Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Faction Candide 3.0

Anyone have significant time on any of the Candides? I’ve been skiing the 204cm 3.0s this week and am having a blast on them.

I’ve hard of some durability issues, but haven’t been able to get more info about which years, models, etc, had the issues.

Best comparison I can come by so far is these feel like a modern GunSmoke, which is awesome cause I’ve missed mine. They aren’t as soft as some people have said. Weight didn’t seem to be an issue today in our cut up pow, they did what I wanted when and didn’t get deflected as I thought they would.

I did have them not grab an edge on me once, but I was going 40 mph into a small bump field and tried to throw them sideways to slow down. The tip and tail did flap a bit trying to grab and edge, but it wasn’t to be.

The skis did what I asked, and how I asked. I can’t ask for anything else. Their wasn’t a learning curve, I just pointed them and skied. First ski I’ve instantly clicked with in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I've got about 50 days on a pair. I absolutely love them with one caveat, I got the 162s and really wish I got the 176s, but I'm tiny and the 162s were about $350 cheaper.... Ignoring that sizing issue here has been my experience. They can carve hardpack (do people do that on TGR?) way better than they have any reason too for the waist size. I got down a run one time and met up with a friend on the lift and he looks down at my skis and goes "Holy shit dude I thought you were on your slalom skis watching you come down". They are so much fun in cut up pow, they don't go through it but rather love to just bounce around and off everything. Every little thing is a kicker. I do wish they were every so slightly heavier but that is likely due to me needed a longer size instead. Durability issues I haven't had any but I stay out of the park.

I completely agree with your last statement "The skis did what I asked, and how I asked. I can’t ask for anything else. There wasn’t a learning curve, I just pointed them and skied. First ski I’ve instantly clicked with in a while.". Felt the same way the instant I got on them, when I can justify soon enough it I think I am gonna get another pair in the correct size.

EDIT: About me, 135lbs 5' 5". Fairly aggressive ex-racer from the east coast. Not quite used to this powder stuff yet. Have skied them all over in storms at Jackson, Alta, Snowbird, Mammoth, Squaw, as well as sugarbush and whiteface ice.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    I've got about 50 days on a pair. I absolutely love them with one caveat, I got the 162s and really wish I got the 176s, but I'm tiny and the 162s were about $350 cheaper.... Ignoring that sizing issue here has been my experience. They can carve hardpack (do people do that on TGR?) way better than they have any reason too for the waist size. I got down a run one time and met up with a friend on the lift and he looks down at my skis and goes "Holy shit dude I thought you were on your slalom skis watching you come down". They are so much fun in cut up pow, they don't go through it but rather love to just bounce around and off everything. Every little thing is a kicker. I do wish they were every so slightly heavier but that is likely due to me needed a longer size instead. Durability issues I haven't had any but I stay out of the park.

I completely agree with your last statement "The skis did what I asked, and how I asked. I can’t ask for anything else. There wasn’t a learning curve, I just pointed them and skied. First ski I’ve instantly clicked with in a while.". Felt the same way the instant I got on them, when I can justify soon enough it I think I am gonna get another pair in the correct size.

EDIT: About me, 135lbs 5' 5". Fairly aggressive ex-racer from the east coast. Not quite used to this powder stuff yet. Have skied them all over in storms at Jackson, Alta, Snowbird, Mammoth, Squaw, as well as sugarbush and whiteface ice.
    My buddies today knew I was on my Candide 3.0s, but were amazed at how fast I took off on the groomers, even with the mini bumps that had been forming, it was a storm day. They would carve amazingly well for how rough the groomers were. And if I wanted to let them run bases flat, they would sort of just float over everything but in a less violent way then my stiff charging skis do.

The first time I went to double a bump, I almost tripled cause they pop so easily and smoothly. It took me a few kickers to adjust, but now everything on the mountain is a kicker. The tails have such a smooth pop, it’s deceiving.

I was also really surprised at how the whole ski loaded up in the medium heavy pow we had today, and popped into the next turn. The first few times it caught me off guard. I’m used to Shiros and my Super Freerides which don’t do that. Once I started to get a feel for how the ski loaded, I could use that to get into the next turn quicker and easier.

I’ve to 80lbs and 10” on you, and prefer long skis, so I got the 204s which were also on sale. My friends asked how long they were, and everyone was surprised when I said 204 cm, because they look proportionally correct on me.

Have you tried any other Factions?

Agreed with all of the above, I've lent them to some friends who share similar sentiments. Everyone is always stoked when they get on them.

I haven't skied any other factions. I have a friend who is a much better skier than I (Used to be a freedride/mogul coach) swear by his Dictators. I'm looking into the candide 2.0s to fill a spot in my quiver, but it sounds like they are pretty different from the 3.0s and not just a narrow version.

