Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Unprepared

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    I have also heard that a majority of statistics are made up.
    87.31% to be exact

(Including this one)

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    87.31% to be exact

(Including this one)
    “Over the past two winters, volunteers with the Northwest Avalanche Center Trailhead Project have set up tents at backcountry access points across the Pacific Northwest, surveying skiers, snowshoers and snowmobilers as they head into avalanche terrain. They have conducted 1,597 surveys, delivering rare insight about backcountry travelers in the Pacific Northwest. Initial numbers reported in the October issue of The Avalanche Review magazine show 48.4% of respondents reported having no avalanche training and 53.7% were traveling with no avalanche safety equipment”
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Bwah. Pot, Kettle, Black.

That's the problem, what is your message? I have no idea. And from what you've said about those who study and teach about avalanches, why were you at USAW? Did you smirk at everything they said because you know better?
    I think he's saying that you're going to die in an avalanche no matter what you do so why bother with training, but it's SFB so who the hell knows what he's really saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    “Over the past two winters, volunteers with the Northwest Avalanche Center Trailhead Project have set up tents at backcountry access points across the Pacific Northwest, surveying skiers, snowshoers and snowmobilers as they head into avalanche terrain. They have conducted 1,597 surveys, delivering rare insight about backcountry travelers in the Pacific Northwest. Initial numbers reported in the October issue of The Avalanche Review magazine show 48.4% of respondents reported having no avalanche training and 53.7% were traveling with no avalanche safety equipment”
    so some people with training were traveling without gear. maybe SFB is right.

Some guide stands by a BC gate at Vail and found people without training or gear? Big Fucking surprise there
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Some guide stands by a BC gate at Vail and found people without training or gear? Big Fucking surprise there
    lol yeah

Been digging folks out from under the snow most of my life.
    Full spectrum of experience and education or lack thereof.
    Never judged, never will.
    Those dice, they don't care either...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    You do realize I was joking, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    You do realize I was joking, right?
    Of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I think he's saying that you're going to die in an avalanche no matter what you do so why bother with training, but it's SFB so who the hell knows what he's really saying.
    I feel like XXXer speaks SFB. Maybe he could translate.

This thread is great. most of you are full of it.

I did my first formal avalanche training a life time ago with the military, Mountain OPs / JTF kind crew. One of the hardest motherfuckers I have ever meet sat my young verbose ass down in the first week and gave this little bit of wisdom.

"Those who have been in the shit, don't talk about the shit."
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Most of you missed SFB's point.
    Avalanches don't know that you are an expert.
    Then it turned into a pissing match and the point was lost.

That was the point? Are you sure?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    yup im sure
    just as sure as im not or ever will be an expert at snow science or avalanches
    or is being one a guarantee of not making mistakes
    and im pretty sure I'm still reigning fastest beacon in the satch champ
    cause they only held that comp 1 year
    and i won
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -
    ski on in eternal peace

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    That was the point? Are you sure?
    I certainly don’t know what the point was/is, but it occurs to me that the poor quality of communication between silos of individuality so humorously displayed in this thread models the miserable level of backcountry preparedness observable at any trailhead.

From my perspective, understanding something as complex as snowpack and acquiring the discipline to overcome the variety of maladapted instincts leading us astray requires more patience/training/mentorship/humility/etc than most part-time recreational skiers could even contemplate.

However, lots of people are making money from lots more people having fun skiing in the backcountry, most of whom don’t have a fucking clue, including most that think they do, but most of the time the level of fatalities is acceptably low. C’est la vie.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Most of you missed SFB's point.
    Avalanches don't know that you are an expert.
    Then it turned into a pissing match and the point was lost.
    Nah, SFB's real point is that he doesn't like Benny.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    i'm good w dying. i'm not really pushing it these days but i'm good w dying in an avalanche. been hit twice on a road bike by cars. heuristics are apparently a thing.
    unless you live in a vacuum don't forget about what you leave behind, the wife the kids the family the finances, IME it can be a real fucking mess
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Nah, SFB's real point is that he doesn't like Benny.
    Bingo.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    unless you live in a vacuum don't forget about what you leave behind, the wife the kids the family the finances, IME it can be a real fucking mess
    Or even just your parents having to bury you before they die is fucked up. Siblings, friends, coworkers all care about others too.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Or even just your parents having to bury you before they die is fucked up. Siblings, friends, coworkers all care about others too.
    This.
    Children should outlive their parents.
    Its the natural way.
    Kinda like suicide; the folks you leave behind are the ones suffering.
    Not you.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post

I did my first formal avalanche training a life time ago with the military, Mountain OPs / JTF kind crew. One of the hardest motherfuckers I have ever meet sat my young verbose ass down in the first week and gave this little bit of wisdom.

Like Fight Club.

I have a $2MM life insurance policy, and my wife keeps buying me backcountry gear even so I say I'd rather stay inbounds. Plus that shit seems like a lot of work without a helicopter.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Like Fight Club.

I have a $2MM life insurance policy, and my wife keeps buying me backcountry gear even so I say I'd rather stay inbounds. Plus that shit seems like a lot of work without a helicopter.
    She can buy you a used astar for about a half mil--still leaves her with 1.5 million. And she can get the helicopter even cheaper and she might not have to wait for an avalanche.

Inbounds this week might not be all that much safer some places..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post

i ponder if maybe he wasnt refering to the nam
    vrs the bc
    but i wasnt there

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Inbounds this week might not be all that much safer some places..
    especially if youre unprepared
    for the offload ramp
    id like to thank tfw and all the snow safety guys who put "keep yur tips up" signs up to help the
    ya know the
    unprepared jerry's
    especially the ones lacking formal chairlift safety edjucations
    and the ones whove been caught unprepared before
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -
    ski on in eternal peace

So it's one thing to give Benny some shit for that incident, but I can't wrap my head around why you seem to be angry about it. You act like your favorite chairlift was dismantled and the terrain permanently closed as a result of Benny's inattentiveness that one time. Give it a rest, you aren't exactly infallible.
    Set my compass North, I got Winter in my blood.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    So it's one thing to give Benny some shit for that incident, but I can't wrap my head around why you seem to be angry about it. You act like your favorite chairlift was dismantled and the terrain permanently closed as a result of Benny's inattentiveness that one time. Give it a rest, you aren't exactly infallible.
    nothing to see here--just your normal run of the mill cyberbullying
    FWI I too have fallen on the unloading ramp--dragged down by the noob snowboarder who grabbed a hold of me as she went down. Then there was the snowboarder who stood on my tails as we unloaded. Definitely more unloading training needed.