Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    My general feeling is that if you want to eat meat. then eat real meat. I don't eat a ton of meat, especially beef, but if I want a burger I'm going to go for the real McCoy 100% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    There also are advantages to plant based foods in regards to food safety. Animal protein is much more susceptible to food borne disease than plants.
    Based on all the recalls in the past few years for both meat and greans for e-coli and listeria, I'm not certain one food source or the other can claim to be safer in regards to process contamination. Last couple here have been greens from cali, but there was at least one processed meat recall this past summer for some ontario plant. Thankfully, the garden did well, as did the fish and game harvest this fall.

I had a Tim Hortons meat free "sausage", egg and cheese last summer. It was pretty good. I actually think they gave me the real thing by mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Based on all the recalls in the past few years for both meat and greans for e-coli and listeria, I'm not certain one food source or the other can claim to be safer in regards to process contamination. Last couple here have been greens from cali, but there was at least one processed meat recall this past summer for some ontario plant. Thankfully, the garden did well, as did the fish and game harvest this fall.
    Most meats have a high probability of contamination, that's why you cook them.

I've had the Impossible Whopper. Had it before it was available to the general public because I work in the BK supply line (not a line cook with Blurred but not too far above him either). Fucking good. Sales are on the long slide up as well. So people seem to be coming back for more after trying them.

I grilled up some Beyond Meat sausages at Killington this spring. With peppers, onions and mustard on a roll they tasted surprisingly good. Trouble is that I can buy in store made sausage at my local grocer at the same price.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190510_221304#1.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	816.5 KB 
ID:	306242

Always some "shit" going on with processed food.

usda.gov/recalls-and-public-health-alerts/current-recalls-and-alerts
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

And the lettuce contaminations are linked to cow feedlots:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...cattle-feedlot

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    There's already been some backlash over vegans finding out that the fast food joints were cooking them on the same grills and using the same spatulas used to cook the real beef burgers.. So, they were slathered in real beef juice.. No wonder they taste so real LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    What a kosher lie
    No matter how much real meat juice is on the griddle, it won’t make beyond meat taste good
    I never said it taste good, not that I'd ever know or care to try it. I just said real beef juice makes it taste real.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Impossible Burger, Beyond Meat Burger, and dog food. Which is which?

Name:	Ingredients.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	306245

Quote Originally Posted by ron johnson View Post
    Impossible Burger, Beyond Meat Burger, and dog food. Which is which?

Name:	Ingredients.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	306245
    L --> R
    Beyond, Dog Food, Impossible
    How'd I do?
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

this all seems like bull-hucky to me. the overall tenor here sounds like a buncha picky-ass vegans.

I give it a 'meh' and bonus 'not as bad as I was expecting' but it was covered in cheese and probably cooked on the same griddle that the burgers and bacon was on.

Soyrizo is my favorite fake meat product, probably because it's covered in hot sauce.

I find the impossible whopper to be a direct comparison to the cow whopper. It's not currently gonna replace a well made burger, but for burger king, it's great. Anything towards less greenhouse gas emissions is going to be a step in the right direction. There also are advantages to plant based foods in regards to food safety. Animal protein is much more susceptible to food borne disease than plants.

Now, the beyond burger is meh.
    Tell that to romaine lettuce

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Tell that to romaine lettuce

I think my wording in that post was a bit clunky in regards to the food borne pathogens. Meat is highly susceptible to contamination, and this is why it comes with warnings to cook it to above a certain temperature. Lettuce, generally, is safely eaten raw, except for when it gets contaminated with E. Coli that comes from nearby cattle feedlots. Also, meat spoils if not stored properly.

Here's another source: https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2016/04/125066/

Had one recently and it was ok. I guess I don't really get who these are marketed to. I ate them because my sister's whole wedding weekend was vegan and she took the bridal party to a "vegan junkfood" restaurant. She says she won't eat them because she doesn't like the taste of meat anymore. So if meateaters don't eat them because they don't taste enough like meat and vegetarian/vegans don't eat them because they taste too much like meat...is it just a novelty item?
    It sucks to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinSki View Post
    So if meateaters don't eat them because they don't taste enough like meat and vegetarian/vegans don't eat them because they taste too much like meat...is it just a novelty item?
    I know some straight edge, mid 20s folks who are all in on this kind of stuff. They're chalking it up to being accepted as a sizable market being addressed finally. And, they're totally OK with stuff that tastes more like conventional food than rabbit food.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    L --> R
    Beyond, Dog Food, Impossible
    How'd I do?
    A+

Lettuce, generally, is safely eaten raw, except for when it gets contaminated with E. Coli that comes from nearby cattle feedlots.
    Wild animals are a repeated source of contamination with lettuce.

I don’t get why* impossible burgers aren’t sold frozen - iirc that’s how they ship - because the really nice thing about fake meats is they can easy to store

*pretty sure it’s marketing

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Wild animals are a repeated source of contamination with lettuce.

I don’t get why* impossible burgers aren’t sold frozen - iirc that’s how they ship - because the really nice thing about fake meats is they can easy to store

We buy the sausages when they're on sale and freeze them (as VT-freeheel says, they're kind of expensive). Put them in the fridge a day before we want them. It doesn't seem to hurt them any.

I think my wording in that post was a bit clunky in regards to the food borne pathogens. Meat is highly susceptible to contamination, and this is why it comes with warnings to cook it to above a certain temperature. Lettuce, generally, is safely eaten raw, except for when it gets contaminated with E. Coli that comes from nearby cattle feedlots. Also, meat spoils if not stored properly.

Here's another source: https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2016/04/125066/
    I know. I was mostly joking.

Beyond Meat/Impossible Burger

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post

We get a case for our store every few weeks. They do ship frozen. We sell them frozen too

100% marketing to sell them thawed in the meat section of grocery stores
    Last edited by t-the-east; 12-15-2019 at 02:49 PM.

And because people decide what they are going to cook in the grocery store, they want to buy things thawed to cook right away, IMO.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Frozen burgers are a great emergency meal.
    They go on the grill frozen

Why the frick would you need a thawed fake burger?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinSki View Post
    She says she won't eat them because she doesn't like the taste of meat anymore.
    Give that some time. She'll most likely start craving the meat taste again.
    My sister was borderline militant vegan. Constantly sending meme's,stats and facts about how meat is cruel blah blah blah(not full on PETA, she loathes them). Then one day, while we're out for her birthday she swipes some of my chicken marsala. To say I was smug would be an understatement, after telling her she'd cave eventually.

*yes, I do agree there needs to be a shift with how we prioritize meat bring the center focus of a meal. The waste, consumption of resources to produce 1 g of animal protein vs planted based yada yada but that doesn't mean I will like it

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Frozen burgers are a great emergency meal.
    They go on the grill frozen

Why the frick would you need a thawed fake burger?
    This. Bubba burgers ftw