I’ve never heard such high praise for a ski blade, have you tried skiing an appropriately sized ski before?

Hahaha my other skis are 178, 182, and 173 (touring) which are plenty big for my size. Just got a screaming deal on these ski blades....

I've been doing a lot of research of wanting an all-mountain do it all kind of ski in the mid-fat range and have been leaning towards the 3.0s... Im 5'8" about 165lbs and definitely not an ex ski racer. Im a solid upper intermediate- advanced skier. Im thinking of leaning towards the 176s over the 182s to keep things light to maybe put some shifts on these for next season to start touring... Was curious of your thoughts... does it ski super short? I don't want to get the 182s and feel like they are too much skis and can't progress as a skier.

I had a pair of this past seasons 186 3.0s but never mounted them, and ended up selling them to a buddy of mine.

Went skiing with him during his first time on them, and he was popping all over the place. It appears there's absolutely 0 learning curve for that ski, and he seems to really like them.

I don't know how they handle crud and such, but it seems to be a really balanced and jibby all mountain ski. Reminded me of how I liked to ski my meridians, but with camber.
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

Quote Originally Posted by djbartlett21 View Post
    I've been doing a lot of research of wanting an all-mountain do it all kind of ski in the mid-fat range and have been leaning towards the 3.0s... Im 5'8" about 165lbs and definitely not an ex ski racer. Im a solid upper intermediate- advanced skier. Im thinking of leaning towards the 176s over the 182s to keep things light to maybe put some shifts on these for next season to start touring... Was curious of your thoughts... does it ski super short? I don't want to get the 182s and feel like they are too much skis and can't progress as a skier.
    Hmm that's a tough one. Regardless of my sizing on this ski, I almost always advocate for longer skis. But a bit shorter is helpful for touring IMO. It depends how you intend to ski these. If you intend to sit centered and bounce around on them then shorter would probably be more fun. If you want to lay down some long turns with a fair amount of weight on the tips then longer would be better. I would demo if you get the chance. Maybe someone else can chime in too.

Hmm that's a tough one. Regardless of my sizing on this ski, I almost always advocate for longer skis. But a bit shorter is helpful for touring IMO. It depends how you intend to ski these. If you intend to sit centered and bounce around on them then shorter would probably be more fun. If you want to lay down some long turns with a fair amount of weight on the tips then longer would be better. I would demo if you get the chance. Maybe someone else can chime in too.
    I honestly think I would be more confident on the 176s and with these being my all mountain do everything ski I think the 176s would be perfect for that especially for a 50/50 in the future for backcountry tours... I demoed the 174 salomon qst's last year and felt comfortable after the first handful of runs. Wasn't crazy about them but i think I just figured out this years sticks!! But would still love to hear others' opinions!

I'm on the 194s from last year, started at the "candide" mounting point which was a mistake, as I couldn't for the life of me ski powder with them. Moved my bindings back to .5 behind the "all mountain" point, and holy shit, hands down my favorite resort ski. They do basically everything I ask them to. They are playful when I want to rip short little turns, ski moguls, slash pow, etc. They are powerful when I want to do big long radius turns. They are just super easy and fun to ski. For how light they are they are just incredible skis.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Tell me more about the 204. There is a new pair for sale locally not too expensive.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

I went long, 204cm, and am really happy. I would personally get the 194 to tour on, but mainly because I can get skins long enough. I would not go any shorter for me.

I’m also on the all mountain line and feel it’s perfect. If I had demo bindings on them I’d try -1 but I have no need to drill these again to try them back further. On the all mountain line works really well.

Wondering what other's thoughts are... There is an older thread on here about the Candide 3.0s vs. the BC Atris whats your guys opinion's between the 2.. I've been looking at both this season...

Wondering what other's thoughts are... There is an older thread on here about the Candide 3.0s vs. the BC Atris whats your guys opinion's between the 2.. I've been looking at both this season...
    I’m just not a Black Crows fan, but the ones I’ve tried are the 18X, and I don’t like skis that short

I picked up a used set of 2017/18 3.0s (186), threw some Shifts on them for general resort use/occasional slack country and they're saweeeeet! So poppy it's almost ridiculous and they can actually carve! I was on a pair of automatic 109s before these and it's night and day. Love them so much I got a new set for touring! Mounted up with MTNs and they're decently light.

I kind of want a pair of 4.0s for slightly deeper days...

I have a pair of 190cm Faction Candide 3.0 (108mm white models EDIT: they are 112mm 2020 models) mounted on the linewith Guardians. I really like them but they aren’t what I expected. I was looking for fun skis to jib around the mountain on but got trucks. They remind me a lot of my 203cm Volkl Shiros. Want to go fast as hell, make big turns, shocking edge grip on hard pack, and truck though crappy snow. Totally opposite of what I expected.

