Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Resort skinners are the road bikers of the ski world.
    Every time I look down from the lift and see a touron coming up an open downhill ski run I think “what a douche”.

Similar sentiment when I’m on a 40mph road stuck behind some douche on a bike going 17mph.

^ do you get tourists doing this? I would have assumed this was a more local crowd

my local resort allows skinning whenever they arent spinning lifts which is awesome. for early season getting in shape its tough to beat. but now that the bc is going off, there is still a gaggle of skinners rolling up the groomer every morning and everytime i see them .......i shake my head and wonder why the fuck they arent out shredding something worthy. i think they think they are somehow rad doing that, when in fact they are getting laughed at. and if people think they are doing it so as not to worry about avy danger,........ this in tahoe where we have a plethora of safe touring spots not in avy terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    ^ do you get tourists doing this? I would have assumed this was a more local crowd
    Oh. I though it was short for a touring moron. So it’s a tourist touring moron?

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Oh. I though it was short for a touring moron. So it’s a tourist touring moron?
    I think a dumb tourist, you hear this in beach towns etc

(I suppose you could make the case that the definition still fits, but I just assumed you were using the word in the "normal" sense to mean a dumb texan or whatever)

we have a 4.2 km trail to town that was recently built by the Rotarians and a lot of people ski it for exercise at all time of the day or night
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Every time I look down from the lift and see a touron coming up an open downhill ski run I think “what a douche”.

Similar sentiment when I’m on a 40mph road stuck behind some douche on a bike going 17mph.
    god forbid anyone should ever get in your way

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I think a dumb tourist, you hear this in beach towns etc

(I suppose you could make the case that the definition still fits, but I just assumed you were using the word in the "normal" sense to mean a dumb texan or whatever)
    I like that it’s flexible and has multiple uses.

There are quite a number of public land ski areas in the PNW that are adjacent to great backcountry zones -- and in some cases the approaches are considerably longer if uphill in-bounds traffic is excluded.

Personally, I feel it's a bit philosophically dicey to charge people for access to public lands if they're foregoing the lessee's improvements and whatever, but if you're skinning on their groomers and benefiting from their avalanche control a fee doesn't seem unreasonable. It does seem unreasonable that public land lessees can close their SUP-area even when they're not operating though (i.e. before/after the season has started).

back in the day I spent lots of time on the ski hill at nite it was not a big deal wave to cat drivers get rides used someone's borrowed key to smoke out a lift shack keep out of the way mind your own business it was a blast did it weekly from early to late season

Well today instead of a group or too of regular users it's become a shit show of people once you get a larger cross section of people the dip shit asshole factor rises and people can't get out of there own way hacks run into snowmaking snow machines and lift towers and blame the resort hollier than thou tough guys yell at paying guests on and on

Maybe people were cooler smarter and more respectful 25 years ago

Resorts have every right and reason to control access

Sent from my SM-J737V using TGR Forums mobile app

Touron isn't the proper nomenclature here.

Instead of "touring" we should use "skinning". So maybe skinniot?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    god forbid anyone should ever get in your way
    I’ll run your ass over old man.

Quote Originally Posted by ptavv View Post
    ...It does seem unreasonable that public land lessees can close their SUP-area even when they're not operating though (i.e. before/after the season has started).
    Just because they aren't open to the public, doesn't mean their not operating. Ski hills require a fuck ton of off season work.

The amount of butthurt in this thread about how other people enjoy their free time is hilarious.

I’ll run your ass over old man.

wouldn't be the first time.

I spent my time in Michigan XC skiing. When I moved to CA I graduated to BC skiing (gear was pretty primitive, not particularly safe, and they hadn't yet invented avalanches--or beacons). Finally started resort skiing. So you could say I came at it backwards.

The only uphill skiing around here is Sugar Bowl I think. Not that many people do it although I only ski midweek, so it certainly doesn't bother me. I did get a kick out of the leader of a group heading out into the backcountry at the top of Lincoln fall over the instant he went out the gate.

I think we are going to see more in the future as uphilling becomes more mainstream and more people pay attention...

https://www.postindependent.com/news...-day-or-night/

It might not affect your thot process but the guy on a bike is legally allowed to be there, uphill on a ski run ... we're not sure

but what can be said for a skier that can't avoid the only almost stationary object on a piste, will he also run into a tree/rock/ lift tower ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

There are enough obstacles from paying customers, we don’t need to encourage more.

After hours isn’t much better, we had a group plan a tour one morning before the lifts spun. They freaked about the avalanche hazard. So of course started skinning up, in the dark, some groomers. They skinned directly beneath a slope with active mitigation in process, bombs being thrown. Delayed opening.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Not sure how skinning is different. Just carry your shotgun during hunting season and you should be good to go for a few laps at least...
    I'm carrying a 9mm for wolves when touring and now I have to carry a scattergun?
    I do like to wrack a shell in the chamber at the sight of danger
    "Go ahead Cat Driver, make my evening"

/onlyapplies@brighton
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Skinning uphill inbounds while lifts are turning is just a very slight upgrade from riding your Peloton trainer. As best I can tell, there's a lot of overlap in those crowds.

I'm in France right now and there are people skinning in the resort, either before or during operations

Doesn't seem to bother anyone.

And it's free.

I did it myself for 4 weeks before the resort opened

And i did it a few times after it opened. Why? Because i wanted to get some aerobic exercise and the true backcountry wasn't skiable, (shitty snow).

Again, i wasn't the only one, and nobody cared.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    There are enough obstacles from paying customers, we don’t need to encourage more.

After hours isn’t much better, we had a group plan a tour one morning before the lifts spun. They freaked about the avalanche hazard. So of course started skinning up, in the dark, some groomers. They skinned directly beneath a slope with active mitigation in process, bombs being thrown. Delayed opening.
    Good thing paying resort customers never violate any rules or otherwise cause any inconvenience

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I

Again, i wasn't the only one, and nobody cared.

this is america where everyone cares what everyone else is doing and has to worry about what they are doing instead of themselves
    and this is america where people are stupider than the average european

I feel like $5 or $10 is ok. If it's off-season or dawn patrol, that fee isn't gonna be there, but if you're using their groomers, their parking lot that they may own (not public land), and their ski patrol if you fall down and go boom, it seems like more than a reasonable price.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I feel like $5 or $10 is ok. If it's off-season or dawn patrol, that fee isn't gonna be there, but if you're using their groomers, their parking lot that they may own (not public land), and their ski patrol if you fall down and go boom, it seems like more than a reasonable price.
    Not to mention access to the soup offerings in the lodge.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    this is america where everyone cares what everyone else is doing and has to worry about what they are doing instead of themselves
    and this is america where people are stupider than the average european
    Hit the nail on the head.