Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Good quality record player? Bang for the buck?

Okay audiophiles, I came into a record collection with some great classics. Floyd, Zep, The Who, etc.

What's a good quality record player and speakers to spin these sweet platters?

Looking for that sweet spot between quality, value, and price. I want to be able to experience the nuances of the types of lush arrangements noted above, but I don't want to go down the rabbit hole spending $10,000 on some crazy system. I don't have a budget yet, as I don't know enough about this type of audio system.

Shinola any good? Do I really need to spend $2500 on a turntable alone? Better value for the same or less money?

Learn me bout some phonographs.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 12-23-2019 at 12:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

galibier_numero_un has his own turntable business http://galibierdesign.com/

I doubt they're cheap, but I'm sure he's an expert on the topic.

My take, after looking at the rabbit hole and declining to go down it: the rest of your system probably matters more than the turntable itself. Also, a good needle seems to help.

For whatever it's worth, I ended up with a Rega RP1. Gets good reviews, and wasn't absurdly expensive. I don't have too many tables to compare it to, but it sounds good to my ears.

IMO from matters most to not at all: source, speakers, power of the amp(s) (more power=more better), preamp (KISS principle applies), cables (don't matter at all)

Put another way, a good turntable/stylus/cartridge matters because you don't want to be amplifying shit, but it's diminishing returns after you hit the "good" level. Same goes for CD player/DACs.

After that it's all about speakers. That's where you want to put your money. And you probably know this but I'll say it anyway, most of the big brands are mediocre at best.

I guess to modify my previous post - I agree with Ted that the turntable matters, but it seemed like the differences between a ~$400 turntable and a $1500 turntable were really small. My conclusion was: save some money on the turntable itself (without going with the truly cheap stuff) and upgrade the cartridge.

The Audio Technica LP-120 keeps showing up as the #1 choice in reviews of really good, moderately priced mid-level turntables....plus it has USB capability, so you can rip your vinyl.

I keep buying skis instead of getting this deck, though.

And I have an entire room full of vinyl (and still no turntable!).

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

That Audio Technica one is what I bought a few years ago. Works fine, but I rarely play vinyl anymore. I've never used the USB ripping feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I have the cheaper audio technica LP60. I have it plugged into a mini amp and a pair of Polk S15 bookshelf’s. Probably under $400 for the whole system. A nicer fit and finish on the record player would be nice but I can’t complain about the sound quality, it’s pretty good considering how cheap it was. I’m sure purists will scoff... but snobs will be snobs...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I can tell shit from shinola and in this case shinola is shit. I’d look for a Technics, Rega, music hall or pro-ject to get those grooves rockin. Get something modest and if the vinyl bug bites you can upgrade your system. id try something in the 2-300 used 3-500 new range. Can vouch for the Rega P1. Very nice unit.

Fluance makes good stuff, reasonably priced.

Audio Technica LP-120 has been solid for me.

I have a U-Turn Orbit (about the same price as the LP-120) and my non-audiophile ears like it. I'm quite positive that my speakers are holding back the quality, not the turntable. One nice thing about the U-Turn (beyond them being a small US-made company) is that you can get the turntable built to order, so if you want an upgraded stylus, you can do that.

What's the preferred method for cleaning the albums these days? Dusty album on good turntable sounds even more crackly.

I've still got a discwasher kit with the solution for the records and stylus cleaner. Running middle quality Technics turntables. Rarely pull them down and play them, but nice to have available to mess with from time to time.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I have a U-Turn Orbit (about the same price as the LP-120) and my non-audiophile ears like it. I'm quite positive that my speakers are holding back the quality, not the turntable. One nice thing about the U-Turn (beyond them being a small US-made company) is that you can get the turntable built to order, so if you want an upgraded stylus, you can do that.
    That's what I have and I also recommend it. Been a great unit!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Okay, so I've done some looking around based on suggestions and "best of" internet lists, and came down to these two:

Fluance RT81 Elite
    Audio Technica LP-120

Comments on both?
    Vs. each other?

Edit to add...

More research, pulled the trigger on the Audio Technica LP-120
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 12-26-2019 at 10:47 AM.

nice choice, that's a copy of the Technics 1200 that was very reliable, it comes with an AT 95 cartridge that sounds nice for it's price I have one on a Sony DD that may get upgraded eventually. I just replaced the belt on this Technics and the Grado cartridge sounds great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7425.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	307740

Now the hunt for speakers...

The Edifier r1700 seem to show up as a good speaker for the money.

Any suggestions?

I like my Khorns

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    I like my Khorns
    No doubt.

I'd love some Paradigm Personas, but I'd like to keep the speakers in line with, or slightly above, the quality of the turntable for now.

Do you have an amplifier/receiver? Model? What city are you in? Open to used gear? Floorstanders an option or must be bookshelf?

Audio Technica LP-120

No amp or reciever. I will likely get the Pro-ject Tube Box S eventually.

I'd prefer bookshelf speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Audio Technica LP-120

No amp or reciever. I will likely get the Pro-ject Tube Box S eventually.

I'd prefer bookshelf speakers.
    Love my project. If you are trying to save space you can get one with a built in preamp and get some powered speakers. Plug and play.

https://www.project-audio.com/en/pro...-esprit-sb-dc/
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

If you decide to go passive speaker route With the tube box I’d look at
    NHT SuperOne 2.1’s (good value)
    Elac debut 2.0 B6.2 (many positive reviews)
    Dayton B652 ($70/pair! stereophile recommended)
    PSB alpha P5 (less detailed full sound without sub)

Whatever you choose I’d recommend going with a 5”+ cone and consider adding a sub later.

edit: tube box s is a phono pre not an amp. Dont know too much about powered speakers.
    Last edited by skialpy; 12-28-2019 at 11:22 AM.

These are "The Best" Hands Down
    https://www.dual-plattenspieler.eu/en/home.html
    I used to be into HiF back in the day. Dual is a bit obscure unless you play in the deep end of the pool.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Lots of quality old school components out there for sale for short money. My chiropractor is really into it. The other day he showed me a Bang and Olufsen receiver it was all touch control and in great shape. He was telling me about replacing the belts on several turntables. I'll take some pictures next week and post them. He had the old school Marantz receiver and a ton of cool vinyl. I'm inspired to put together a system. We were also talking about old school car stereo stuff like the Alpine he has in his Jeep Cherokee with a slide out.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.