Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cheap winter tires: GT Champiro - anyone have?

Anyone here using GT Champiro winter tires? Stumbled across them searching for a deal on Discount Tire website, and they have them in the size my truck uses, load range E, for $86 each. Plus $50 rebate off four.

Old beater truck, with partially worn Cooper ATPs that seem to have a hard rubber compound, so any winter tire would be an improvement. Most winter tires in this truck size are $150 each or more. Don't really want to dump a bunch into a winter set on this truck.

Basically thinking: how bad could they be? Probably still way better than what's on there now.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Anyone here using GT Champiro winter tires? Stumbled across them searching for a deal on Discount Tire website, and they have them in the size my truck uses, load range E, for $86 each. Plus $50 rebate off four.

Old beater truck, with partially worn Cooper ATPs that seem to have a hard rubber compound, so any winter tire would be an improvement. Most winter tires in this truck size are $150 each or more. Don't really want to dump a bunch into a winter set on this truck.

Basically thinking: how bad could they be? Probably still way better than what's on there now.
    They're made by Giti Tire, a Singapore Co. They're a big company. I wouldn't hesitate putting them on a nice truck, let alone a beater.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I bought a set last year to replace my Blizzaks. Can't really tell a difference, traction seems the same.

They won't compete with the current crop of top tier tires. I've read that they are noisy. They will be better than a worn winter tire and much better than an all season.

If the truck sees limited use, go for it.
    Last edited by The Tortoise; 12-17-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks. Think I might grab a set. Not worried about noisy tires on this truck - it's plenty noisy anyway. It gets low mileage each year, but in winter, it's what gets driven up skiing almost every time.

Saw a set of OEM wheels on local Craigslist too, am emailing them to follow up on those.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Bit more detail. Last Christmas season I needed tires and had not a lot of cash. I was replacing a set of WS Blizzaks that had lasted three seasons. Same as you, local Discount had them in stock. Kept them on through June last season (we had a long season), when I had them installed this season they showed no wear and had plenty of siping.

Traction seems equal to my Blizzaks, I feel a lot more stable in my 330xi than with my m-s equipped k2500. I haven’t noticed any excessive noise, they do ride a bit harsher than my summer tires. It’s to be seen whether the traction remains into the third season as did my Blizzaks but so far so good.

I know nothing about that tire - but thought I'd share my experience with "cheap" winter tires.
    About 5 years ago, I decided I'd get a pair of winter tires for my beater. [If you must know, a Chev Prizm - not known for being a great roar-up-to-the-mountain vehicle.]

Being a cheap maggot, I asked a friend who works at a dealership parts dept if he could find me some cheap winter tires. He found a pair of new tires, but said the shop would only take cash - but they were $40 each. [14" tires, so that helps.]

At $40 each I said "Yes, please" as fast as I could.

Put them on.
    I drove up and down over a couple of seasons, in some really crazy conditions. [Even a 50" dump in 48 hours.] Other than clearance, and the oh-so-cool (sometimes scary) drift [because I just had regular tires on the back] they were pretty incredible. I've got X-Ice that are a few years old now, and I honestly think the $40 tires are better. [Different car, and all that - so hard to know.]

So, I don't really think the "expensive" latest and greatest are all that much better than a cheap winter rated tire. At least that hasn't been my experience.

I picked up a set of used OEM wheels from Craigslist for $40, and got the GT Champiro Ice Pro 2 tires. Studdable, but without studs. 17/32" tread depth.

Roads are bone dry locally, as it hasn't really snowed since early December. Will update after it actually snows again in Tahoe.

On my second set of Champiro WinterPro HP (drive a WRX).
    Beasts.
    I'm sure people think I'm crazy when driving in inclement weather.

Tire place accidentally put on the IcePro and they were notably softer than the WinterPro HP.
    Pretty sure that Champiro tires are OEM equipment for BMW in the Asian market.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    On my second set of Champiro WinterPro HP (drive a WRX).
    Beasts.
    I'm sure people think I'm crazy when driving in inclement weather.

Tire place accidentally put on the IcePro and they were notably softer than the WinterPro HP.
    Pretty sure that Champiro tires are OEM equipment for BMW in the Asian market.
    Did you put any miles on the IcePros? Can you compare performance and life with the WinterPro, or did they take them back off?

FWIW, my selection of these tires was 100% based on price. Truck requires load range E tires, and the Champiro ones were by far cheaper than anything else available in 245/75/16 E.

Bump for another season on cheap winter tires. No snow yet this year (that I've driven in), but it'll come.

I noticed that Discount Tire has these again for like $86, in the same size my truck uses - 245/75/16, E load range. So heads up for anyone who needs a cheap winter tire for a heavy truck.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Did you put any miles on the IcePros? Can you compare performance and life with the WinterPro, or did they take them back off?
    IcePros were super soft.
    Handled terribly, switched to WinterPro HP immediately.
    The HPs are "high performance" winter tires; high speed rating, fairly stiff sidewall.

Probably going to the tire shop tomorrow to put them back on for the winter season.

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    IcePros were super soft.
    Handled terribly, switched to WinterPro HP immediately.
    The HPs are "high performance" winter tires; high speed rating, fairly stiff sidewall.

Probably going to the tire shop tomorrow to put them back on for the winter season.

Yo, My brother, any chance you'll be racing up to Jh again this season?

anybody know where i can buy some cheap condoms ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Yo, My brother, any chance you'll be racing up to Jh again this season?
    Yo!
    Definitely hoping to.
    If I don't return my Mountain Collective pass I'll have:
    2 days at JH
    2 at GT
    3 at SK (via my Monarch pass)
    And a bit farther north
    2 at BS.

Have until the 23rd to decide, but just seeing pictures of the Tetons makes me ache.

Let’s look at it this way which is how I look at. How much is your deductible? How much will you save by buying cheap tires? First slide out and you will hit deductible. You save $200 and deductible is $500-1000. I get it, but also have to consider missing a pow day

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I mean cheap winter tires are still miles ahead of most AT or all season tires, which is what the majority of the population runs.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Let’s look at it this way which is how I look at. How much is your deductible? How much will you save by buying cheap tires? First slide out and you will hit deductible. You save $200 and deductible is $500-1000. I get it, but also have to consider missing a pow day

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    not only that ^^ you could die so consider the snow tire a lifesaving device

just like that other rubber life saving device ... the condom

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    not only that ^^ you could die so consider the snow tire a lifesaving device

just like that other rubber life saving device ... the condom
    Drama aside, I put a set of the cheap Champiro's on my truck in October. Four trips back and forth over Teton pass in storms and snowpacked conditions, and a long slushy freeway drive, have me wondering why the Hakkas on my wife's car cost almost twice as much. I'm guessing they have better tread life? Time will tell but the GT Champiro's have good traction.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Drama aside, I put a set of the cheap Champiro's on my truck in October. Four trips back and forth over Teton pass in storms and snowpacked conditions, and a long slushy freeway drive, have me wondering why the Hakkas on my wife's car cost almost twice as much. I'm guessing they have better tread life? Time will tell but the GT Champiro's have good traction.
    why wonder or care if you who know the price of everything and the value of nothing are more concerned with the money ?

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I mean cheap winter tires are still miles ahead of most AT or all season tires, which is what the majority of the population runs.
    This. It's not like cheap winter tire = YER GONNA DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    That's a different tire than the truck version I bought, which is the "Ice Pro 2," for whatever it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    That's a different tire than the truck version I bought, which is the "Ice Pro 2," for whatever it's worth.
    Good clarification.