Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Hertel Hot Sauce . . . doesn’t last very long.
    That is my experience

I'm a huge proponent of Phantom and this:
    https://www.mountainflowecowax.com/

i gave a ski tech $10 cash 5 years ago for a big block of white wax. Seems to work well enough, and i still have another seasons worth left.

Id suggest you go to your local shop with $20 cash, go to the back where the tech is, show him the 20 and ask for a big block of wax.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Works for me in the PNW - LF8 is my mainstay, sometimes mixed 2/1 or 3/1 with LF7. Definitely outrun my friends using CH, now trying to buy up the last of the 8-chain LF wax before there's no more available . . .
    so how exactly would one decipher if the LF8/LF7 are of the 8-chain vs 6-chain variety. or are you refering to the super expensive HF stuff going bye bye?

I'm a fan of One Ball Jay X-wax in pink but I'm from Baker and it rains here, a lot. I'm sure there's another 1BJ that's suitable as an all-temp and choices for colder temps as well.

You don't say when you are going to these places, but Banff in mid-winter and Japan in January (especially if Hokkaido) you will likely want something colder than most "all-temp" waxes . . .
    Think a two week road trio to Jackson and SLC end fo January too. want to get somewhere else in too

Phantom is ideal for this, if a bit expensive and a hassle to apply. Any wax you apply will likely be gone in 3-5 days anyway, but the worst it can get with Phantomed bases is still pretty damn good.
    my BG are 4 years old now so dunno if they are past doing that.

My Kartels are in very good condition for 2 years old so maybe them.

Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    so how exactly would one decipher if the LF8/LF7 are of the 8-chain vs 6-chain variety. or are you refering to the super expensive HF stuff going bye bye?
    Hi Slackey. Exports of all the 8-chain fluorinated waxes were halted last spring; I'm trying to buy up what's left in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_donald View Post
    BG are 4 years old now so dunno if they are past doing that. My Kartels are in very good condition for 2 years old so maybe them.
    Age of the base material doesn't matter, but they need to be clean from wax and other contamination (base cleaner) and should probably get a stone grind before you treat them. Find a shop with a DPS cure station rather than trying to do it yourself (especially in Scotland). The new formula (3.0) is only one part, not two, and the quoted time of 20 minutes to cure is generally pretty accurate.

Age of the base material doesn't matter, but they need to be clean from wax and other contamination (base cleaner) and should probably get a stone grind before you treat them. Find a shop with a DPS cure station rather than trying to do it yourself (especially in Scotland). The new formula (3.0) is only one part, not two, and the quoted time of 20 minutes to cure is generally pretty accurate.
    In Houton now, hence getting the Butta Wax problem. As far as I know there is only two shops here to do skis and don't really trust them.

looked at the wax on sale and it was very very limited.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_donald View Post
    In Houton now, hence getting the Butta Wax problem. As far as I know there is only two shops here to do skis and don't really trust them.
    Houston, Texas? Don't let anyone in Texas touch your skis.

Exactly.

Lucky it is a short flight away from lots of ski places.

Phantom is ideal for this, if a bit expensive and a hassle to apply. Any wax you apply will likely be gone in 3-5 days anyway, but the worst it can get with Phantomed bases is still pretty damn good.
    Is there any way to tell if a base has been Phantomed?

Say you buy skis from a mag, and they claim to be treated,
    how will you really know?

Does it even matter what wax you use or what your bases look like on Powder days?
    Doesn't the nature of big flakes make it all moot?

Does ski wax actually protect them from gamma irradiation? Or is it all hype about 'dry' ski bases?
    [KURTZ] Hinterstoisser, you heavy bastard.
    [HINTERSTOISSER] You need to do more push-ups, Kurtz.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Is there any way to tell if a base has been Phantomed?
    Not that I know of. Probably you could examine a piece of the base with an electron microscope if you knew what to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Does it even matter what wax you use or what your bases look like on Powder days?
    On pow days, you invariably get more fresh tracks if you can beat the hordes across the flats and on the traverses . . .

Hertels or, if on the hill or on a trip, Fast Stik.

THIS X 10
    watch out for snakes

Anyone recall the name of the food additive that Clark Griswold used on the saucer? I think that would be what you're looking for.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

LOL, Funny topic