Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Door hardware question

I have these older interior doors and have no idea what this hardware is or where i can get replacements.
    If anyone knows where I can buy some I’d appreciate it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8427.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	307351

Name:	IMG_8428.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	307352

Call chown hardware in the Seattle area if that doesn't work try builders also in Seattle

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

That's weird, man. It looks like someone didn't know what they were doing and instead of doing a standard bore hold they did a small one for the door handle mechanism and two smaller ones for screws that hold the two sizes together. It is something that could be fixed by doing a normal 2 1/8" bore with a hole saw.

That' an old school rim lock system that probably was reused mated with a newer handle. Look for rim lock handles. If you have a local home dismantler/resale shop they usually have piles of them.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    That' an old school rim lock system that probably was reused mated with a newer handle. Look for rim lock handles. If you have a local home dismantler/resale shop they usually have piles of them.
    are you sure? I don't see edge of the door well enough to tell but I'm no expert. Rim lock hardware easily available on line as well.
    Beautiful vertical grain DF. Nowadays a VGDF door is likely to be veneered. I have 6.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    are you sure? I don't see edge of the door well enough to tell but I'm no expert. Rim lock hardware easily available on line as well.
    Beautiful vertical grain DF. Nowadays a VGDF door is likely to be veneered. I have 6.
    After looking closer at the first photo you might be right. I don't see anything other than the latch and plate.

I had to mess with thse kind of doors in GF's house, its 100 yrs old also old also they got doors from a salvage place in Edmonton, not hard to figure out but different than anything I had ever seen
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'd probably just drill for a modern door set, but you might want to glue in a piece of dowel if you can find one big enough to capture the pilot bit of the hole saw so the hole saw doesn't wander.

I'd probably just drill for a modern door set, but you might want to glue in a piece of dowel if you can find one big enough to capture the pilot bit of the hole saw so the hole saw doesn't wander.
    Bore a 2 1/8" hole in a 3/4" piece of ply, then clamp on door as a hole saw guide.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Bore a 2 1/8" hole in a 3/4" piece of ply, then clamp on door as a hole saw guide.
    Isn't that what I said? ;- )

Use "The old double whole saw trick. Put your 2 1/8 hole saw on the bit, then screw on the 1" (or was ever size that hole in the door is) which will act as a pilot.
    Skip to 1:56

If only the made a lockset boring jig...oh waitClick image for larger version. 

Name:	D180004_1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	767.5 KB 
ID:	307590

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If only the made a lockset boring jig...oh waitClick image for larger version. 

Name:	D180004_1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	767.5 KB 
ID:	307590
    I guess if you've got a lot of doors to drill . . . .

Think of me what you will
    I’ve got a lot of doors to drill

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Door hardware question

That door originally had glass doorknobs. The square shaft is the clue.

Irwin makes one for $12. I always wonder with these type of thread, so TGR. Have you actually ever bored and mortised a door slab and jamb or are you just talking out your ass? Skideep has 6 doors. If you fuck up, you gotta buy a new door that will be very difficult to match and will probably cost about $350 pre-hung (cause after you fucked up you first time, you are probably gonna get it pre-hung).

The great thing about this place is there usually is an expert at just about everything. Challenge is, you often don't know who it is. So, it is easy to look like a know nothing keyboard jockey when then pro's show up and tell you how it is done in the real world. When it gets real good is when is when people double down on stupid and dig the hole cheaper.

Buy the jig, bore the slab. Install a Kwikset of Schlage of your choice. Check to make sure the latch plate matches the mortise on the jamb. Install the latch plate last (unlike the directions) to make sure the door operated properly.

I can't count how many doors I've made and hung. I'll use a plywood jig over that yellow piece of shit any day.

Merry Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    That door originally had glass doorknobs. The square shaft is the clue.
    we have a bunch of doors with glass knobs. They keep falling off.
    Irwin makes one for $12. I always wonder with these type of thread, so TGR. Have you actually ever bored and mortised a door slab and jamb or are you just talking out your ass? Skideep has 6 doors. If you fuck up, you gotta buy a new door that will be very difficult to match and will probably cost about $350 pre-hung (cause after you fucked up you first time, you are probably gonna get it pre-hung).

The great thing about this place is there usually is an expert at just about everything. Challenge is, you often don't know who it is. So, it is easy to look like a know nothing keyboard jockey when then pro's show up and tell you how it is done in the real world. When it gets real good is when is when people double down on stupid and dig the hole cheaper.

Buy the jig, bore the slab. Install a Kwikset of Schlage of your choice. Check to make sure the latch plate matches the mortise on the jamb. Install the latch plate last (unlike the directions) to make sure the door operated properly.

Name:	20191225_063811.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	974.5 KB 
ID:	307608
    I've drilled and bored a number of doors, like this one. Which I built. 42 x 96. Solid oak. Stiles and rails are laminated from two pieces of oak to prevent warping. Panels have styrofoam between two pieces for insulation. Hung on 4 ball bearing hinges. I prehung it on the jambs in my shop. Took two of us to hang. I couldn't get far enough back to fit the whole door in the picture and I'm too lazy to put on shoes to take a picture from the outside. Sorry.

I do appreciate the painfully obvious methods for enlarging an existing hole saw hole. I assume the plywood method will work with spade bits too. Thanks. I'll use that method when my wife lets me replace those old glass knobs.

My suggestion to glue in a filler in the existing hole is dumb.

Well allrighty wood shamans, I take it back. I you have mad skills and you've got all day, feel free to go all Norm Abrams and build your own jig. If you are just the average hack like me, are trying to make a bit of money, and can use all the help you can get, consider purchasing an off the shelf jig.

You could probably substitute one of these in and not need a jig or a drill motor. I'm sure there are upgrades in duty cycle and quality are also available

https://www.primeline.net/product-ca...oor-latch-sets

Older doors like that have a narrower stile, modern locksets will end up off center like the one pictured
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Can confirm those glass knobs loved to fall off those old spindle sets. I had to crawl out a window of an old bungalow back in the 80's because of it.

Used to have boxes full of those glass knobs and spindles at the local building salvage yards, we didn't have the money or budget to shop at Liz's or Crown City.

Well allrighty wood shamans, I take it back. I you have mad skills and you've got all day, feel free to go all Norm Abrams and build your own jig. If you are just the average hack like me, are trying to make a bit of money, and can use all the help you can get, consider purchasing an off the shelf jig.
    How you do it when you're trying to make money, and how you do it when you're trying to save money are different. For you time saved is money made. I'm retired. My time is worth nothing. (For the average DIYer like me the biggest time suck is the trip back to HD to buy what you should have bought in the first place.)
    Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Older doors like that have a narrower stile, modern locksets will end up off center like the one pictured
    On locksets I've worked with the backset is adjustable--but enough? In any case skidepow already has an off center hole he just needs to enlarge.

Door hardware question

Can confirm those glass knobs loved to fall off those old spindle sets. I had to crawl out a window of an old bungalow back in the 80's because of it.
    Yes! I now remember having to do that in my old house. Such fun when it is your Lady locked in the bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    Yes! I now remember having to do that in my old house. Such fun when it is your Lady locked in the bathroom.
    A buddy of mine split a baggy of mushrooms with me,

at 170lbs I had the perfect dosage but at 130 lbs she was very possibly over medicated which is likely why she later freaked out when the glass door knob fell off and she was stuck in a room while I on the other hand experianced a spectacular light show at the Canada day fireworks

IMHO you wana replace an old lockset with another old style lockset and if you can't figure it out you should not be trying to mount your own fucking skis
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know