Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 9990

He's skied there for twenty years and he didn't know it was steep enough to slide.
    I've never lived anywhere near there, but have heard of all that have died.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    He's skied there for twenty years and he didn't know it was steep enough to slide.
    I've never lived anywhere near there, but have heard of all that have died.
    Insightful, thanks.

You know I'm referring to the comments from the skier in the video just posted, right? Not the guy that died

Point is, how do you ski there for 20 years and
    1. go out of bounds without avy gear.
    2. not have heard about the fatalities there
    3. not realize the slide path you're on is steep enough to slide

We talk about how folks should realize there's no such thing as sidecountry, it's all backcountry once you leave the gates. My feeling is that sidecountry is way more dangerous than backcountry because of folks like him in the mix.

No question in my mind that lift serviced high angle backcountry is the most dangerous because of easy access to Gerrys. I think that riders who earn their turns visit avi sites, dig pits, know when to stay low angle and respect conditions. To many riding places like Dutch Draw and Square Top just want to brag about schralping gnar. These are the ones who are looking for trouble
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

You know I'm referring to the comments from the skier in the video just posted, right? Not the guy that died

Point is, how do you ski there for 20 years and
    1. go out of bounds without avy gear.
    2. not have heard about the fatalities there
    3. not realize the slide path you're on is steep enough to slide

We talk about how folks should realize there's no such thing as sidecountry, it's all backcountry once you leave the gates. My feeling is that sidecountry is way more dangerous than backcountry because of folks like him in the mix.
    Exactly. "Didn't think it was steep enough to slide" but there were 2 slides right there in the last f'in week. What kind of rock do you live under to not know that there was a fatal avalanche just outside the resort you are skiing at?

^^^ Human nature.

"It can't happen to me."

Had a buddy killed across the road from Alta. Snowboarding solo during considerable hazard.

At different times a bunch of us all had the talk with him about riding solo.

He simply did not believe what he was doing was hazardous.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/19...-in-avalanche/
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Information is so much more readily available these days, but man, I'm lucky to have survived 18-19 years old. I skied the slack country with reckless abandon, because I had no idea. Point is, we all did dumb shit and most of us were lucky enough to get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Information is so much more readily available these days, but man, I'm lucky to have survived 18-19 years old. I skied the slack country with reckless abandon, because I had no idea. Point is, we all did dumb shit and most of us were lucky enough to get away with it.
    true, but i was drunk as fuck at the time (meaning the period from 17-21)

Also, reading the report was the first time I ever heard about graupel pooling under cliff bands as a potential hazard. Good info.
    Yep. I've seen touchy slabs at the base of Crescent Couloir that wanted to slide on a graupel layer. Happens at the toe of coolies too.

RIP
    sproing!

^that makes sense since it seems the entire time you're booting up one you're watching the stuff roll down past you