Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,381

    Need a new productive hobby

    While I don't take for granted my talents in posting spectacular pictures of naked women in the pr, that hardly serves as a productive hobby. Ya know, something that I can have my wife mention in a eulogy.

    So what's your hobby? The thing that you can't wait to do get "back to" when you have free time. The thing you stand back and say I'm proud of that.

    Some rules:

    - I don't have access to tons of physical resources. I live in an apartment M-F for work. Small place. Lots of time in the evenings.
    - I want this to be a long term project with defined goals that can benefit from chipping away. Did I mention I've got lots of time?
    - This needs to benefit others (wife, kids, or an organization) rather than just occupying my attention. Despite that, I'm not driven by a particular cause.
    - The idea of a monetary project sounds appealing to me. I don't know what that means, fyi. Maybe learn how to set up a trust or some kind of fund and start with a few thousand dollars just to learn the ropes? In my mind the funds are more interesting than the organization that would benefit. Build a sustainable resource.
    - That's top of mind, but I'm open to all sorts of ideas.

    Is this the kind of shit life coaches consult on? If so, that's pretty sad/rad/bad.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    on the banks of Fish Creek
    Posts
    1,893
    Have you tried skiing?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,381
    Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Have you tried skiing?
    My apartment is in New Jersey. When spring summer comes, I will be on my bike after work ... a lot.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    19,346
    Volunteer, meals on wheels, or the like?

    Create a book or website or something that tells your story to your kids. You’ve presumably lived a long time and can’t possibly share all of your experiences with them or their kids when they come along.

    My grandmother did this and it was fascinating for us grandkids to learn all about her 90+ years on the planet; big things and small, what happened in the world each year of her life and how she perceived it, relationships, hardships, successes... it was awesome.
    I still call it The Jake.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SE USA
    Posts
    2,186
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Did I mention I've got lots of time?
    All I can say is wow. I haven't had much of any time since about 1995. May change in the comming year...
    "Can't you see..."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9,786
    The world is your oyster here but we really need more specifics on what skill sets you already possess. One thing I would definitely not do is try to make skis, either on your own or by subcontracting through an independent mfgr.

    Have you considered breeding clownfish?
    https://www.ocellarisclownfish.com/h...eed-clownfish/
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    19,346
    Have you considered the benefits of investing in fractional ownership vacation property?
    I still call it The Jake.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    写道
    Posts
    11,508
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post

    - I don't have access to tons of physical resources.
    Does this rile out furious masturbation?

    Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    ˇÓrale, vato!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,351
    Run for president. How bad could you possibly be?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,163
    I used to volunteer at a community/campus radio station here in MTL. CKUT 90.3 (Radio McGill). Had a radio show, did workshops on how to do radio shows, record and mix music, etc. Spent time organizing music in their incredible record library, helped with organizing events. Met lots of cool people. Most towns have a community radio station that are looking for volunteers. If you like music, or radio, or techy stuff like audio equipment, that's a good place to contribute time and most community radio stations are looking for volunteers (at least that is my experience in Canada).

    For me the appeal was being "on the air" rather than doing some internet podcast or something running through interweb tubes.

    I had to quit because job got real and super busy and all free time was spent boardin, but if I was ever bored and looking for something to do I would go back to Radio. I loved it.
    24° 06°

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9,786
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Have you considered the benefits of investing in fractional ownership vacation property?
    Once Mountain Creek comes out of bankruptcy things should be coming up for sale.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    9,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Does this rile out furious masturbation?

    Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Definitely worth looking into.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,381
    If a "spank bank" were a real thing, my coffers would be full. Part of my motive here is to make sure my cack doesn't fall off due to overuse.

    IRL I keep tabs on the oncology drug development field for my employer (major pharma). I definitely have a passion for helping patients and oncologists know about the latest advances/opportunities through approvals and trials. I already do this for a few friends and relatives. But each action is not an investment in the next which is the whole point here. Maybe build an online association or network of similarly skilled pros that could be anonymously assigned to patient advocacy cases (thinking out loud). No charge. What kind of IT expertise is needed to build the online piece?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    47,970
    Could you take what you do for your job and do a blog for lay people or would NDA's be a problem? Certainly there's millions of people with a stake in knowing what's out there and what's coming down the pipeline in that field.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,381
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Could you take what you do for your job and do a blog for lay people or would NDA's be a problem? Certainly there's millions of people with a stake in knowing what's out there and what's coming down the pipeline in that field.
    NDA's wouldn't be a problem. But, the analysis really has to be case-by-case because there's too much to cover and so much variability between patients.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,163
    I found working with kids personal and rewarding.

    One time, I mentored a young man coming out of the Youth Authority and tried to keep him straight.

    Another time, I coached my daughter’s 6th grade hoops team. (I also got to work out a little this way)

    You may want something bigger/more structural. I found the personal touch worked for me...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2,183
    I had ideas of painting, woodwork, skiing, hobby like things. wasnt expecting a second job. is it like Deer elk and altitude? At some monetary elevation jobs become hobby?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,451
    Isn't there a French word for an apartment you keep closer to work and as a fuck pad? I'm pretty sure there is.
    I'm saying you need a girlfriend.
    Or, maybe, I don't know, whittling.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    30,564
    Dentistry?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    19,021
    Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    I used to volunteer at a community/campus radio station here in MTL. CKUT 90.3 (Radio McGill). Had a radio show, did workshops on how to do radio shows, record and mix music, etc. Spent time organizing music in their incredible record library, helped with organizing events. Met lots of cool people. Most towns have a community radio station that are looking for volunteers. If you like music, or radio, or techy stuff like audio equipment, that's a good place to contribute time and most community radio stations are looking for volunteers (at least that is my experience in Canada).

    For me the appeal was being "on the air" rather than doing some internet podcast or something running through interweb tubes.

    I had to quit because job got real and super busy and all free time was spent boardin, but if I was ever bored and looking for something to do I would go back to Radio. I loved it.
    we have an ecclectic community radio station based in a 100 yr old train lounge car, CICK ... its totally sick man
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    19,346
    Pied a terre.
    I still call it The Jake.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    19,021
    i remember that feeling when cutting ski run, I just couldn't wait to get out there crank that saw up and start falling trees
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Loveland, Chair 9.
    Posts
    4,257
    woodcarving.

    you can do it while watching television or listening to musac, you get really good with knives and you might be able to sell it.
    Eat em up Houston Cougars !

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Bozone
    Posts
    1,066
    Disappearing people at the employ of certain organizations can be a very lucrative pastime.

    Anyone can drop the hammer on some fuck, but making people disappear? That's where the money and skill is, especially in this age of security cameras everywhere.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    If a "spank bank" were a real thing, my coffers would be full. Part of my motive here is to make sure my cack doesn't fall off due to overuse.

    IRL I keep tabs on the oncology drug development field for my employer (major pharma). I definitely have a passion for helping patients and oncologists know about the latest advances/opportunities through approvals and trials. I already do this for a few friends and relatives. But each action is not an investment in the next which is the whole point here. Maybe build an online association or network of similarly skilled pros that could be anonymously assigned to patient advocacy cases (thinking out loud). No charge. What kind of IT expertise is needed to build the online piece?
    We are working on a nonprofit to help cancer patients and their families. Would love to hook up and talk about possibilities.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •