Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Unprepared

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    So it's one thing to give Benny some shit for that incident, but I can't wrap my head around why you seem to be angry about it. You act like your favorite chairlift was dismantled and the terrain permanently closed as a result of Benny's inattentiveness that one time. Give it a rest, you aren't exactly infallible.
    Oh, I've gotten worse from others here about that thing. I catch shit from the hippie because I called him out on his stupid poetry like typing. Belongs in the Shit That Annoys You Thread.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    nothing to see here--just your normal run of the mill cyberbullying
    damn making fun of a guy on tgr for falling off a chairlift is "cyberbullying" now?

some of you old fuckers need to surrender your computers to your grandkids and move along

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    the old gray mare
    needs to be mother fuckin xover high t pain trained
    in

der poopenhausen
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -
    ski on in eternal peace

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    damn making fun of a guy on tgr for falling off a chairlift is "cyberbullying" now?
    Who made Goat our Melania?

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Inbounds this week might not be all that much safer some places..
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Like Fight Club.
    Actually, it's nothing like Fight Club.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    So it's one thing to give Benny some shit for that incident, but I can't wrap my head around why you seem to be angry about it. You act like your favorite chairlift was dismantled and the terrain permanently closed as a result of Benny's inattentiveness that one time. Give it a rest, you aren't exactly infallible.
    in-fall-ible...I see what you did there.

I think Benny rather likes the attention. He's pretty good at defending as well as dishing.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I feel like XXXer speaks SFB. Maybe he could translate.
    if just anyone could understand it what would be the fun in that ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

This entire thread belongs in the shit that annoys you thread.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

Trying to figure out how benny triggered an avalanche getting off the lift..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Bunny vs. SFB is my favorite long-standing grudge match. Both are world class beaters.
    Laps boomers
    crab in my shoe mouth

Like Fight Club.

I have a $2MM life insurance policy, and my wife keeps buying me backcountry gear even so I say I'd rather stay inbounds. Plus that shit seems like a lot of work without a helicopter.
    Plus your life insurance may have an exclusion for "extreme" skiing. I was sitting through a very boring presentation at work and all of the sudden I heard "extreme skiing" and jolted awake, only to find out that my life insurance policy could be rendered useless from a whole list of activities. Twas interesting after that.

Yup. I haven't yet found a policy that will cover me 'off trail' for either sledding or on skis. And off trail is anything that is not a maintained groomed controlled trail.
    My group plan at work doesn't have the exclusion, and work safe coverage also applies for both work and SAR, otherwise my wife might not be so happy with my excursions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1072.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	276.1 KB 
ID:	306522
    I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Plus your life insurance may have an exclusion for "extreme" skiing. I was sitting through a very boring presentation at work and all of the sudden I heard "extreme skiing" and jolted awake, only to find out that my life insurance policy could be rendered useless from a whole list of activities. Twas interesting after that.
    I am wondering when, not if our Health Insurance coverage will start containing exclusions for what they may consider High Risk activities.
    Ooof!

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Yup. I haven't yet found a policy that will cover me 'off trail' for either sledding or on skis. And off trail is anything that is not a maintained groomed controlled trail.
    My group plan at work doesn't have the exclusion, and work safe coverage also applies for both work and SAR, otherwise my wife might not be so happy with my excursions.
    I actually looked after posting this because we switched providers at work recently. No exclusions on our group plan at work now except for drunk driving and private planes.

My wife has thoroughly checked the policy. The only things I can't do are skydive, race motorcycles, or have unprotected sexual relations with HIV positive persons.

No mention of extreme skiing, so that's ok. I told the shop that set the DIN on the new backcountry rig she bought me that I was a Level III+ on the binding chart, so I shouldn't have any pre-releases. But if I do and end up rag dolling off a cliff band, I told her sue the shop and binding manufacturer for a bit extra.

new backcountry rig.
    For inbounds touring?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Got a chance to read the article Benny posted.

I have known Kelli for a bunch of years and she is a good instructor and has a lot of experience.

I don't think anyone who has been around any ski area or highway pass that has easy side-country access would be surprised the findings from her admittedly small sample size.

A Grad Student at MSU has been working on a similar study at the Saddle Peak boundary and I believe the stats he has developed are pretty much the same.

https://avalanche.org/wp-content/upl...Sykes_etal.pdf

As long as there are lifts that unload near tempting terrain there will be folks who are willing to roll the dice and for most recreational skiers who venture outside the mitigated areas that is what their "Backcountry" skiing amounts to.
    Ooof!

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    For inbounds touring?
    Straight up the hill under the lift so everyone can see me, then at the top off to the side to get the goods.

I finally got the State Farm agent to tell me there is zero chance I can ever collect on any type of policy that she sells. Drunk enough might be the exception because you could potentially meet the legal criteria for dead long enough and then try to collect. Not sure what the deal is with private planes but maybe not enough oversite for people that just disappear in a private plane and then assume the identity of their 'beneficiary'
    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I actually looked after posting this because we switched providers at work recently. No exclusions on our group plan at work now except for drunk driving and private planes.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    nothing to see here--just your normal run of the mill cyberbullying
    FWI I too have fallen on the unloading ramp--dragged down by the noob snowboarder who grabbed a hold of me as she went down. Then there was the snowboarder who stood on my tails as we unloaded. Definitely more unloading training needed.
    I got taken down on the offloading ramp two years ago by a snowboarder that ran over my skis and I once got dragged around the bullwheel by my packs hip strap that got caught in the chair lift while in patrol uniform! That was a pitcher or three!

I guess I'm a gaper. No fucks for giving though..........
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Life insurance can be a hustle. Many policies that dont immediately exclude high risk activities are underwritten after the fact. In that, they dont actually determine if your eligible for coverage until you are dead... or in the case of some employer provided plans, the value of the policy is so little, that it maters not anyway.

Probably worth getting something in writing from your broker and clarifying how the policy is underwritten. as rad it would be to die doing something you love, your family isn't going to be stoked having to litigate over your policy or just straight up not get paid out.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto