Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Roomiest Sleeping Bag?

Lately, my trips out overnight with a sleeping bag have been on the sleepless side. I feel like I get claustrophobic zipping up inside the bag and being unable to move. Does anyone have some suggestions for a more spacious bag to sleep in?

One of my bags is a nemo nocturne it has an hourglass shape

https://www.rei.com/product/847404/n...5-sleeping-bag

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

nemo spoon shape is a good choice - the disco 15 is a nice choice for 3 season use.

check out certain big agnes bags- they have a super wide profile but also forgo insulation underneath to mate with a sleeping pad in the sleeve. maintains similar weight to other comparable temp bags but much roomier.

Roomiest Sleeping Bag?

I have a 15 degree REI bag that is voluminous as fuck.

It’s blue.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Lots of options out there for "semirectangular" bags.

Zip one of these into your bag. I have one I'll send for shipping and a six pack.

Not enough info. Mummy, rectangular or sleeping quilt? A wide sleeping quilt will give you the most room pound-for-pound and IMO is the most comfortable option for backpacking. OTOH, a sleeping quilt is not the best choice for temps below 15F.

If a quilt checks your poxes, check out the wide sleeping quilts from Enlightened Equipment.

Montbel bags have elastic sawn in the bag so while it's very spacious, it also hugs you so you don't have to hear a whole bunch of airspace.
    Really comfortable

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

I'm not very big; I've been steered away from Big Agnes bags because they're high-volume.

I like the idea of the sleeping quilt. I wonder if the straps it attaches to with the sleeping pad can get annoying to sleep on in the night though? Any experience with that?

I can’t stand feeling confined. These bags are amazing.

https://taigaworks.com/collections/s...=4978376015903
    Being grown-up sucks!

Montbel bags are wide and then have a spiral elastic that hugs the body and eliminates excess air that needs to be warned up.

Very comfortable if you don't like tight bags

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

I've got a Sweetie Pie sleeping bag doubler I'd sell for cheap - https://backpackinglight.com/00054-2/

We have a two person quilt from Enlightenment equipment.

It fucking rules. Very spacious.

I have really broad shoulders and have the Megalite for summer mountain hiking and the Kodiak for winter and car camping from Western Mountaineering. Love both of them for their girth and warmth.

Another vote for the Nemo Disco - lightweight and roomy AF.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post

i like our enlightened equipment accomplice so much that i now use it as my main summer mountaineering sleeping bag with other partners. the thing is the bee's knees. super warm and like 31 oz or something crazy, for a 20 degree bag for two.

Roomiest Sleeping Bag?

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post

Thirded! My wife and I both have a double quilt now since they’re so light and pack down really small. I’ll never go back to mummy again.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I have really broad shoulders and have the Megalite for summer mountain hiking and the Kodiak for winter and car camping from Western Mountaineering. Love both of them for their girth and warmth.

Thanks for the great lead. Looks like they have choices to suit anyone, w (some) models that come in 6', 6' 6", and 7' lengths.
    Last edited by Hopeless Sinner; 11-15-2021 at 08:58 PM.

I have an Enlightened Equipment 20F down quilt, I love it. While no bag / quilt is going to be truly comfortable at the max rating without layers, it's been plenty warm for me on frosty nights. It can strap under your pad and gives a ton of freedom of movement - they do wide sizes as well for even more space.

If you and a partner each have one they can be linked together to make a single larger quilt as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I have an Enlightened Equipment 20F down quilt, I love it. While no bag / quilt is going to be truly comfortable at the max rating without layers, it's been plenty warm for me on frosty nights. It can strap under your pad and gives a ton of freedom of movement - they do wide sizes as well for even more space.

If you and a partner each have one they can be linked together to make a single larger quilt as well.
    How do you quilt guys keep draft out and keep it from shifting during the night? I have a sea to summit ember and haven’t been able to jive with it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    How do you quilt guys keep draft out and keep it from shifting during the night? I have a sea to summit ember and haven’t been able to jive with it so far.
    Never used a quilt, interested in hearing the answer to this though.

EE quilts come with a nifty clip and elastic system that goes around your pad, and also have a good advice piece as to suggested width. I’m a convert, I don’t see lying for or carrying the weight of insulation that just gets contested by body weight.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Also have an Enlightened Equipment 20F down quilt. It comes with straps to go under your sleeping pad as well as snaps up near the neck area. Personally I have no issues with it moving around or drafts but it is definitely a YMMV thing. I would not get a 0 degree quilt or anything serious for winter camping but for 3 seasons at all elevations its perfect. I have spent a few 20ish degree nights in one and been comfortable wearing a puffy with hood (no hood built into quilt).

I have the "Wide" quilt which makes it even more luxurious.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    nemo spoon shape is a good choice - the disco 15 is a nice choice for 3 season use.
    Seconded; great bags, warm and cozy. I’m 6’, 200#, and I don’t feel cramped.