Bike transport in winter

Am I dumb to consider transporting a bike on a hitch rack for a 300 km drive in winter? Roads are currently pretty wet and dirty.

I'm mostly wondering if the road grime etc is more than just a slight pain in the ass to clean off or if I'll do a disproportionate amount of wear and tear.

Going to the inlaws for xmas and if I have the fat bike with me I can spend less time in the company of said inlaws.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I contaminated Shimano disc pads on a salt spray hitch rack drive, and was never able to get them cleaned again - burning, alcohol, sanding - nothing worked.

I won't do that again. Remove the pads at least, and get ready for hosing off the bike on arrival.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Good to know... thanks.

There's a car wash near where I'm going I could do the low pressure soak and rinse at.

No issues with drivetrain?

Maybe wrap it up with plastic sheeting and tape for the drive? As long as you don't mind how it looks

Muc Off makes disc covers for transport that work really well. They cover the rotor and caliper.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Good to know... thanks.

There's a car wash near where I'm going I could do the low pressure soak and rinse at.

No issues with drivetrain?

The bike I'm willing to subject to the road slop is a 2008 singlespeed. Didn't have any issues with bearings anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Muc Off makes disc covers for transport that work really well. They cover the rotor and caliper.
    Those look great... I wished I asked this question earlier as I leave tomorrow and can't get those in time.

Might buy some anyway for next time.

I think plastic wrap is the ticket for this trip.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I bought a pair of smallish tarps at Walmart or someplace when faced with a similar decision and it's worked out fine. I think the tires stuck out slightly the last time, so maybe 6 ft/2m square? Grommetted holes around the edges, sewn up with paracord.

On our tray rack I just put the tarp down before the bikes, with about 80% of the tarp ahead of the wheel mounts so the front facing side and top are covered but there is enough left behind the tire/rack to secure it once tied. Complete coverage of 2 bikes takes both tarps (shingled) on our rack, but one is almost as good so I haven't used both yet. Might be worth setting it up to drain at the bottom, but I always feel like stopping upwardly mobile grime and spray is the priority.

Bonus to a full wrap: it looks like it's not worth stealing.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    nice!
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    I bought a pair of smallish tarps at Walmart or someplace when faced with a similar decision and it's worked out fine. I think the tires stuck out slightly the last time, so maybe 6 ft/2m square? Grommetted holes around the edges, sewn up with paracord.

On our tray rack I just put the tarp down before the bikes, with about 80% of the tarp ahead of the wheel mounts so the front facing side and top are covered but there is enough left behind the tire/rack to secure it once tied. Complete coverage of 2 bikes takes both tarps (shingled) on our rack, but one is almost as good so I haven't used both yet. Might be worth setting it up to drain at the bottom, but I always feel like stopping upwardly mobile grime and spray is the priority.

Bonus to a full wrap: it looks like it's not worth stealing.
    I'd be worried about blocking the tail lights with a tarp covering the entire bike.

I used plastic bags and tuck tape to cover the brakes. Very dirty drive... the truck and bike both needed a wash when I arrived. Used low pressure soak and low pressure rinse and the bike is sparkling clean. Put some fresh chain oil in and ready to ride.

I think I'm going to buy those Muc Off covers to save time for next time.

I've plastic wrapped a bike for the long drive, get a roll of that stuff they use to hold together boxes on pallets
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I use motorcycle chain lube on my winter commuter. Inside (steel frame), outside, any part that moves. It's messy to clean but has no rust. I would hit your bike with some of this thick, nasty bizness before the trip.

Overthinking, just wrap in a blue tarp and go.
    Don't do this

took forever to get them cleaned up

If your bikes are behind an RV and really wind sheltered this works great https://www.swagman.net/product/swag...ntal-bike-bag/ I don't know that I'd use it on a suv or pickup because the wind will hammer it. There's also the blocking the license plate thing that some states here in the northeast have a problem with because it means the toll cameras can't get you.

I'm really glad I brought the bike.

What better way to spend a cold dreary day than on some trails instead of with my inlaws or my crying son!

Good decision to bring the bike. It’s not art to look at, it’s a tool to hammer with.
    I’ve driven my bikes through fuck all weather and they’re fine. Not gonna be worse than a rainy weekend at an East Coast bike park.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I've plastic wrapped a bike for the long drive, get a roll of that stuff they use to hold together boxes on pallets
    Shrink wrap. That is a good idea, but...fucking single use plastic.

Didn't know where to put this, and this thread was at least slightly related.

I have a pickup with a soft topper and I transport my bikes with a tailgate pad (no rear flap). Works fine for short jaunts but it's a pain for trips where other crap is in the bed, or for chaining it up when parked for beers. We're going to switch to a full on topper to for a number of reasons, which means goodbye tailgate pad. The logical bike dude solution is a hitch rack, but the truck is also our toddler transporter and mrs bw doesn't want to deal with a hitch rack on a daily basis, and I don't want to install it on the truck every time I ride. Not a lot of other great options for bike racks on trucks with toppers so I got creative.

Stealing inspiration from the Thule Insta-gater and #vanlife I got a Rockymounts track and axle mount rigged up with some old snowboard ratchets and shelf brackets. Didn't want to bolt the track to the bed for flexibility reasons.

It takes about a minute to load / unload my bike, which might get better with practice. I wanted to give it a shot before the hard shell comes in to assess pain-in-the-ass level. I know camper shells aren't thief-proof but it would be out of sight and locked behind the tailgate/window. Test drives are solid so far but we'll see. Just wanted to share in case someone else had a similar problem.

I run a similar setup under my topper for when I'm towing the camper or want the bike out of sight. 2x6 slides into the bed slot (f150) with two Kuat dirtbags. I had them bolted down in my old beater but this gives me a lot more flexibility. Two bikes fills up most of the 6.5 bed though.

Nice, and yeah probably a bit cheaper. At some point I'll see if two bikes fit on this setup, but it's not a priority.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1629735016.391283.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	242.7 KB 
ID:	383252

Mine is a similar concept - just more ghetto. Kicking them at an angle keeps the bars out of the way of each other and makes more room for the doggo. I toss a bleed kit spacer thingy in the brake pads for those times I accidentally squeeze the binders on loading.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Discontinued but I picked up one of these on eBay and threw on a fork mount adapter.

https://www.amaincycling.com/yakima-...azssqq5eqzwdwz

With that said I end up using my tailgate pad most of the time or if quick solo trips just lay it in truck bed. I don’t have a topper though so make pad easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by VTskibum; 08-23-2021 at 03:14 PM.

Quick trip to the plumbing section at the hardware store yields the parts for a mount. Cost about $6 a few years ago, probably more these days.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1629745762.941560.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	383278

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Discontinued but I picked up one of these on eBay and threw on a fork mount adapter.

https://www.amaincycling.com/yakima-...azssqq5eqzwdwz

With that said I end up using my tailgate pad most of the time or if quick solo trips just lay it in truck bed. I don’t have a topper though so make pad easy.

Holy crap I didn't know that existed! Basically what I was going for.

Ha as soon as I saw yours was my immediate thought. Has been useful when I need it