What happened to my Helio 105s

I put away a pair of BD Helio 105s at the end of my season, and just took them out and was heartbroken to find that one of them appears to be irreversibly fucked. It’s lost all its camber underfoot and the tip makes contact just in front of the binding (13” inches further back than the other ski, on a 175 cm ski). Any ideas why this would possibly happen? They’re not even close to clapped out and have maybe 30 days on them over 3 seasons. I’m wondering if my method of voile strapping them together (tied at the two points of contact, tip and tail, with the strap between the skis to keep the bases from rubbing) is a terrible idea. Any ideas for how to attempt to fix it? Can I banana the other ski and rock em in pow? They’re unskiable as they stand, but I’m hoping for a miracle.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1729.JPG 
Views:	222 
Size:	254.3 KB 
ID:	305939Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1730.JPG 
Views:	209 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	305940

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mrkbrnblm View Post
    I’m wondering if my method of voile strapping them together (tied at the two points of contact, tip and tail, with the strap between the skis to keep the bases from rubbing) is a terrible idea
    That's exactly how I store BC skis w/o brakes. Skis with brakes just get a strap at the tip contact point -- velcro straps for alpine skis.

That is a really weird thing to have happen. Were the skis new last season? (i.e. warranty request time?)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Good to hear it's not the straps and that I can put the pairs back together in the quiver. I'm just stacking singles over here worried I'm fucking things up. They're a few seasons old and I bought them here for a sweet deal, so I can't complain too much. I'm sure the holes I drilled in both ends also void any warranty out there, unfortunately.

Can we get a full side profile shot of the messed up ski?
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

Did you store them all summer long in a shed that got up to 150 degrees in the sun? I have no idea what can do that to a ski other than a serious temperature excursion...

Main killers would be large temperature swings or prolonged exposure to moisture. How/where did you store them?

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app

Not a case of wild temperature swings or humidity. They were in my apartment in a corner of the room on a rack with lots of other skis that have no visible issues. I’ll post a full rocker pic tomorrow.

Have you mounted multiple different bindings on them and if so how were the holes plugged? If water gets in and rots the core I could imagine the ski cracking under foot causing it to flatten out there. Also the bindings in them now... if you pull the screws are any of them rusted?

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

It is possible you stuffed the ski hard at the end of last season, and bent it without noticing?

The fact that the bend starts right in front of the toe piece is rather solid evidence.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 12-13-2019 at 07:45 AM.

I had a pair do that after being on car ski rack. I bought a box. Really windy on way to mammoth and rocker caught. But that’s all I got.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

WHAT HAPPENED TO MY HELIO 105S

Call Black Diamond.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Ditto. It could be the wood used for the core wasn't cured properly. When wood dries it shrinks, and would make that tip pull back.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

"the tip makes contact just in front of the binding."

BD could cut the ski in half at that bend and check the core for water rot, but iit doesn't really sound like a warranty issue. Is the bend in front of the toe, or under the toe where the holes are? Two mounts? It is a lightweight touring ski, unfortunately.

Hopefully BD has a used single they can send for the cost of shipping or a low "crash replacement" price.

You should reach out to this guy:

https://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanche/48690

And see if you can get his (now solo) Helio105

This has happened to my 2017 Helio Carbon 95. Stored in my unattached garage, so heat was likely a contributor but I feel like then it should have affected both skis.

Those look beat to fucking death for 30 days.
    Training for Alpental