ditch old passat 4motion sedan for old 100k mile 1.8l 5sp passat wagon, right?

I freaking hate sedans. I like wagons. I love the idea of a mildly lifted Sienna AWD, but I digress.

The current vehicle is a Passat 4motion sedan. If it was a wagon I wouldn't ask the question. How it ended up as my car is a long story that in retrospect is real schadenfreude stuff. If laughing at the folly and misfortune of others is your thing have at it here:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Fix-it-or-what

Short version is I spent a lot on the top end of an old Saab (that wasn't even a fucking wagon) then major (lower end) shit ensued that posed the obvious question: why the fuck did I (and competent mechanic) not see that coming?. He then procured for me for a song a similar high mileage sedan, a 4motion.

AWD is fun but not essential for me 99% of the time. I use snows in winter. This 4motion has 188k, timing belt last summer, it was damn near perfect for the ten days I drove it before an idiot in an x5 hit me in a Costco parking lot on fucking Halloween. No major damage but insurance declared it a total because it's old. I replaced fender, headlight and turn signal. It's not pretty up front with a crack in the bumper plastic but I don't care how it looks. I am concerned about 188k miles, guzzly V6 (I had a FWD Passat years ago that was thirsty but the 4motion is ridiculous) and most significantly it's not a fuckin' wagon.

The wagon I might buy tomorrow is a 2001 1.8l b5.5 GLS 5-speed with 106k miles. It will need a timing belt right away. 2 owners, Carfax indicates regular maintenance. I drove it, like it, will have some pros go over it to confirm my gut impression. I think I can get it for $2.5k

What do all the wise, or otherwise, people here say?

I do most the work on the family fleet which ranges from ‘95 to ‘04, and all well over 200k. At 106k, I assume no rust issues, and reasonably maintained? I say do it for $2.5k, just allow that you could have almost another $1k into it after purchase for wear items (brakes, tires) plus that timing belt. Don’t know this engine, but is it typical to do tensioners and water pump with the belt?

Quote Originally Posted by charlesj View Post
    The current vehicle is a Passat 4motion sedan.
    Currently getting rid of one of these with ~125,000. Did it's job and was a decent car for my kids when they were in school in snowy locations. Thirsty

The wagon I might buy tomorrow is a 2001 1.8l b5.5 GLS 5-speed with 106k miles. It will need a timing belt right away. 2 owners, Carfax indicates regular maintenance. I drove it, like it, will have some pros go over it to confirm my gut impression. I think I can get it for $2.5k
    I bought one of those new, black exterior with tan interior. Sexy and fun to drive. Sold it with ~140,000. Decent car, but can nickel and dime you. And if you're not wrenching on it yourself, repairs are expensive, even if you have an independent VW mechanic instead of the dealer. Buy snow tires.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsmith View Post
    I do most the work on the family fleet which ranges from ‘95 to ‘04, and all well over 200k. At 106k, I assume no rust issues, and reasonably maintained? I say do it for $2.5k, just allow that you could have almost another $1k into it after purchase for wear items (brakes, tires) plus that timing belt. Don’t know this engine, but is it typical to do tensioners and water pump with the belt?
    Yup, tensioners and water pump

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    Currently getting rid of one of these with ~125,000. Did it's job and was a decent car for my kids when they were in school in snowy locations. Thirsty

I bought one of those new, black exterior with tan interior. Sexy and fun to drive. Sold it with ~140,000. Decent car, but can nickel and dime you. And if you're not wrenching on it yourself, repairs are expensive, even if you have an independent VW mechanic instead of the dealer. Buy snow tires.
    Skuff, I always get snows. Is the 4motion you're selling a sedan? if not where are you? I bitch about the thirsty V6 but the awd is nice.

This would be my third Passat if I get it. Yes, I know they require more nickel and diming. Water gets into stuff, expensive suspension components, clutch and/or turbo could fail soon, will need timing belt etc. I'm kinda talking myself out of it... but it is a 4cyl 5sp roomy wagon with a mere 100k miles for cheap.

the 1.8ts will sludge the oil if you don't use the good stuff and change regularly make sure you get a good ppi. I had a v6 b5 wagon, it was a great car but expensive to run, I would not recommend if you are on a tight budget. I now drive a slightly new bmw awd wagon which drinks more gas and is running a bit lower on shop costs but I also bought it with far fewer miles than the passat. Wishing for a awd golf R but VW won't be sending that model to the states.

Skuff, I always get snows. Is the 4motion you're selling a sedan? if not where are you? I bitch about the thirsty V6 but the awd is nice.

This would be my third Passat if I get it. Yes, I know they require more nickel and diming. Water gets into stuff, expensive suspension components, clutch and/or turbo could fail soon, will need timing belt etc. I'm kinda talking myself out of it... but it is a 4cyl 5sp roomy wagon with a mere 100k miles for cheap.
    My 4motion is a sedan. Selling it to the mechanic that sold it to me, and wrenched on it all these years.

I had a B5 Passat wagon 1.8T. With snow tires it was a blast in the snow. I sold it once the expensive repairs started adding up at 100k. It was a 2001 and I sold it for less than $5k back in 2007. Sounds like sub $3k is where they bottomed out huh.

If constantly fixing cars is your thing then get one. Hopefully it has heated seats at least. Enjoy fixing window regulators, control arms, and coil packs.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Wishing for a awd golf R but VW won't be sending that model to the states.
    Huh?

for buyers who want the ultimate Golf, the R-rated version—with standard all-wheel drive and a bunch more horses under the hood—is it.
    https://www.caranddriver.com/volkswagen/golf-r