Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Unprepared

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    my better 1/2 has no formal avvy training and got caught in a slide following to close behind me on a ski cut
    xover and tri u found her ski in the spring for her
    using those 2 parameter to determine backcountry preperation is fucking laughable as there are quite a few here that have toured with her and would tell you that her 2 decades +1000 of days in the bc have made her a great touring partner
    ever notice the biggest proponents of formal avalaunche training make their living selling it?
    or add space on clickbait urinal cake blogs made for bunnys whose envolope pushing happens in the cube
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -
    ski on in eternal peace

Here, hold my bong, I'm dropping in. Fuck it.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Here, hold my bong, I'm dropping in. Fuck it.
    Who the fuck let the rabbit get out of the gate?

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

"I ski hardly at all, and never in the bc, but have Lots Of Opinions™ on risk and backcountry skiing" is a hilarious style of guy we have a lot of here

yo bun buns dont let the fact that my old lady skis shit you never will
    and has more community respect than you ever will
    without ever even bothering to make a post
    harsh your sad stokeless mellow
    eat another gummie
    read another shitty blog
    and start another thread
    bout it
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    ski on in eternal peace

i'm good w dying. i'm not really pushing it these days but i'm good w dying in an avalanche. been hit twice on a road bike by cars. heuristics are apparently a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    yo bun buns dont let the fact that my old lady skis shit you never will
    without ever even bothering to make a post
    harsh your sad stokeless mellow
    eat another gummie
    read another shitty blog
    and start another thread
    bout it
    Good luck, hippie. Nasty way to go.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

you cunts should pm each other

I guess since that sort of thing is important to you, I’ll throw my vote towards Benny.

But ramble on with whatever point you were trying to make in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    "I ski hardly at all, and never in the bc, but have Lots Of Opinions on risk and backcountry skiing" is a hilarious style of guy we have a lot of here
    "Ooh you ski in the backcountry, don't you know its dangerous?"

When I'm meeting new partners I'll ask what education they have as a baseline but it certainly isn't the main indicator for many scenarios. But I did do a mini safety day with some friends last year that was, um, eye opening to say the least (I don't tour with them often). Lets just say we do them more now and most of them have their avy1. Everyone's gotta practice, even the pros.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I guess since that sort of thing is important to you, I’ll throw my vote towards Benny.

But ramble on with whatever point you were trying to make in this thread.
    That's okay
    I can't figure out what the fuck your voting on
    You should make a poll
    And make that vote really count
    And jer smile
    Feel free to bring your mancrush to our annual gathering of bakages in march
    ski on in eternal peace

That's okay
    I can't figure out what the fuck your voting on
    You go on some weird diatribe about something in the avalanche world (educators, forecasters, etc.) every year trying to make people believe that your opinion is fact. Hell, I think you believe that your opinion is fact. Old Goat made the natural inference that you were saying formal training wasn't important, to which you replied "stupid analogy." You then go on to infer that avalanche educators are only in it for the money.

So, really, what is your point in this thread? To attack benny, and then attack anyone who disagrees with whatever ghost point you have?

you may know the basin troller who got caught in an avalanche and came to ussaw and gave a outstanding talk/presentation on black swans and probabilities
    id cliff note his talk for you
    but if informal avvy education was something youre into
    youda been there
    keep ignoring the messages and attacking the messenger
    though
    your crushing it bro
    ski on in eternal peace

keep ignoring the messages and attacking the messenger
    Bwah. Pot, Kettle, Black.

That's the problem, what is your message? I have no idea. And from what you've said about those who study and teach about avalanches, why were you at USAW? Did you smirk at everything they said because you know better?

Some folks are prepared and some are knot.

Benny and stoner go at it again.
    watch out for snakes

Maybe a little tread drift...

So if users are perpetually and chronically unprepared, is it wrong to rent them backcountry gear?

Kinda like "I'll sell you whiskey, but I don't tell you to beat your wife..."

That's pretty much chicken and egg material.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Quote Originally Posted by dongy View Post
    ok boomer
    Lol. Well played.
    And I guess that I just don't know

Wow I'm always amazed how little probalistic risk management has permeated to the US of A and pot smoking bro bras in the last twenty years. Ski cuts and maybe digging pits? Yeah. Futuristic. I've never triggered anything major (large enough to get caught) in 20 years and I know more than 5 people who are just like me. The things (mainly micro slabbish things) I triggered were above the risk level and I knew it before. Never while touring.
    I'm glad we had Munter and people like him. But hey I'm also happy we have communist health care over here...

Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

How did this writer gather statistics and what exactly do the interviewed participants consider an avalanche? I doubt that all of those that said that they've been in slides are being truthful or the "slides" were very significant but I don't know really. There's definitely a douche tough guy vibe with 20 something year olds in mountain towns that could result in a little stretching of the truth.

Anyways, if anyone is caught in a slide that's going to kill them they better hope that the lights go out quickly from trauma because being buried alive until suffocation while being fully conscious is the stuff of nightmares. That shit is seriously horrifying and glorifying it in some cliche "dying doing what I loved" sort of way is fucking retarded.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Wow I'm always amazed how little probalistic risk management has permeated to the US of A and pot smoking bro bras in the last twenty years. Ski cuts and maybe digging pits? Yeah. Futuristic. I've never triggered anything major (large enough to get caught) in 20 years and I know more than 5 people who are just like me. The things (mainly micro slabbish things) I triggered were above the risk level and I knew it before. Never while touring.
    I'm glad we had Munter and people like him. But hey I'm also happy we have communist health care over here...

What kind of snowpack/avalanche problems do you typically deal with where you ski? The answer to this varies widely here in the USA and if you ask me it definitely affects your likelihood to get in a slide. Spending a lot of time in a zone that deals with persistent slab problems may make some people more risk tolerant vs someone who lives somewhere that doesn't deal with them often if ever. CO vs PNW for example.

We have everything here. inner grisons and Valais can be nasty. I tend to avoid those areas with deep instabilities. Actually I didn't tour in 2017 when it was level 2 and good snow because the bulletin said: probability is low, but if you trigger something, you're fucked. We had deep instability all over the place. And some people were buried 12m deep that year.

actually i have a good partner who probably doesnt have much formal edjucation
    who got caught buried and dug out by a maggot and another long time partner with little formal edjucation and was caught actually inbounds at soli himself.
    and he described it more as after the initial im fucked unless my partners who im not even sure were in the slide un fuck me
    as more of a going in and out of a party with music and friends and an erie calm outta body experiance
    thankfully it was a shallow burial they were blessed not to need probes and had their rescue skills dialed cleared the airway and
    despite a missing ski got him back to the hut with the help of our sar team, safe and as sound as a torn achillies allowed
    my friend and touring partner J boy still gits out a good bit
    hell never have the same risk tolerances as before and as a friend and partner thats something i respect
    and cant tell ya mine havent changed
    oh and euro bro forgot
    "der poopenhausen" in that win column
    i shouda stayed over there
    ski on in eternal peace

If you tried to rise above the threshold of incomprehensibility, I might try to respond. But instead I'll simply reply with my air of euro arrogance:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=onPaMnxQ3lo

Quote Originally Posted by Sky_Shoe View Post
    What fraction of avalanche victims do have formal training? Isn't it true that a formal avalanche education is correlated with a higher probability of falling victim to an avalanche?
    According to https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1201101153.htm
    Having avy training does not reduce the risk of being caught, but having a female in a group does reduce risk.

I have also heard that a majority of statistics are made up.
    Check Out Ullr's Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools for iOS and Android
    www.ullrlabs.com