Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    This thread reminded me of a question that's been bugging me for a while.

Where does sidecountry end and backcountry begin?

If I go uphill at the resort, then just keep going to the side and out of bounds am I technically only in sidecountry? Then I assume one can go to the side far enough to technically be in the backcountry, or is the backcountry something one has to access by parking in a super secret location first?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Have to go over the backside of the resort to get to the backcountry.

So you can't go to the side and get there?

I was reading Freeskiers backcountry issue in the bathroom last night and it was a bit confusing because they have two different sets of gear depending on whether you are in the sidecountry or backcountry.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

in Southern Vermont, uphill is free at Stratton on prescribed routes, also free at Magic and a token for a same day lift ride is available on top if you make it up there, and an uphill season pass is twenty bucks at Bromley, altho this year its no dogs allowed.....

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    this is america where everyone cares what everyone else is doing and has to worry about what they are doing instead of themselves
    and this is america where people are stupider than the average european
    That's because Europe sent us their stupid people (along with the rapists and drug dealers) and kept the smart ones.
    This is also America where we're all in tribes and the skinners and lift riders are in two different tribes and people don't like to see the other tribe on their turf.

Last year when the resort opened here with one massively overcrowded run, there were a couple crazy spandex wearing uphill skinners heading up against the crowds. I didn’t see them this year so maybe the Darwin effect worked?

If I were a resort, I would want more people at my resort spending money at my resort. Costs are fixed with out without people skinning uphill. More skinners = more people buying beer.

I'm honestly surprised there aren't more resorts catering to backcountry skiing, even ski resorts without lifts. Honestly I think it's a huge opportunity as the accessibility of BC skiing increases with the great gear there is a demand for ski area type avalanche control, bars, etc... (lights?!) I also think the average ski resort (especially the one here) fails to realize that their main competitor is in fact backcountry skiing, and not other resorts.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

more skinners=more people buying beer
    I feel like the in bound, uphill skinning crowd is more the kombucha type but maybe the resort will take in the cash from michelob ultras...

I have skinned at the hill(bridger) but only pre or post season. I also really dont give a shit if that's what floats your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    We pay the National Forest for winter parking directly. Resort can’t charge for parking.
    I believe you're paying ODOT not the National Forest. Unless you're at Hoodoo.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    Good thing paying resort customers never violate any rules or otherwise cause any inconvenience
    Yes, because two wrongs always make a right. That’s like saying you should be able to go the wrong way on the freeway because people going the right way don’t always follow the law.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Must be their agreement
    Maybe they do their own snow removal?
    The Snow Park permits required for Mt Hood area are a creature of ODOT. Not sure who they use to do the actual plowing and parking patrol duties

Mt Bachelor neither charges for parking nor requires any kind of parking permit. They do their own plowing - and it shows!

However, parking can be a bitch at times. Like last Sunday - I had to get there at 0745 to be the second vehicle in SR upper lot. Required a 50 yard walk to the ski rack and lodge.

ETA - Grizz beat me to the ODOT part
    ETA II - For all of you advocating a charge for uphill traffic - How you gonna get the dawn patrol peeps to pay up?

So which is the first resort that’s going to offer an uphill skinning section of the mountain only?

No lift required, doesn’t even have to be in a particularly good skiable area, just groom a couple of fucking stripes someplace and tell the idiots to go run around over there.....

And charge ‘em for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Yes, because two wrongs always make a right. That’s like saying you should be able to go the wrong way on the freeway because people going the right way don’t always follow the law.
    It's more like allowing cyclists to share the roadways with vehicles. They don't pay registration, but use the resources and impact the ones that are there first.

99% of the time skinning uphill at a resort isn't suicidal.

Yeah, but as usual in life, it’s the 1% that fucks it up for all the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    So which is the first resort that’s going to offer an uphill skinning section of the mountain only?

No lift required, doesn’t even have to be in a particularly good skiable area, just groom a couple of fucking stripes someplace and tell the idiots to go run around over there.....

And charge ‘em for it.
    You mean the nordic area?

You would think that would do, but apparently not.

I don’t hear about the Skinners attacking the Nordic areas before the places open and grabbing all the fucking powder.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    If I were a resort, I would want more people at my resort spending money at my resort. Costs are fixed with out without people skinning uphill. More skinners = more people buying beer.

I'm honestly surprised there aren't more resorts catering to backcountry skiing, even ski resorts without lifts. Honestly I think it's a huge opportunity as the accessibility of BC skiing increases with the great gear there is a demand for ski area type avalanche control, bars, etc... (lights?!) I also think the average ski resort (especially the one here) fails to realize that their main competitor is in fact backcountry skiing, and not other resorts.
    You mean like these guys? http://bluebirdbackcountry.com/about/

Or what Cuchara currently is, although they want to get the old lift going again: https://thecucharamountainpark.org/

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    You would think that would do, but apparently not.

I don’t hear about the Skinners attacking the Nordic areas before the places open and grabbing all the fucking powder.
    Shh, the lurkers are reading man.

That’s awesome ^

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Are there bike trails if it's on trailforks?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Are there bike trails if it's on trailforks?
    No bike trails

No sleds either, nothing quite like it anywhere in N.A. really
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

That is F-ing cool
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Time to start a new thread “riding chair lifts in a ski area RIGHT or PRIVILEGE”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums