Cheap winter tires: GT Champiro - anyone have?

Anyone here using GT Champiro winter tires? Stumbled across them searching for a deal on Discount Tire website, and they have them in the size my truck uses, load range E, for $86 each. Plus $50 rebate off four.

Old beater truck, with partially worn Cooper ATPs that seem to have a hard rubber compound, so any winter tire would be an improvement. Most winter tires in this truck size are $150 each or more. Don't really want to dump a bunch into a winter set on this truck.

Basically thinking: how bad could they be? Probably still way better than what's on there now.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Anyone here using GT Champiro winter tires? Stumbled across them searching for a deal on Discount Tire website, and they have them in the size my truck uses, load range E, for $86 each. Plus $50 rebate off four.

Old beater truck, with partially worn Cooper ATPs that seem to have a hard rubber compound, so any winter tire would be an improvement. Most winter tires in this truck size are $150 each or more. Don't really want to dump a bunch into a winter set on this truck.

Basically thinking: how bad could they be? Probably still way better than what's on there now.
    They're made by Giti Tire, a Singapore Co. They're a big company. I wouldn't hesitate putting them on a nice truck, let alone a beater.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I bought a set last year to replace my Blizzaks. Can't really tell a difference, traction seems the same.

They won't compete with the current crop of top tier tires. I've read that they are noisy. They will be better than a worn winter tire and much better than an all season.

If the truck sees limited use, go for it.
    Last edited by The Tortoise; 12-17-2019 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks. Think I might grab a set. Not worried about noisy tires on this truck - it's plenty noisy anyway. It gets low mileage each year, but in winter, it's what gets driven up skiing almost every time.

Saw a set of OEM wheels on local Craigslist too, am emailing them to follow up on those.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Bit more detail. Last Christmas season I needed tires and had not a lot of cash. I was replacing a set of WS Blizzaks that had lasted three seasons. Same as you, local Discount had them in stock. Kept them on through June last season (we had a long season), when I had them installed this season they showed no wear and had plenty of siping.

Traction seems equal to my Blizzaks, I feel a lot more stable in my 330xi than with my m-s equipped k2500. I haven’t noticed any excessive noise, they do ride a bit harsher than my summer tires. It’s to be seen whether the traction remains into the third season as did my Blizzaks but so far so good.

I know nothing about that tire - but thought I'd share my experience with "cheap" winter tires.
    About 5 years ago, I decided I'd get a pair of winter tires for my beater. [If you must know, a Chev Prizm - not known for being a great roar-up-to-the-mountain vehicle.]

Being a cheap maggot, I asked a friend who works at a dealership parts dept if he could find me some cheap winter tires. He found a pair of new tires, but said the shop would only take cash - but they were $40 each. [14" tires, so that helps.]

At $40 each I said "Yes, please" as fast as I could.

Put them on.
    I drove up and down over a couple of seasons, in some really crazy conditions. [Even a 50" dump in 48 hours.] Other than clearance, and the oh-so-cool (sometimes scary) drift [because I just had regular tires on the back] they were pretty incredible. I've got X-Ice that are a few years old now, and I honestly think the $40 tires are better. [Different car, and all that - so hard to know.]

So, I don't really think the "expensive" latest and greatest are all that much better than a cheap winter rated tire. At least that hasn't been my experience.

I picked up a set of used OEM wheels from Craigslist for $40, and got the GT Champiro Ice Pro 2 tires. Studdable, but without studs. 17/32" tread depth.

Roads are bone dry locally, as it hasn't really snowed since early December. Will update after it actually snows again in Tahoe.

On my second set of Champiro WinterPro HP (drive a WRX).
    Beasts.
    I'm sure people think I'm crazy when driving in inclement weather.

Tire place accidentally put on the IcePro and they were notably softer than the WinterPro HP.
    Pretty sure that Champiro tires are OEM equipment for BMW in the Asian market.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    On my second set of Champiro WinterPro HP (drive a WRX).
    Beasts.
    I'm sure people think I'm crazy when driving in inclement weather.

Tire place accidentally put on the IcePro and they were notably softer than the WinterPro HP.
    Pretty sure that Champiro tires are OEM equipment for BMW in the Asian market.
    Did you put any miles on the IcePros? Can you compare performance and life with the WinterPro, or did they take them back off?

FWIW, my selection of these tires was 100% based on price. Truck requires load range E tires, and the Champiro ones were by far cheaper than anything else available in 245/75/16 E.