some point this season, so if no one has a good pic/suggestion, I will post up my results. Should be pretty easy.
    Different helmet but yeah I rigged some thin bungy cord loops on my camp skimo helmet - one on each side does the job but I added one at the back too - works pretty well. Easy to do as long as your helmet has open vents in the right places which it looks like the Summit does. Will take some pics if I remember but it’s not anything particularly revolutionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    The Scott helmet is very oval, so it didn't work for my round-ish head. Sounds like it may be a good fit for you.
    Big melon guy (61cm) with an oval shape. My normal helmet is a Scott and it fits nicely. Any other potential lightweight AT helmets, or should I just try to find a Scott Couloir?

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Big melon guy (61cm) with an oval shape. My normal helmet is a Scott and it fits nicely. Any other potential lightweight AT helmets, or should I just try to find a Scott Couloir?
    If you’re interested i have a large couloir i’m looking to sell

Thanks for the offer, but I'm in NZ :-)

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Yes, brain fart.
    Great helmet, I have three of them. Use them for alpine skiing as well.

Solly mtn lab people: some got shipped with a summer liner back in the day. Mine didn’t. Anyone willing to part with a small one? Otherwise, others had luck just putting some bike helmet-style padding in there for warmer weather?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

i'm slowly accepting the fact than i should get a new helmet. my 25+ year-old boeri has served me well. i want MIPS, low profile, durability, and ventilation. Minimal coverage and no ear flaps. a sun visor would be nice, too, but i often wear a hat underneath with it's hot. My current old boeri is fairly unique, and it's how many friends and family first notice me on the hill. So unique color is good, too. Use when touring, working on the hill, and free skiing. My head doesn't seem to fit many types of helmet (e.g., never found a giro that fit). I have a big head. I need to try them on before purchasing.

If i can find them: I'm considering sweet protection ascender (durable?), other(?) sweet protection, smith summit, what else? the helmet strap thing for the smith summit seems odd to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    i'm slowly accepting the fact than i should get a new helmet. my 25+ year-old boeri has served me well. i want MIPS, low profile, durability, and ventilation. Minimal coverage and no ear flaps. a sun visor would be nice, too, but i often wear a hat underneath with it's hot. My current old boeri is fairly unique, and it's how many friends and family first notice me on the hill. So unique color is good, too. Use when touring, working on the hill, and free skiing. My head doesn't seem to fit many types of helmet (e.g., never found a giro that fit). I have a big head. I need to try them on before purchasing.

If i can find them: I'm considering sweet protection ascender (durable?), other(?) sweet protection, smith summit, what else? the helmet strap thing for the smith summit seems odd to me.
    Pret helmets tick all those boxes. I like my Salomon Mtn Lab, particularly the swappable liners (great for skiing with a ball cap), no MIPS but has EPS4D (whatever that is).

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post

I've got a Pret Cynic AT that ticks most of those boxes except the brim (though I wear mine with a ball cap almost always and its pretty comfortable).

Thanks. I’ll check out pret’s line up.

Atomics new mountaineering helmet… is rated for skiing/climbing and mtbing ..I like mine so much, I’ve started wearing it from c2c on tours.

i'll look into the atomic one, too. My bike helmet is about 15 years old....

a little stoke: here's my current boeri helmet. photo is from 2007, i think. a finger chute at kirkwood.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finger chute in powder.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	491143

i mean we all know there is an actual lifespan to a helmet right?

Keeps my head dry and helps with branches. That’s always been my expectation for that helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    i mean we all know there is an actual lifespan to a helmet right?
    Nah, helmets are like bindings. Indemnification charts are for losers.