Moment Wildcat 108 vs ? For 50/50

After some recent advise in the moment skis thread I'm leaning towards the regular WC 108 instead of the tour 108 for 50/50 resort/touring skiing (I'm 6'3, 205). Which is all fine and dandy until I remembered the WC 108 is a new ski for this year so therefore is out of my price range until at least the spring. I am currently using Rocker 2 108s w/ Shifts which I like but haven't skied enough skis to really know, and they're heavy. I mainly ski trees and have a more centered stance. I also have Noctas that I use for a 50/50 pow ski. Any recommendations?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BC Corvus 188 (not Freebird). ~2000 grams but mob on hard and float like a larger ski. Flat with riser tip means pivots great but double titanal sheets are very nice on hard.

A full price Moment is is worth more than 2 cheap skis in my opinion. If you have figured out you want the Wildcat 108 start saving.

hoji

Well... I have the Wildcat 108... and my powder ski is also the Nocta, for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by dub2 View Post
    hoji
    Over the raven?

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Well... I have the Wildcat 108... and my powder ski is also the Nocta, for what it's worth.
    And you like the combo?

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Over the raven?

Depends on what and where you ski. I've skied my Hojis in a wide variety of conditions and have really enjoyed them as an all rounder. I think that they mesh well with most types of snow you'll see in the backcountry. They have plenty of float for deeper days and do well in difficult snow like breakable crust. Have skied them in the resort some, and they do fine except for the firmest of days. Ravens would give you more firm snow performance and a reduction in weight while sacrificing some of the Hojis ability in deeper and weird snow.

Quote Originally Posted by dub2 View Post
    Depends on what and where you ski. I've skied my Hojis in a wide variety of conditions and have really enjoyed them as an all rounder. I think that they mesh well with most types of snow you'll see in the backcountry. They have plenty of float for deeper days and do well in difficult snow like breakable crust. Have skied them in the resort some, and they do fine except for the firmest of days. Ravens would give you more firm snow performance and a reduction in weight while sacrificing some of the Hojis ability in deeper and weird snow.
    I have the nocta as a powder ski so that's why I'm leaning towards the raven. Will the raven/hoji hold up on a resort? (6'3, 205 lb)

Last edited by brundo; 12-23-2019 at 08:13 AM.

And you like the combo?
    Well, I have other skis too... but currently the Nocta and Wildcat 108 are my favorites of the bunch.

FWIW, I also own Ravens and while they're stiff for how light they are, at your size you might overpower them. I wouldn't want to ski them in the resort (which I've tried).

I have the nocta as a powder ski so that's why I'm leaning towards the raven. Will the raven/hoji hold up on a resort? (6'3, 205 lb)

I have Ravens and I enjoy them in all back country conditions. They're super fun in low angle powder, which is most of my mid winter touring. They also handle spring conditions well enough. When I've taken them to the resort to access to side country, I can tolerate them, but would not enjoy them as a 50/50 ski. The firmer the conditions the worse they are. For me they're almost impossible to carve small turns and make me use a lot more muscle to navigate the gaper slalom while getting from lift to gate. I personally prefer a heavier ski with a little bit of camber for when I'm in resort. If you're not taking your 50/50 ski more than a couple of miles, I'd recommend something with more weight. I plan on getting something fatter and burlier with shifts for my side country missions this year.

For reference, I'm 5' 10" on the 184 mounted with kingpins and using Maestrale. I also don't like how soft the Maestrales feel in bounds, so that could contribute to my opinions on the set up as well. I've never tried skiing the Raven with a stiffer boot, but it could help me put more energy into turns/stops.

Okay, so Raven/hoji seem to be ruled out. Praxis MVP looks interesting. Faction Candide 3.0?

Hmmm, ever considered a Vwerks Katana? Buddy of mine is your size and loves the 191's. If reverse camber is your jam then Katana or Corvus worth a look. Used Katanas are getting affordable nowadays.

I've heard the Candide 3.0 was easy to break, but also read that it's been fixed/improved recently.

If you want a new ski the '19 Corvus for $499 at Evo is a damn good deal for this time of year.