Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    Yes. It’s actually a cutout for the femoral component that has a recess in it that the post essentially sits in.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Good to hear, keep it up!
    In other good news, in 5 weeks I have gone from being convinced in needing a replacement to confidence that I don’t. I have basically zero pain anymore, and I believe it is in no small part to strength training. I’ll need it sometime down the line, but not yet.
    Congrats.
    After getting the hardwear out in advance of the replacement last year, I felt nearly 100% better and canceled my replacement. This year after making the appointment, I again felt better. But this year it was enough better that I wouldn't have made the appointment, but not good enough to cancel it. I definitely had my doubts going into surgery. But being healthy and active right up until the day of surgery I think is a big factor in my quick recovery. If you don't do it this year, you'll just be a year older when you do.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

True, but my surgeon (who I completely trust) basically said it would have to be somewhat debilitating or catastrophic for him to do it. He wouldn’t do it for a financial reason (we already met our deductible) either.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Good to hear, keep it up!
    In other good news, in 5 weeks I have gone from being convinced in needing a replacement to confidence that I don’t. I have basically zero pain anymore, and I believe it is in no small part to strength training. I’ll need it sometime down the line, but not yet.
    That's great to hear. Liz's other knee is doing much better since she's not constantly favoring it.

True, but my surgeon (who I completely trust) basically said it would have to be somewhat debilitating or catastrophic for him to do it. He wouldn’t do it for a financial reason (we already met our deductible) either.
    That's totally different from mine, who said when it starts to affect my quality of life

Well that’s the thing, everything seems to be fine right now. I didn’t feel like exaggerating and going through a traumatic surgery in order to save a few thousand bucks. I am currently riding stronger than ever with no pain. Ski season might tell a different story, though.

I was riding as strong as I ever was. Climbing strong too. Walking was the problem. My skiing suffered in the latter half of the year. I did something to it leaving work on the ice in February and it never recovered. I wonder if that relates to the central (or maybe it's supposed to be chondral) defect he mentioned or perhaps the stretched PCL which is more how it felt at the time.
    good news though is that I'm already riding fairly strong again. Did Corral Loop today. It was by more than a little my slowest time but thats perfectly fine.

Great news powdork

Total Knee Replacement, Anyone?

Update. Smoke has gotten out of hand in Tahoe. Even worse, all forest service lands are closed. My back yard where I walk or ride with the dogs every day is FS land. Most evrything in tahoe is except state land and they HATE dogs.
    Day 37- Hopped in the car and headed east. Made an audible after Ely to head to the Medicine Bow forest in SE wyoming since they had been lit up pretty good by the radar the last two days, and the area looked super cool. Most importantly, it looked like I might be able to walk a short distance to skiable snow.
    Day 38- Skied the minimun 10 turns on 2 separate patches. 1 was adjacent to the car but the second involved a techical talus walk in ski boots with a pack and skis. About 1 mile round trip. Previous ski day was 8/1 so i didn't miss a month.
    Day 39- Mountain biked in the morning on Howelson Mountain in Steamboat. Ended up coming down Independence Pass and saw some roadside boulders so I got my first climbing in.
    Spent the next three days climbing and biking and everything isn't near 100% yet, but it all works better than before* and it is exciting to see where this is going to go.

*I don't mean that I'm climbing, sking, or biking (or definitely walking distances) better yet than prior to the surgery. But I am doing them at a good and improving level. And more importantly I'm doing them correctly, without favoring the leg and with a proper stance and more power for skiing, proper gait for walking, and more flexion and power for climbing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4060.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	340511

Name:	3646A146-0AE8-47DE-8127-FD0ED8DDE2B8.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1,016.2 KB 
ID:	340512

Name:	GPTempDownload.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	833.5 KB 
ID:	340513

Views:	66 
Size:	789.7 KB 
ID:	340514

Views:	68 
Size:	840.5 KB 
ID:	340515

Wouldnt have imagined you'd be skiing already. Major success. I think the doggos are psyched for you too

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

To be honest, After 6 days on the road they were super excited to be back to the point it made me feel a little bad. To be fair we spent a bit of time in Utah and Nevada and combined they're just one big cactus

Had a discussion with a knee surgeon last week.

He said roughly 30% of people who had knee replacement are not satisfied.

Then " as a skier, guess where you would be in terms of satisfaction"

I don't need one, but this certainly didn't sound good at all.

I have a meniscus tear and considering surgery. He said, don't do it, as it will bring you closer to needing a new knee.

Any skiers that are dissatisfied with their new knee?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Ecstatic about my new knee.
    Couldn’t be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I have a meniscus tear and considering surgery. He said, don't do it, as it will bring you closer to needing a new knee.

AC hasn't skied yet but is very satisfied so far. I would bet that a sizeable percentage of that 30% don't take PT seriously and do what's necessary to achieve the best possible outcome, and/or are unhealthy people who don't take care of themselves in general. That said, don't get a TKR unless you really need one, i.e. Stage 4 bone-on-bone osteoarthritis and/or pain so severe that overcompensating is starting to create problems on the opposite side.

Surgery for chronic degenerative meniscus issues has been shown to be ineffective. Repair of acute tears often has positive outcomes, but it depends on the nature of the tear and the degree to which it's causing you problems. I'd consider surgery if I had a tear that causes frequent mechanical locking and the goal is to reattach the flap. If they're just going to remove a flap that causes minor pain without locking, etc. it's probably not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    AC hasn't skied yet but is very satisfied so far. I would bet that a sizeable percentage of that 30% don't take PT seriously and do what's necessary to achieve the best possible outcome, and/or are unhealthy people who don't take care of themselves in general. That said, don't get a TKR unless you really need one, i.e. Stage 4 bone-on-bone osteoarthritis and/or pain so severe that overcompensating is starting to create problems on the opposite side.

