Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Beyond Meat/Impossible Burger

Is there a thread already?
    I searched...

Anyhoo, we tried Beyond Meat with our Blue Apron tacos tonight. I thought it was *OK*, but a few bites in my kiddo said “this meat is terrible”.
    We both cracked up because we hadn’t told him it was meat substitute.
    That kinda says it all.

What say ye?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I had a Beyond Burger last week (after watching The Gamechangers lol) and I have to say, it was better than I was expecting.

(although, I was expecting to gag, possibly barf, then throw the thing out and defrost the beef burgers in my freezer)

I guess I was expecting it to be a bit better from all of the hoopla.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I read on the internet that it's basically wet dog food with added coloring.

That said I still tried it and thought it was fine, but I'd rather just eat well-prepared veggies instead of pretending to eat meat.

I ate 2 impossible burgers at the same time once and it gave me the shits.

Take it slow with the heme.

It’s Soylent green

Seriously, until we live in a meat free society due to cow farts, animal kindness, or energy shortages, why would you eat this?

If your a vagan why eat something with dead cow flavor?

If you can get real beef for less money, it tastes better
    . . .

Tried it and thought “tastes like all other fake meat.”

What I didn’t get it the people who say it tastes just like real beef...bc it doesn’t...at all.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

2 different companies. Impossible Foods make the "patty" for BK. Gonna give'r a go when I'm feeling brave

The beyond meat hot Italian sausage is fucking great on the grill. The “meat” crumbles are pretty gross. Chewy and hard.The burgers are decent.

It's not great. My wife makes better fake meat from cauliflower, walnuts and soy

My daughter has given up beef because of it's impact on the environment. Between the two, I find the impossible burger to be the clear winner. But my palate isn't that sophisticated....

I don’t really mind them. Been vegetarian for a couple of years, so I don’t have real meat flavors that easily recalled. Sometimes I get a craving for a burger and the Beyond/Impossible burgers def do the trick.

It helps to have them more available when traveling, too. Easy to find a Burger King or Carl’s Jr. and grab one in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    The beyond meat hot Italian sausage is fucking great on the grill. The “meat” crumbles are pretty gross. Chewy and hard.The burgers are decent.
    Wish I had seen this before I saw the crumbles and impulse purchased them a couple days ago!

I agree that the meat crumbles aren't that great. I had them in tacos once and wasn't impressed. I thought that the Impossible Burger was pretty ok. Not amazing, but it was better than a lot of veggie burgers I've had. I swear I had one a year or more ago and it was less good than the one I had a few months ago, but I'm not sure if things changed or I just misremembered what I ate before.

Now for the winner: Beyond Meat Bratwurst. I wouldn't compare them back to back to real bratwurst, but they are legit good on their own. My carnivorous family eats and really enjoys them. I haven't had the hot italian sausage, but I'll have to try them.

Have only tried the burgers at home so far, but I was pretty impressed. I notice a slight taste difference between regular beef, but not in a bad way. If the quality is comparable at the fast food joints, they must be better than the "regular" burgers those places serve, right? I'll give a BK or Carl's one a try when the opportunity presents itself.

Guaranteed there are no people who make great burgers that are also saying the fake burgers taste great. It's really that simple. This may be a wake up call to some of you who think they taste good and that you also make a great burger.

I'd rather my fake meat taste like something else. I prefer the taste of garden burgers or black bean burgers to beyonsible. I prefer a grass fed beef burger 80/20 to those, and a 90/10 elk/pork fat burger to all of it.

The beyond burger I got from supermarket tasted like shit and nothing like meat. Whole family agreed. Had the crumbles too. They were OK but not meaty.

Best fake meat: Morningstar farms breakfast links. No one will confuse it for meat. Very odd texture, but I fuckin love em.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I ate 2 impossible burgers at the same time once and it gave me the shits.
    This (but it was beyond meat). Even though I have a cast iron stomach. Like drink the water in Mexico no problem level. And I only ate one.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Vag that tastes like dead cow is not good.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    It's not great. My wife makes better fake meat from cauliflower, walnuts and soy
    There's an awesome vegan food truck in this town that makes a good meat substitute from ??? and serves a bunch of other really good stuff that doesn't taste like meat, and there's another vegan truck that uses beyond meat products, who are inferior in every way.

I just wish that the manufactured foods weren't so high in sodium. It's so hard to eat a low sodium, low fat and low cholesterol diet without eating mostly rabbit food. I like veggies but it's so hard for me to eat well when I'm working, who has an hour to stop and sit down to eat a $15 salad? I end up going from breakfast to 7 or 8pm sometimes, an impossible or similar burger can be eaten on the go and would solve a lot of that problem but no, it's all about salt.

It's a work in progress, and I'm glad someone's making the effort, but not there yet (tried both and they are like mediocor beef). And more expensive than ground beef, which means they are going nowhere soon. But maybe eventually . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    It’s Soylent green

Seriously, until we live in a meat free society due to cow farts, animal kindness, or energy shortages, why would you eat this?

If you can get real beef for less money, it tastes better
    A true vegan wouldn't eat it. Vegans basically don't eat food that is processed, ie, comes in a package.

Vegetarians don't eat meat.

I thought I posted a meme here somewhere about the outstandingly similar ingredients meatless burgers have compared to dog food. Almost the same.

I find the impossible whopper to be a direct comparison to the cow whopper. It's not currently gonna replace a well made burger, but for burger king, it's great. Anything towards less greenhouse gas emissions is going to be a step in the right direction. There also are advantages to plant based foods in regards to food safety. Animal protein is much more susceptible to food borne disease than plants.

Now, the beyond burger is meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    It's a work in progress, and I'm glad someone's making the effort, but not there yet (tried both and they are like mediocor beef). And more expensive than ground beef, which means they are going nowhere soon. But maybe eventually . . .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5472.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	471.8 KB 
ID:	306196

Note to self - don’t ask Tele ‘til You’re Smelly for stock advice....

There's already been some backlash over vegans finding out that the fast food joints were cooking them on the same grills and using the same spatulas used to cook the real beef burgers.. So, they were slathered in real beef juice.. No wonder they taste so real LOL!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    There's already been some backlash over vegans finding out that the fast food joints were cooking them on the same grills and using the same spatulas used to cook the real beef burgers.. So, they were slathered in real beef juice.. No wonder they taste so real LOL!
    What a kosher lie
    No matter how much real meat juice is on the griddle, it won’t make beyond meat taste good
    . . .