Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Not falling is also cheaper than a new pair of boots.

I've been thinking about trying something like that for the Scarpa Freedom RS. The sole blocks with tech toe fittings are ISO 9523 but actually have a pretty big flat section of the tread where it contacts the AFD, so they're probably better than average when it comes to releasing from a WTR binding, but its still rubber. Figured I could cut the rubber section out, make a block of hard plastic to replace it, and attach that with a combination of glue and the screws that mount the sole blocks to the boot.

Since the sole blocks are replaceable, worst case if I fuck it up is I buy new blocks. Well, I guess worst case is I explode my knees and die, but you know...

If I get around to doing it (I'd say that's a solid maybe) I'll post pics.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I've been thinking about trying something like that for the Scarpa Freedom RS. The sole blocks with tech toe fittings are ISO 9523 but actually have a pretty big flat section of the tread where it contacts the AFD, so they're probably better than average when it comes to releasing from a WTR binding, but its still rubber. Figured I could cut the rubber section out, make a block of hard plastic to replace it, and attach that with a combination of glue and the screws that mount the sole blocks to the boot.

Since the sole blocks are replaceable, worst case if I fuck it up is I buy new blocks. Well, I guess worst case is I explode my knees and die, but you know...

If I get around to doing it (I'd say that's a solid maybe) I'll post pics.
    Would love to see what you come up with. I'm going to sift through the 5+ other threads that touched on CAST/9523/Pivot over the past few years and will post back anything interesting here.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I've been thinking about trying something like that for the Scarpa Freedom RS.
    Just about every boot company makes a 130 flex boot with decent walk mode that's significantly lighter and doesn't feature a cavernous fit around the ankle these days. There's a reason Scarpa discontinued it. Most of them come with GripWalk and fit right into a current Pivot 18 GW, and Look will even indemnify the combination.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Just about every boot company makes a 130 flex boot with decent walk mode that's significantly lighter and doesn't feature a cavernous fit around the ankle these days. There's a reason Scarpa discontinued it.
    Not saying that the more modern sorts of crossover boots haven't improved, but the Scarpas have the distinct advantage of already being in my basement.

That said, I've also got Hawx 130 XTDs which are undeniably way lighter and walk much better. Hence the lack of urgency for fucking around with the Scarpas.

ETA: The pair of Pivots I'd theoretically be using with these have been Cast-ified with WTR AFDs so getting the geometry right should be pretty straightforward.

A customer of mine did this a number of years ago to his Dynafit boots;

Name:  Plates.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  Cut_out.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  31.7 KB

Name:  Glued.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  39.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    A customer of mine did this a number of years ago to his Dynafit boots;