Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Unprepared

Unprepared

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Outsider clickbait shit journalism
    Par for the bunny absorber of such crap
    As someone's whose flipped rafts and ridden the white wave of death as the Rog calls er
    It's part of the game
    Mother nature doesn't care what you know or think you know
    Abstinence is the only sure solution
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -
    ski on in eternal peace

I was completely unprepared for the results of those findings.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Not surprising. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    As someone's whose flipped rafts and ridden the white wave of death as the Rog calls er
    It's part of the game
    Such a stud.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

3 types in the white water/ avvy games in reguards to fuckin up
    those that have
    those that are gonna
    and puds like you who dont git it
    and you forgot seasoned journeyman
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    ski on in eternal peace

Drawing aconclusion that the average East Vail Skier = average backcountry skier is faulty.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

What's funny is most experianced bc peeps have gotton over avvy shaming

I watched a seasoned trolley take a nasty ride on a low danger green light day at the end of a green light week
    Not because he/we lacked formal training or knowledge
    But cause mother fuckin nature doesnt care
    But clearly the dipshits at outside dentist coffee table fodder and brolorado crap.com do and want somebody to believe that making mistakes is a sign of unpreparedness or lack of something
    Which is not the case
    ski on in eternal peace

Manly.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Dexter

Oh wait, this isn't the FWA thread. Never mind

Thanks for the local insight Bunny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I was totally unprepared for the massive dump I took earlier this morning....but, somehow, I'm feeling better now.
    ˇÓrale, vato!

Have you triggered a slide? Yes.

Have you been caught? Yes.

Have you recently practiced with your beacon? So far I switched it on once this year while getting ready to ski some powder.

I am curious how many people backcountry ski for decades without getting caught in avalanches. My guess would be very few.

Unprepared

Quote Originally Posted by Sky_Shoe View Post

I am curious how many people backcountry ski for decades without getting caught in avalanches. My guess would be very few.
    IMO it's a mater of mathematical probability, the more you go, the higher the likelyhood.

While the subject of the article MIGHT be valid and worthy of in-depth investigating (not apparent here), it generally falls short and amounts to junk content generation that does little to help the reader understand the context of the numbers provided.

I am also a probabilistic mater.

^^^
    Just don't be a statistic on a government chart eh?

What's funny is most experianced bc peeps have gotton over avvy shaming

I watched a seasoned trolley take a nasty ride on a low danger green light day at the end of a green light week
    Not because he/we lacked formal training or knowledge
    But cause mother fuckin nature doesnt care
    But clearly the dipshits at outside dentist coffee table fodder and brolorado crap.com do and want somebody to believe that making mistakes is a sign of unpreparedness or lack of something
    Which is not the case
    so you're saying that because training and gear doesn't prevent all avalanche incidents we shouldn't bother? It is true that there is always some risk, trained people do get buried on low risk days. But someone who goes out on a high risk day with a beacon they don't know how to use and skis into a terrain trap is at much higher risk; if no one had any training and gear the number of deaths would be a lot higher. Your kind of thinking is way too common in all kinds of risk situations--if something is not 100% effective it shouldn't be used. Like antivaxers who say that because flu vaccine doesn't prevent all flu no one should get a flu shot.

No you infered a bunch of of words and typed em out with a stupid analogy
    Then hit press reply
    But thanks for trying
    ski on in eternal peace

Anecdotal, but fatalities due to avalanche in this area have dropped over the past few years, after the previous decade saw a significant increase. This was largely due to the huge increase in the number of backcountry sledders - mostly albertans with petro-dollars reaped during the oilsands heydays. Education and having the tools are the big difference - most had none a decade ago, now everyone has at least the basic training and equipment. Digging out your deseased buddy helped drive home the point to the demographic as well. I think that we will see a re-surgence over the next few years or so due to complacency after this period of relative reduction in incidents. Thankfully, the information available regarding the current conditions has also vastly improved, both in availability and in the forecasting, and the amount of terrain analysis for popular areas is becoming more available.

From a personal SAR perspective, around here we are largely ineffective to respond quickly enough to make a difference in a successful live recovery of a buried subject - we are just too far away from the site and the request for assistance comes too late/slow. So for us, it is often a relatively safe response cause the urgency to attend a scene is gone in a body recovery - it is more a factor of dealing with the survivors of such an event.

As for experiencing avalanches, I actively look for micro-features to play with, so I would have to answer yes to being involved in an avalanche. But I chose such expose in small terrain and relatively controlled circumstances. Even a rutschblock test is falls in this category, although I seldom excavate that large a pit to practice anymore. I haven't been in a class 2(+) avy in over 25yrs, and this is due to a myrid of factors. That exposure might change once I hit retirement, the mortgage is paid off, and my daughter leaves the house, or maybe it won't. I try not to judge people for the risks they personally take, only their commitment to the obligations/responsibilities they leave behind for the rest of us to manage. Admittedly, I am not always successful. However, trying to "shame" with the demographics that are out here is more likely to result in a broken nose than increased backcountry safety anyways.

I am curious how many people backcountry ski for decades without getting caught in avalanches.
    This would be me, and it kinda wigs me out and makes me even more cautious.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

It's part of the game
    ok boomer

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    This would be me, and it kinda wigs me out and makes me even more cautious.
    I can think of 4 people off the top of my head that have made their living guiding or working in the bc here is CO with our shitty snow for the past 25-30 years that have never been caught. They are certainly cautious and have spent plenty of days meadow skipping when others were pushing it. But they're still around to give their wives and kids a hug each night instead of leaving their loved ones with meaningless platitudes like "he died doing what he loved". The more you ski in the backcountry the more likely you are to get caught, obviously. And being caught in one doesn't automatically imply that you're an idiot or did something wrong. But the idea that it is somehow an inevitability seems ridiculous to me.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Kudos to those who have gone decades without being caught! It has been at least a decade for me and it would be good extend that. These questions are not very informative about whether or how the skiers are mitigating risks. Have you ever witnessed a car accident (collision)? Have you ever been involved in one?

About a third had never taken a formal avalanche education class or an avalanche awareness class. A third had taken an American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education Level 1 class and about 15% had taken an awareness class.
    What fraction of avalanche victims do have formal training? Isn't it true that a formal avalanche education is correlated with a higher probability of falling victim to an avalanche?

Last season, she buried an avalanche transceiver under a few inches of snow and asked East Vail-bound skiers to find the beeping beacon. A standard for avalanche professionals is to locate two beacons in five minutes and three beacons in seven minutes. Rohrig asked 33 passing skiers to search and 16 obliged. All but one of them reported having formal avalanche education, yet three took longer than three minutes to find the beacon and five were unable to find the beacon at all.
    that's some fine police work lou

Started many on purpose by ski cutting slopes. Been caught in very few, but one is more than enough. I still feel quite lucky to have self-extracted from the one that would have taken me.
    Move upside and let the man go through...