Thread: Edge Burn?

Edge Burn?

Any thoughts on how to prevent? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191220_222636.jpeg 
Views:	200 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	307039

wax lots till it goes away
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

^^^This, assuming your bases are not edge-high
    Do you have a flat bar you can use to check for flat base?

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    You can iron in a hard cold temp wax just right along the edge; use the front edge of your iron about 1cm in from each side. Once a season is usually adequate unless you’re like buck hill nastar champion. And yes, wax more.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    ^^^This, assuming your bases are not edge-high
    Do you have a flat bar you can use to check for flat base?
    This.

Cold wax applied in a thin strip just along the base edge is the ticket to alleviate base burn. I used to prep a bunch of DH/SG skis with the coldest/hardest wax I could find (Swix Polar Extreme) along the edge every season and as needed throughout the year. You can scrape while still somewhat warm or it will literally chip off the ski. Without it, the bases would develop gutters like a bowling alley and the skis performed as if they were railed/ edge high. Edge high is the symptom not the underlying problem. The problem is manmade snow is comprised of very small crystals with very sharp spines and is very abrasive, it is removing base material along the edge.

I hadn't heard that trick with cold wax on the edges. I'm going to try it. My base edges get like that on the groomer skis, but never on the pow skis. Thanks for the tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I try to not ski that icy stuff and so I notice the OP is down east so that top pict looks like a very nice new base, what I do on a new ski is wax and let cool LOTS maybe a doz times, hot wax before work/after work/ after diner (you get the idea) without bothering to scrape between cooldowns for like a seasons worth of waxing in a couple of days
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thanks for the cold wax edge trick, and explanation. + 1 on only having this happen on my east coat boards which exclusively see man made snow.

I always thought it could have something to do with the edges overheating while waxing relative to the rest of the base and literally sealing the bases pores overtop the internal edge structure not allowing wax to properly absorb along the edges. I like your man made snow wear and tear explanation better

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Cold wax applied in a thin strip just along the base edge is the ticket to alleviate base burn. I used to prep a bunch of DH/SG skis with the coldest/hardest wax I could find (Swix Polar Extreme) along the edge every season and as needed throughout the year. You can scrape while still somewhat warm or it will literally chip off the ski. Without it, the bases would develop gutters like a bowling alley and the skis performed as if they were railed/ edge high. Edge high is the symptom not the underlying problem. The problem is manmade snow is comprised of very small crystals with very sharp spines and is very abrasive, it is removing base material along the edge.
    I tried that with swix blue, maybe I should have used green? There are groomer skis used primarily on manmade. I did prep them with 3 or 4 applications of swix red and finished with purple. Most of it came off with a steel brush after this photo. This is after a half day. I'm going to grab a true bar to double check.

Quote Originally Posted by PhishingME View Post
    maybe I should have used green? This is after a half day. I'm going to grab a true bar to double check.
    Singlecross has the trick if the skis are flat. By the looks of your bench, I suspect you have been waxing for a while. You need to use a very hard wax though, and green is not it. I use REX glide wax Extra Graphite. If I use Green it only lasts a couple hours on man made snow with a flat ski. An added benefit to owning a wax that hard is you will not bother with P-Tex repairs most of the time. I can fill a gouge with wax and gets weeks of use. This has only been an early season problem for me. As soon as natural snow comes the problem goes away and the hard wax only comes our for filling scrapes. Den

Stop turning?

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season