The evolution of the Bibby/Blister pro

I understand most of the history of these skis from the change in the 13/14 season that made them less chargers (and pissed off the Blister guys), to the Blister Pro coming out in 14/15 to bring back the original, to Moment re-releasing the Bibby in it's original form in 15/16. Where it gets cloudy for me is how it evolved from that hard charging version to the modern day Wildcat.

In the 2019-2020 review of the Bibby Pro/Wildcat Jonathan E. said, "But the Blister Pro / Wildcat (as it’s currently called) has undergone some construction changes, with the primary difference being that the ski is now coming in lighter than it had before." He went on to say that it wasn't the hard-charger it used to be..... In the Podcast with Moment's Luke Jacobsen, Luke said the primary reason that the Bibby got lighter was from switching from sandwich to semi-cap construction which I assumed happened for the 2019/2020 version since that was the first time Blister mentioned the construction changes.

But then I was looking at buying a 2017-2018 pair and noticed that it had the semi-cap. So I spoke to Luke Koppa at Blister and he said, yeah, if it has semi-cap it's definitely the "Wildcat" version and not the hard charger. He wasn't sure when they switched to semi-cap construction but thought it was in 2018 so he said to look for some 2017 or earlier that had sandwich construction. I found a pair of 2016/2017 Bibby pros but when they arrived, they also had the semi-cap construction. So I called Moment and asked when they switched to semi-cap and the guy wasn't sure but thought it was around 2014.

So I'm confused....had the lighter Wildcat version of the Bibby/Blister been out for several years before Blister realized there favorite ski has been changed again or was there some other construction change that took place in 2019 that was different than the semi-cap change? The fact that nobody has said the 2016-2019 Bibby's have totally sucked makes me think there's more to the story but JE certainly doesn't like the newer version as much as the old and Luke K says that if it has semi-cap, it isn't the OG hard charger. Hopefully someone here can clarify this for me as neither Moment nor Blister was sure when it changed again.

Moment went semi cap in 2014 or something like that, but only lost a significant amount of weight for the 17/18 or 18/19 models. The semi cap construction process was revised each year, the lighter skis only came after a specific revision.

My 17/18 pb&js still weigh a significant amount compared to the newer ones so I think it was 18/19 when the change happened. Also 90% sure luke made it clear in the moment thread.

Weigh the bibbys, if they weigh around 2300-2400g for the 190s you’re good.

Fwiw, my 17/18 pbjs are semi cap and weigh the same as current version (~1750g for 182) so you may have a heavy pair. Also possible of course that I have a light pair.

To OP - I bet someone from moment will chime in at some point to clarify (easier to get their attention in the moment-specific thread), but if I were you I would just ski them - they will still charge hard. Or, wait until next year when they may add some weight back in.

The change to a semi cap construction and the use of carbon infused fiberglass(instead of carbon stringers added separately on top of fiberglass) are the 2 big reasons there was the weight savings in the Wildcat models.

The change to semi-cap construction was done in the later builds of the 2017/2018 season as early builds like my 2017/2018 Bibby’s were the old, heavier build and those made in the later builds-(I’m guessing Late Summer/Fall/Winter) of 2017 they switched to the semi-cap lighter build. So there are 2017/2018 Bibbys(last year of Bibby’s before Wildcat) with the old build if they were built earlier and the new build if they were built later in the year. I learned this when I inquired at Moment about my used 2017/18 Bibby’s I was about to purchase. PB&Js seemed to have switched to semi-cap around the same time too. My 2016 PB&Js were the old, heavier build.

Early 2018 started the Wildcat which continued with the lighter build.

Think the confusion comes as there are many that ordered late production 2017/18 Bibby’s(so new semi cap construction etc) or into the Wildcat versions with the 2016 Bibby graphics custom ordered on them instead. Talked to one guy in Lake Louise this Spring who had a pair and ordered them last Fall and they had the 2016 Bibby topsheet but were a Wildcat build. Think the OP has another similar pair of new Wildcat builds with 2016 Bibby topsheets.

Think the 2021 Wildcats will be very exciting as they should have weights more similar to the Bibby but with lighter tip/tail swing weight from the semi cap construction.

You can be sure about sending the semi-cap version to me for proper disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Moment went semi cap in 2014 or something like that, but only lost a significant amount of weight for the 17/18 or 18/19 models. The semi cap construction process was revised each year, the lighter skis only came after a specific revision.

My 17/18 pb&js still weigh a significant amount compared to the newer ones so I think it was 18/19 when the change happened. Also 90% sure luke made it clear in the moment thread.

Weigh the bibbys, if they weigh around 2300-2400g for the 190s you’re good.
    Thanks, I don't have anything to weigh mine but that's good to hear they went semi-cap in around 2014 but didn't lose the weight until later. The 2016/2017 I picked up hopefully are the heavier ones. For some reason blister didn't think they went semi-cap until late 2018. I get to Jackson Hole in 2 weeks and can finally try these bad boys out.