Hi top waterproofish shoes for flats

Increasingly finding myself riding Canuckistan / PNW trails. This Vaude https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...SABEgIxdvD_BwE gets solid reviews, and I could order a pair from Germany, but figured I’d see what people are using here.

Maybe these
    Name:  2A9FA943-64F3-4BCB-B71A-11E44EF50FA8.jpeg
Views: 493
Size:  20.4 KB
    Lange Podiums. Could be a little warm though.

While the Lange’s are most stylish, the Five Ten Freerider hightops are insulated and probably what yer after.
    https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-t...shoe/FT43.html

I definitely don’t want insulated like the 5tens. Or a super flexible casual shoe like the Lange. . Not looking for a highly lugged hiking boot either.

This topic seems to come up regularly on forums and the bike industry still hasn’t managed to offer up anything other than the Vaude. Guess I’ll order from Germany.

Those ones you found look like the call.

I'd be interested in a review. In the past I've just switched to time atacs and lugged shoes with cleats during the sloppy months because fivetens have no traction off the bike. It'd be nice to have a flats all year solution.

There's a new five ten model that looks like it could work https://m.pinkbike.com/news/first-lo...ail-shoes.html

Not sure on 'waterproofness' but the tight gaiter thing looks neat. And I've found waterproof socks a better solution than waterproof shoes anyway

Haha, look at the first PB comment there. I'd be happy if the sole stayed glued on for more than six months.

Those 5 tens are an open mesh design. Sorta like a river rafting shoe. But yeah interesting option for summer heat.

I have some Lake SPD shoes that are awesome for those November days when it’s 34 F and sleeting. If only they worked well on flats.

I've kind of given up on trying waterproof shoes to ride in. Everything I've tried doesn't seal the ankle well enough, so water runs down my leg and into the shoe, and then with a waterproof shoe it just pools there.

I just wear my normal Freerider Contacts and thick wool socks and deal.

^ exactly, it’s pointless trying to stop the water from getting in. It’ll come down into the shoe from your shins regardless of design.

More important to have something that stays warm when wet (high quality socks of various materials and thicknesses), and drains and dries quickly.

My shoes aren’t great at that but they still dry better than most other shoes ... I’m using the Adidas Trail Cross Terrex protect hi top. Have ridden it in Appalachian downpours and river crossings and it works fine (but temps were mild). In cold temps I try not to get too wet and wear very warm socks.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

i know what I’m looking for here. If you’re walking in 5” of slush or mud, then water resistant shoes are a plus. Trust me, I’ve got 30 yrs riding experience and a garage filled with bike gear. I didn’t request a waterproof shoe. The bike industry has some great SPD shoes in this category but not for flats, unfortunately. Rather than assume my vast product knowledge was perfect :grin: I was hoping there was a shoe that I’d overlooked.

I really like the new Terrex waterproof lightweight hi tops I got last spring. They're not insulated but down to the mid 20's I've been fine. They have a Continental sole with a mt bike tire tread pattern and they're reasonably sticky and stay on the pedals nicely.

I think the new Keen Venture would be pretty similar but the Targhee 3 leather should be the best with the winter compound sole.