I think it’s because I don’t weigh enough to properly load the tails for ollies. Plus apparently I’ve skipped every covid leg day. I’m thinking of stepping down to the 184s but haven’t been on a ski that short in a *very* long time. Any thoughts? Ideally I’d keep most of the stability but gain silliness.

6’3” 176lbs. Coming off 190cm Kastle XX110 that I love but are shot. I tend to like floppy skis that can still hold an edge.
    Last edited by TexasGortex; 01-22-2021 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGortex View Post
    I have a pair of 190cm Faction Candide 3.0 (108mm white models) mounted on the linewith Guardians. I really like them but they aren’t what I expected. I was looking for fun skis to jib around the mountain on but got trucks. They remind me a lot of my 203cm Volkl Shiros. Want to go fast as hell, make big turns, shocking edge grip on hard pack, and truck though crappy snow. Totally opposite of what I expected.

I think it’s because I don’t weigh enough to properly load the tails for ollies. Plus apparently I’ve skipped every covid leg day. I’m thinking of stepping down to the 184s but haven’t been on a ski that short in a *very* long time. Any thoughts? Ideally I’d keep most of the stability but gain silliness.

6’3” 176lbs. Coming off 190cm Kastle XX110 that I love but are shot. I tend to like floppy skis that can still hold an edge.
    I think the guardians are your enemy here, not the skis.

My kid snapped a pair of maybe 2017s or 2018s in half by buttering all the time when he was 16 and about 145lbs. However, I'd say he skied them very hard and Faction stood behind them. I am impressed by them as a company. He was on 176s. FWIW I think they ski on the shorter side.

I've got my daughter on Prodigys. She loves them and she skis like a lunatic. No issues with them. I'd buy more Factions without concerns. I'm actually looking for a small pair of Candide 3.0s for her now.

Maybe some of that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by justo8484 View Post
    I think the guardians are your enemy here, not the skis.
    Yeah, this is surprising for sure. I always considered Candides floppy as shit. Like completely uncomparable to the Shiros. Maybe it is the bindings, or maybe you aren't getting back far enough to bend the tails? But those tails bend if you look at them too hard. Very odd.

I’m also surprised. For what it’s worth I haven’t had issues with Guardians before but this is only the 2nd or 3rd set of skis I’ve used them on so small sample size.

I feel like I don’t have enough leverage to really load up and bend the tails. It’s unclear if it’s not being able to get my ass out over the tails or I’m just too light. This is not a problem I’m used to having. I’m not a total stranger to forward mounts or skis of similar flex but man does it feel like there is a ton of tail back there when to go to butter/Ollie/pop type load the tails.

For what it’s worth I’m also impressed with the skis. I like them a lot, they just aren’t what I expected and I was looking to fill a bit more mellow/fun slot in the quiver.

Maybe I need to remount them and dust off the Alpine Wreckers. I’m not going to lie, I haven’t missed carrying them around.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    My kid snapped a pair of maybe 2017s or 2018s in half by buttering all the time when he was 16 and about 145lbs. However, I'd say he skied them very hard and Faction stood behind them. I am impressed by them as a company. He was on 176s. FWIW I think they ski on the shorter side.

I've got my daughter on Prodigys. She loves them and she skis like a lunatic. No issues with them. I'd buy more Factions without concerns. I'm actually looking for a small pair of Candide 3.0s for her now.

Maybe some of that helps.
    Oh man, my "kid" has destroyed 3 pairs of CT 3.0's, snapped a pair, delammed 2. But Faction keep sending him new pairs so he keeps skiing them. Also- all 3 prs of this model ski he's had are different. The oldest 108's were like noodles with a ton of pop and playfulness, then they beefed that model up with a sheet of titanal(or something), then changed the ski to a 112 and it became even less playful and more of a charger.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Having skied a ski with both frame bindings and pivots, the difference that the binding makes on the tail of the ski is very noticeable. The candide sounds exactly like the ski you're hoping for it to be, without a frame binding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Oh man, my "kid" has destroyed 3 pairs of CT 3.0's, snapped a pair, delammed 2. But Faction keep sending him new pairs so he keeps skiing them. Also- all 3 prs of this model ski he's had are different. The oldest 108's were like noodles with a ton of pop and playfulness, then they beefed that model up with a sheet of titanal(or something), then changed the ski to a 112 and it became even less playful and more of a charger.
    Mine have the titanal (or something) but are still 108mm

I think these changes make getting consistent info more difficult than usual

Quote Originally Posted by justo8484 View Post
    Having skied a ski with both frame bindings and pivots, the difference that the binding makes on the tail of the ski is very noticeable. The candide sounds exactly like the ski you're hoping for it to be, without a frame binding.
    Noted. Sounds like some binding swapping experiments are in order.

Goddamn Wreckers are haunting me