Surgery for chronic degenerative meniscus issues has been shown to be ineffective. Repair of acute tears often has positive outcomes, but it depends on the nature of the tear and the degree to which it's causing you problems. I'd consider surgery if I had a tear that causes frequent mechanical locking and the goal is to reattach the flap. If they're just going to remove a flap that causes minor pain without locking, etc. it's probably not worth it.
    THIS!
    I'm already 20 degrees more flexion than before surgery and can straighten all the way, definitely couldn't do that before.
    I wish I could bend a bit more, but considering I had hardly and range of motion and constant horrible pain this new knee is 1000% worth it at 40 years old.

That being said again, don't do it unless you absolutely have to and have exhausted all other efforts. The arthritis in mine was beyond any repair, PT or anything any VERY good doctor could help with.
    you sketchy character, you

I gotta call BS on that (not you, but the surgeon's statistic). I was a bit different in that I could do everything with a bit of pain and a lot of Ibuprofen, but i could see it was getting worse and had some scary episodes. Not being satisfied wasn't even really one of the risks my surgeon discussed with me. Given that, I am so far extremely satisfied. Most people that get their knees replaced are already experiencing major difficulties in everyday activities and would likely be even more satisfied.

Thanks.

My sample size is only about 4 people, but they have all been very satisfied. I know 2 others that had hips done and they say the same.

Also. 9 weeks yesterday. PT in the morning. 1400' climb on the MtB after that. And my first shift back at work. 6 hours on my feet. The knee was tired at the end but other than that fine. The only thing I still feel today is my glutes from the PT.

Discussed this with my physical therapist this morning and he put the number of dissatisfied at roughly 5%. I would maybe consider a different surgeon. ;-)

Got in my first crash yesterday. Went over the bars into a dry creek bed pretty much coming down on the knee but at a good angle and with pads on. Seems fine.

I'll be the devil's advocate, Rod. After two meniscus surgeries and having had 40-60% removed, I was basically crippled because it was my medial meniscus and the fact that I was bowlegged exacerbated a knee joint that was not functioning correctly. Doc starts talking new knee and I'm like 'no more surgery until I absolutely need it.' Stem cells I received regrew enough of that meniscus for my knee to still be functioning 10 years later. I don't see a TKR as a whimsical decision cause if it does come out fucked up, it's gonna mean another surgery. I had a friend whose TKR totally went south for him. That might have influenced my decision to forestall my own TKR .

My physiatrist does a lot of regenexx (tm) stem cell treatments, apparently with good success. For my medial meniscus, he never brought it up, discouraged surgery, and I’ve been doing fine without after PT and strength training. He also was ready to share the recent literature to support no surgery for my issue (after it was recommended by a PT). My physiatrist is an athlete and skier who, I believe, grew up in Olympic Valley. I think his father was one of the physicians there.

Only had to drive 1,000 miles (one way) for shitty October turns. Sad part is if I could enter Canada I could have driven another 80 and had great conditions

Views:	82 
Size:	310.0 KB 
ID:	343978

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Hey Wydaho folks. Any recommendatins for a TKR doc? Are there good surgeons in the area, or better to go to SLC? Thanks. I've been trying to hold off a TKR since 2009 and think it is time. I've had several stem cell treatments that helped but I can't do a lot of things I want to do and am pretty limited. I'd appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

So I broke my leg and tore my meniscus and sprained my ankle last February. I use mid Vermont ortho. I have been seen twice for my meniscus since my original appt back in the mid summer. Boynton repaired my MCL in 2005 in the same knee. There are no better doctors in the country then in that facility when it comes to skiing.

They essentially left the decision on what to do with my meniscus up to me, they could operate and clean it up, or I was told to take PT seriously.

I chose the later. Last February when I broke my leg, I had been losing weight but I got real serious when I got walking again. I am now 176 pounds and in the best shape of my life, pre leg break I was 215. Pre weight loss I was 235 and according to the ex-General prac I was “fat fit” (moron, that’s a lie). I grew up as an academy racer so I was in the gym a lot.

IRIPONSNOW helped me get my PT correct, that’s what he does for a living. And I’m not gonna lie, best $$ I’ve ever spent for an appt and it didn’t break the bank.

I have skied 30 days so far this year, most days for 5 hours or more. I ski with a sleeve brace, more as a mental precaution and I’m getting close to leaving it at home, and I have had to ice one day and that was the other day after a 9.5 hour ski day that ended with a tour to the good just before dark.

After talking to a bunch of people and going through this, it’s the best outcome for me. I was really hesitant for the knife and I didn’t feel it was necessary.

I think that being real with myself about my physical health made a big difference. Realizing that fat fit isn’t real, and that my joints can’t take extra strain and then a beating from skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    Hey Wydaho folks. Any recommendatins for a TKR doc? Are there good surgeons in the area, or better to go to SLC? Thanks. I've been trying to hold off a TKR since 2009 and think it is time. I've had several stem cell treatments that helped but I can't do a lot of things I want to do and am pretty limited. I'd appreciate any advice anyone can offer.
    Yes, I highly recommend Kevin Lee in Rexburg. I'll pm you my number and we can have a conversation. Got mine done last April during quarantine, haha.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk