Thread: Spout Springs

Spout Springs

Tamarack Entertainment raising funds to buy Spout Springs Ski Area

WESTON — Rumors of Spout Springs Ski Area reopening may prove true as soon as 2020, as part of a bigger plan to bring more recreation amenities to the Tollgate area.

Rendal Williams, Tamarack Entertainment Group chief executive officer, said getting the downhill ski area operating is part of a bigger plan of “bringing the whole mountain back to life.”

Two years ago, Williams said he bought the Alpine Outpost on the Tollgate Highway between Weston and Elgin — a store, bakery, cafe and bed-and-breakfast — and has a vision of supported year-round recreation from sledding, skiing and snowmobiling in the winter to mountain biking in the summer. In the short term, he said he’s raising money to get at least part of Spout Springs operational soon.

“We’re hoping we’ll be able to get the funding in place in order to offer some sledding and tubing and open a restaurant and a bar this winter,” Williams said.

By the first of the year, Williams said he will have snowmobiles to rent.

In time, besides getting Spout Springs open, Williams said he’d like to have a skating rink and host concerts. He said he is getting a positive response from people about the endeavor to make the Tollgate area more of a destination resort — possibly modeled on Leavenworth, Washington.

Williams said he is in negotiations with Spout Springs’ current owner John Murray of Portland, who was reported in the East Oregonian as having the ski area for sale for $1.25 million in 2017.

Williams said he was looking into raising the money primarily through private investors. According to information found on the Securities and Exchange Commission’s database, Tamarack Entertainment in June filed a Form D, an SEC form used to file a notice of an exempt offering of securities.

Spout Springs Ski Area is located on Highway 204 between Weston and Elgin. The resort's owners announced last winter that it would reopen after a two-year hiatus, but later said it would remain closed.

According to the ski area’s website, the ski resort first opened in the late 1920s. Since then it has played host to competitions hosted by the Blue Mountain Ski Club, served as the Nordic training center for the United State Olympic team and Norwegian jump team in the 1950s and 1960s, and provided a place for the U.S. Forest Service to hold a ski school.

Editor's note: This story has been updated to reflect that Spout Springs was not open last winter.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I skinned it a few years ago after a weekend at Anthony Lakes. Cool throwback spot in the middle of nowhere at a low elevation that gets a surprising amount of snow. Not exciting by any means, but I bet it's a gem for the poeple who live there, and the kind of stuck in amber sort of place more skiers should visit.

Spout Springs

Surely at $1.25M, some dentist could secure it as a personal skinning/skiing property

Cool. I hope it happens.

After he listed the property for $1.25M, one of the lifts was severely damaged, so I expect he'd take less.

We have done skin laps there en route to/from the Wallowa huts. I've never ridden the lifts. It's in a cool spot.

For the elevation they do get their share of snow.

This is my friend's cabin down the road at Tollgate:

Spring:

Attachment 306932

Winter:

Name:  IMG_2081(1).jpeg
Views: 745
Size:  54.8 KB
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Still snowing! Been a crazy Spring in SE WA/NE OR

Name:  SS050722.png
Views: 570
Size:  216.3 KB

Good for the water tables.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

There is some steep terrain on the backside. I skied it once. It was a bitch to wallow back up that deep, steep slope. Passed an elk track that looked like they were swimming in the deep snow. The area proper only has around 500 feet of vert.

Quote Originally Posted by snojones View Post
    There is some steep terrain on the backside. I skied it once. It was a bitch to wallow back up that deep, steep slope. Passed an elk track that looked like they were swimming in the deep snow. The area proper only has around 500 feet of vert.
    It’s for sale

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

U.S. Forest Service - Umatilla National Forest

·
    The Umatilla National Forest is seeking proposals from interested entities to operate and manage the Spout Springs Ski Area, located near Tollgate at milepost 22 along State Highway 204 between Weston and Elgin. Responses received will help Forest staff consider options to ultimately reopen the ski area to the public.
    The Forest is looking for an operator who will provide professional management and operational oversight at Spout Springs Ski Area. The operator will be responsible for all aspects of resort management, including but not limited to hiring staff and ski patrol, inspection and maintenance of chairlifts, maintenance of groomer fleet, bar and restaurant operation, facility upkeep, and maintenance tasks.

Additional information about the requirements for the RFEI submission, including instructions, is available on the Forest website.

For more information visit https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/umatilla/news-events/...

I got my Mega Million ticket.
    "Let's be careful out there."

powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.