Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pivots for ISO 9523 Sole

Really love Pivots but my boots have iso 9523 touring soles on them. Was trying to figure a way that I could ski pivots with these soles. Would swapping out the AFDs for an AFD that works with iso 9523 do the trick? Looks like CAST sells them? (see link below). Would this mess up ramp angle? Anyone have another trick up their sleeve or tried this?

https://casttouring.com/en-us/products/wtr-afd-pair/

The answer is unfortunately no. You need a sliding AFD with adjustable toe height to work with 9523 touring soles which the pivot doesn't have. That is WTR AFD not a true so 9523 touring AFD and is also not swappable to a standard pivot.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Really love Pivots but my boots have iso 9523 touring soles on them. Was trying to figure a way that I could ski pivots with these soles. Would swapping out the AFDs for an AFD that works with iso 9523 do the trick? Looks like CAST sells them? (see link below). Would this mess up ramp angle? Anyone have another trick up their sleeve or tried this?

https://casttouring.com/en-us/products/wtr-afd-pair/
    Those are WTR, which is not the same as ISO 9523. They might provide enough toe height, but the WTR sole has a smooth AFD pad. Look has never offered a toe that's compatible with 9523 soles (except the re-branded Dynafits) and is moving the other direction with the newer bindings (only Alpine and Gripwalk).

Well technically gripwalk and walk to ride fall under the iso 9523 standard so it kinda depends if he has one of those or not. The cast afds only work with a cast toe piece, look sells wtr and gripwalk afds for the p18, you could maybe get away with the old dual style toe in the wtr position since the afd is a sliding one, but no shop would test that for you and take on the liability.

Quote Originally Posted by madriverfreeride View Post
    Well technically gripwalk and walk to ride fall under the iso 9523 standard so it kinda depends if he has one of those or not. The cast afds only work with a cast toe piece, look sells wtr and gripwalk afds for the p18, you could maybe get away with the old dual style toe in the wtr position since the afd is a sliding one, but no shop would test that for you and take on the liability.
    Where can you purchase GW afd for pivot 18?

Quote Originally Posted by madriverfreeride View Post
    Well technically gripwalk and walk to ride fall under the iso 9523 standard
    They normally match the exterior shape of a 9523 sole, but both have smooth AFD patches where 9523 does not. Because the AFD patch on Gripwalk soles is recessed some and angled, the toe sits in the binding like an ISO 5355 toe, i.e. like it was 20mm tall.

So you shouldn't even be using CAST if you have a true iso 9523 sole? I have Salomon MTN Lab boots which I understood as iso 9523 soles (not wtr and not gripwalk) but now I'm not so sure

So you shouldn't even be using CAST if you have a true iso 9523 sole? I have Salomon MTN Lab boots which I understood as iso 9523 soles (not wtr and not gripwalk) but now I'm not so sure
    You are correct about "true" 9523 soles. They are not wtr and not gripwalk compatible if there's no smooth plastic area where the AFD is contacted.

Yes, CAST AFDs come in only 3 types: Alpine, WTR, and Gripwalk (assuming the still do WTR).

Of course, this is TGR, and kids do the darndest things around these parts ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    Go to your shop. I just got 4 pair for upgrades.

So what alpine bindings are compatible with "true" iso 9523 soles? Or still open to "hacking" pivots to accept 9523 soles

So what alpine bindings are compatible with "true" iso 9523 soles?
    Salomon Warden, Tyrolia Attack AT, Griffon/Jester SoleID

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    I've got one pair left in stock with a few more coming end January. It's part number FCIF010 if you ask your local shop.

Expect a Look MNC alpine binding for 21/22 season - you heard it hear first!

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    I've got one pair left in stock with a few more coming end January. It's part number FCIF010 if you ask your local shop.

Awesome. Pivot style or something completely different?

I have the old Pivot 14 (pre Dual/GW). Can the new Pivot 18 afd for GW be used with this binder as well or is there another solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudis View Post
    I have the old Pivot 14 (pre Dual/GW). Can the new Pivot 18 afd for GW be used with this binder as well or is there another solution?
    The 14 plastic toe is very different from the 18 metal toe so no, you can't do that. However, you can get a pair of alpine/GW for the 14 toes as well - it's part no. FCHF004. It fits all of the P12/14, SPX & NX 'full action' toes. Your local Look/Rossi dealer can get them for you but if you get stuck I've got a couple of pairs left.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    At that moment there will be another future-revolutionary-type of sole that won't be compatible with mnc

Pivots for ISO 9523 Sole

So what alpine bindings are compatible with "true" iso 9523 soles? Or still open to "hacking" pivots to accept 9523 soles

You can’t hack the pivot for the boot, unless you can retrofit a sliding AFD. You’d have to hack the boot sole instead, to remove or flatten the tread, so it would slide on the AFD.

You could maybe cut a chunk of boot sole off another boot, grind down the tread on the boot, apply some moldable epoxy and attach the toe sole plate with some screws. I think it’s doable.

If you try to ski a non sliding AFD with a treaded boot sole, the boot sole will grab the AFD and you will get wrecked.

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    If you try to ski a non sliding AFD with a treaded boot sole, the boot sole will grab the AFD and you will get wrecked.
    To be fair, hundreds of pro patrollers and race coaches used touring soles with non-sliding AFD's for years, mostly Salomon 9xx and STH models, and not all of them got wrecked. Just try not to fall with your weight forward expecting a consistent lateral release. There is a WTR AFD for the Pivot 18 (if you can find one) that will get you the required toe height but it still doesn't slide - no shop will say it's OK with an ISO 9523 sole but some people may be willing to roll the dice.

Okay. I stand corrected. Go ahead and do it. Maybe you won’t get wrecked.

I have some sliding AFDs that will go on Pivot 14s, if that what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I have some sliding AFDs that will go on Pivot 14s, if that what you want.
    How's that work? I didn't think pivot made sliding AFDs? Or would this be a Jerry-rig situation?

How's that work? I didn't think pivot made sliding AFDs? Or would this be a Jerry-rig situation?
    Remove the P14 baseplate, and attache the sliding AFD from an older PX/Axial toe. Its makes the P14 toe 2mm closer to the top of the ski, and makes the delta the same as a P18.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3493.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	423.2 KB 
ID:	308125Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3494.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	379.2 KB 
ID:	308126

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Remove the P14 baseplate, and attache the sliding AFD from an older PX/Axial toe. Its makes the P14 toe 2mm closer to the top of the ski, and makes the delta the same as a P18.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3493.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	423.2 KB 
ID:	308125Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3494.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	379.2 KB 
ID:	308126
    Perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for.

If you have single pivot toe (15/18) just jam the boot in there and crank the forward pressure. Will it release smoothly and consistently? Nope. Will it ski ok? Yup.

Reviving this thread in time for CAST season.

I'm trying to not buy a hybrid boot just so I can tour with CASTs.*

Seeking your best non-invasive hacks for making the front of the sole of an ISO 9523 boot slidy like the sole plate of an ISO 5355 boot.

I have Salomon S/Lab MTNs and WTR AFDs.

My first possibly stupid idea is food grade silicone spray (supposedly good for rubber) applied carefully when I transition.

Thanks.

*Yeah, I realize the price of another pair of boots is a lot cheaper than knee surgery and being laid up in bed, etc. etc.